The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Your Team Sucks: Vancouver Canucks

MJDDawg

Can't say I agree with EVERYTHING but some of it is definitely on point.

I disagree with his evaluation of our team. A lot of those players mentioned were brought in as part of the rebuild+stay competitive plan. These are players that due to depth of their previous team were not getting a fair shake. This group of Canucks is oozing with potential and if the so called "foundational pieces" stay healthy as a group there is lots of potential for growth.

mccann was a softy that dipsey doodles too much. He played on the perimeter too much, fell down a lot, and didn't seem to withstand the riggors of the NHL. His departure does not heart our depth at all because of the aquisition of Markus Granlund early in the season.

Again, as other people have pointed out, they are bashing other teams as well. Take it as it is: Entertainment. This is my favourite part from their piece on the Oilers.

After years of sucking, the Oilers have determined it was Actually Good Player Taylor Hall that was the problem. He was shipped to New Jersey for good, but by no means, amazing defenseman Adam Larsson, and....that's it. That's the ENTIRE trade. The Oilers took a severe downgrade just to slightly improve their defense. That's like amputating your leg because you broke your arm. That's like deciding your salad needs more dressing, so you trade your salad for more dressing, and then drink the dressing.

:lol: 

I think people are getting offended because everything he said is true. The team is all over the place. I was fine with Gudbranson as a transition piece and future leader of the team, because a defensive D is probably the least of our needs outside of goaltending. But to go out and get Eriksson means this team IS trying to win tomorrow. 

Last year was such a joke, but so was the 2013-2014 season and we made the playoffs the following year. I am not writing the team of by any stretch, but this hilarious article is on point. Now we just need to prove everybody wrong. 

I fully realize the piece in question is meant to be a humorous take on things and have to admit some portions were pretty funny (and accurate at times).

So I really have no problem with reading about how much we "suck" here in Canuckland.

It's healthy to be able to laugh at ourselves a bit.

The only part I really disagree with is where our fanbase is described as fickle and disloyal (when we're losing), especially as compared to Toronto. 

Even more so when I see local fans agree with such a characterization.

While it's true that some of the smaller market, "heartland" cities in this country will support their teams through thick and thin (largely because there's often just nothing better to do for the fans in those places), when it comes to Canada's larger, more cosmopolitan cities, like Vancouver or Toronto, the fan support is pretty similar. 

The only difference is that the GTA is much larger than the GVRD.

Greater Toronto actually has the population base to support at least two separate NHL teams. The Leafs selling out their building should be a given due to the sheer numbers in that market. In fact, based on their population, MLSE should have about 50,000 paying fans wanting to buy tickets every night (to show an equivalent level of fan support/interest to Vancouver).

But the Leafs' sellout streak ended in 2015. And their TV audience was down 30% that same year.

Based on population, Toronto failing to sellout their building would be like Vancouver playing to a less than half full house.

So no, the average Toronto hockey fan has not "stridently suffered through worse" (although they've certainly has it worse than us for quite a while) and doesn't "still care [more]" than Vancouver hockey fans.

The Maple Leafs futility over the years has whittled away at their support to the point where their massive market base doesn't produce enough paying fans to sellout their building. This is no small feat.

Again, based on population, not selling out in Toronto is like having a half empty barn in Vancouver. You just have to consider the numbers involved.

Based on the size of the markets, one could easily argue that Toronto hockey fans do not support their team, through winning or losing, nearly as much as their counterparts in Vancouver.

In fact, there might be an even greater proportion of "fair weather fans" back east. It's just that their market is so large that the "die hards" are numerous enough to carry their attendance figures through losing seasons while the bandwagon-types stay away. 

So I think Toronto media should be a little more hesitant when casting stones at the "fickle hockey fans" in Vancouver.

And Vancouver fans shouldn't allow this myth to become a reality in their minds.

Certainly our fanbase could be better (especially when we lose). But we're really no worse (or better) than any other city. In fact, I think we have a comparatively strong "die hard" group and overall level of support.

We just have a beautiful city that doesn't look turn into a frozen wasteland for half the hockey season.

So who cares if some fans decide they have better things to do and stay away when we're losing. The fact that so many of us have paid for games, and continue to do so, through the good times and the bad, is proof that we're not a "fair weather" fanbase (even though, meterologically speaking, we enjoy the fairest weather in the country--especially during the hockey season).

Sid, sometimes there's just no analyzing things. Logic won't work on this one - even if you're right.

4 hours ago, nzan said:

This whole thing just read like a roast.

Taken in that light it's pretty funny.

Exactly. I don't know how anyone can read that as serious indictments of the Canucks in an article meant to be a legitimate assessment.

19 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Sid, sometimes there's just no analyzing things. Logic won't work on this one - even if you're right.

Yeah, I suppose I wasn't responding to the piece as much as I was responding to some of the other posters in this thread.

The idea of Vancouver being more "fickle" than Toronto is just as much (if not more) of a joke as all the other humorous points made in that piece.

So I guess I'm not really arguing against the writer making the assertion (especially when done in jest).

It's more that it bothers me when our some of fans accept such notions as fact.

The rest of Canada has a long history of taking potshots at the folks in "Lotusland" (which we often deserve). It's all in good fun and we can give as good as we get.

But as far as comparing the quality of the hockey fans across the country goes, Vancouver should probably receive a little more respect (and certainly more self respect).

14 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, I suppose I wasn't responding to the piece as much as I was responding to some of the other posters in this thread.

The idea of Vancouver being more "fickle" than Toronto is just as much (if not more) of a joke as all the other humorous points made in that piece.

So I guess I'm not really arguing against the writer making the assertion (especially when done in jest).

It's more that it bothers me when our some of fans accept such notions as fact.

The rest of Canada has a long history of taking potshots at the folks in "Lotusland" (which we often deserve). It's all in good fun and we can give as good as we get.

But as far as comparing the quality of the hockey fans across the country goes, Vancouver should probably receive a little more respect (and certainly more self respect).

I don't see it changing though. Maybe it's because the Canucks were the best team in the country for a while, and that built up some animosity amongst the fools cheering for the other teams. Or maybe it's because there are a fair portion of Canadians that drink turpentine to stay warm in the winter.

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I fully realize the piece in question is meant to be a humorous take on things and have to admit some portions were pretty funny (and accurate at times).

So I really have no problem with reading about how much we "suck" here in Canuckland.

The only part I really disagree with is where our fanbase is described as fickle and disloyal (when we're losing), especially as compared to Toronto. 

While it's true that some of the smaller market, "heartland" cities in this country will support their teams through thick and thin (largely because there's often just nothing better to do for the fans in those places), when it comes to Canada's larger, more cosmopolitan cities, like Vancouver or Toronto, the fan support is pretty similar. 

Greater Toronto actually has the population base to support at least two separate NHL teams. The Leafs selling out their building should be a given due to the sheer numbers in that market. In fact, based on their population, MLSE should have about 50,000 paying fans wanting to buy tickets every night (to show an equivalent level of fan support/interest to Vancouver).

But the Leafs' sellout streak ended in 2015. And their TV audience was down 30% that same year.

Based on population, Toronto failing to sellout their building would be like Vancouver playing to a less than half full house.

So no, the average Toronto hockey fan has not "stridently suffered through worse" (although they've certainly has it worse than us for quite a while) and doesn't "still care [more]" than Vancouver hockey fans.

The Maple Leafs futility over the years has whittled away at their support to the point where their massive market base doesn't produce enough paying fans to sellout their building. This is no small feat.

Again, based on population, not selling out in Toronto is like having a half empty barn in Vancouver. You just have to consider the numbers involved.

Based on the size of the markets, one could easily argue that Toronto hockey fans do not support their team, through winning or losing, nearly as much as their counterparts in Vancouver.

In fact, there might be an even greater proportion of "fair weather fans" back east. It's just that their market is so large that the "die hards" are numerous enough to carry their attendance figures through losing seasons while the bandwagon-types stay away. 

So I think Toronto media should be a little more hesitant when casting stones at the "fickle hockey fans" in Vancouver.

And Vancouver fans shouldn't allow this myth to become a reality in their minds.

Certainly our fanbase could be better (especially when we lose). But we're really no worse (or better) than any other city. In fact, I think we have a comparatively strong "die hard" group and overall level of support.

We just have a beautiful city that doesn't look turn into a frozen wasteland for half the hockey season.

So who cares if some fans decide they have better things to do and stay away when we're losing. The fact that so many of us have paid for games, and continue to do so, through the good times and the bad, is proof that we're not a "fair weather" fanbase (even though, meterologically speaking, we enjoy the fairest weather in the country--especially during the hockey season).

We didn't even sell out game 5 of our last playoff series. If that isn't the definition of fair weather, I don't know what is. Empty seats at a home playoff game?!? With a large number of Calgary jersey's in the crowd, Pathetic. There will never be a winter classic or stadium game here again, it was a complete disaster. 

The other argument I hear all the time is that there is nothing to do in Calgary, Edmonton or Winnipeg in the winter so that is why they sell out. This is seriously the stupidest argument I have ever heard in my entire lifespan. 

1. Games are played at night. The notion that rain soaked Vancouver is so full of outdoor beauty and wonder during the middle of January is laughable all in itself. The fact that the games are played in the dark completely negates this utterly dumb concept. 

2. Nothing to do in the winter in a winter city? Let's say nobody worked and games started at 12pm across western Canada. In Vancouver it's most likely raining. Things to do in Vancouver:

- Put on a rain coat and walk along the ocean. 

- eat sushi

- drink craft beer at a pub. 

- drive to whistler and ski on artificiality made slush.  

- go to Victoria and admire the ocean dawning a rain coat. 

- go to a indoor rink or swimming venue. 

Things to to do in any winter City.

- gather friends and beers to play for the Stanley cup on an outdoor rink. 

- gather friends and beers and go ice fishing

- gather friends and Pepsi (don't drink and drive) and hit the snowmobile trails. 

- gather friends and go to Banff, Jasper, Whitefish and ski on legit snow. 

- do everything you can do in Vancouver only no rain. 

There is absolutely no excuse for Vancouver's empty seats. 

This wasn't written in jest. It was written to get traffic through provocation using humour as a smoke screen. Just another internet writer trying to be funny. Overall, that's what this is.

It's kinda like T-ball and lining up the ball on the stick. Only in this case, the writer is lining up the fan base for reactions and clicks.

If you take out the schtick and gimmick, he makes a few credible points. But no one would read it without the provocative humour.

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Not too sure if this guy classifies as Toronto media, given he is from Vancouver. 

Being a very dedicated Canucks fan, and on the boards a long time (2001-2002 season) and getting exposure to the Toronto market, I hate to say it but the stones cast at Vancouver's fan base are very well warranted. We are as bad, if not even worse than our reputation. 

In Toronto, if the team is semi-competitive (playoffs or close) the fan base loves them. If they suck year after year the non-hardcore fans move attention to baseball or basketball. The hardcore fans get excited about change, albeit face constant disappointment. There are a lot who are jaded and rightfully fed-up, which you can expect given how awful they are. 

In Vancouver, if the team is semi-competitive the fans don't care because they "won't win the cup anyway and might as well rebuild". If they are very competitive the fans are angry if they don't win the cup. If they suck, well again people care even less. The fan base, while up and down, was more or less pretty good during the WCE era but terrible during the Luongo era. The WCE the fans were overly dramatic about the negatives but equally as excited about the positives. The Luongo era is defined by only people caring about the Stanley Cup, which is a but of an unrealistic expectation in a 30 team league. 

Don't forget that Leafs games are insanely expensive, double the price of Canucks tickets, even when the team sucks. I would never pay $100+ for upper bowl seats to see my team get blown out of the water. 

Leafs fans aren't nearly as bad as people in Vancouver take them for. The fans I have talked to generally cheered for Vancouver in the Stanley Cup Finals. Vancouver to Toronto is what Ottawa is to Vancouver (don't really care, but will cheer for them in a finals situation), and I don't have too much trouble talking about my team and at least having people semi-interested (especially at Marlies games, Leafs fans ask me a lot of questions about Vancouver's farm team, best prospects etc).

The middle-child analogy is pretty much bang on. I really don't understand why our fanbase feels we need so much attention, especially now that we are a bottom feeder team. 

10 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

In Vancouver, if the team is semi-competitive the fans don't care because they "won't win the cup anyway and might as well rebuild". If they are very competitive the fans are angry if they don't win the cup. If they suck, well again people care even less. 

The middle-child analogy is pretty much bang on. I really don't understand why our fanbase feels we need so much attention, especially now that we are a bottom feeder team. 

Broad strokes..

23 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Not too sure if this guy classifies as Toronto media, given he is from Vancouver. 

Being a very dedicated Canucks fan, and on the boards a long time (2001-2002 season) and getting exposure to the Toronto market, I hate to say it but the stones cast at Vancouver's fan base are very well warranted. We are as bad, if not even worse than our reputation. 

In Toronto, if the team is semi-competitive (playoffs or close) the fan base loves them. If they suck year after year the non-hardcore fans move attention to baseball or basketball. The hardcore fans get excited about change, albeit face constant disappointment. There are a lot who are jaded and rightfully fed-up, which you can expect given how awful they are. 

In Vancouver, if the team is semi-competitive the fans don't care because they "won't win the cup anyway and might as well rebuild". If they are very competitive the fans are angry if they don't win the cup. If they suck, well again people care even less. The fan base, while up and down, was more or less pretty good during the WCE era but terrible during the Luongo era. The WCE the fans were overly dramatic about the negatives but equally as excited about the positives. The Luongo era is defined by only people caring about the Stanley Cup, which is a but of an unrealistic expectation in a 30 team league. 

Don't forget that Leafs games are insanely expensive, double the price of Canucks tickets, even when the team sucks. I would never pay $100+ for upper bowl seats to see my team get blown out of the water. 

Leafs fans aren't nearly as bad as people in Vancouver take them for. The fans I have talked to generally cheered for Vancouver in the Stanley Cup Finals. Vancouver to Toronto is what Ottawa is to Vancouver (don't really care, but will cheer for them in a finals situation), and I don't have too much trouble talking about my team and at least having people semi-interested (especially at Marlies games, Leafs fans ask me a lot of questions about Vancouver's farm team, best prospects etc).

Neither would I. So either those Leafs fans are extremely gullible or plain stupid. If what you're being asked to pay for isn't very good, the price should drop accordingly.

If it remains and one pays the same price for crap, that individual then needs to get there head examined, possibly with a splitting maul.

Your generalizations on Vancouver fanship are, as J.R. pointed out, broad strokes. Many of fans of the Canucks are also fans of the sport, and have a healthy understanding of the game, which aids in being objective. And there are fairweather fans for every team, and in cities with larger population bases (Toronto, New York, LA, Chicago, Montreal), the portion of the fairweather fandom is also exponentially larger, but seems like less due to the rich history those teams have that goes back as far as the league itself.

Archived