The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article]Canucks Post Game: No slack for Etem, Granlund gets it, Hutton pleases, LaBate teases

Hairy Kneel

I think if Stecher hadn't surprised everyone and is getting second and third looks, this may be why Sbisa hasn't played yet. Sbisa is also already in game shape. They want to give Stecher and Larsen every opportunity to make the team. Looks like Stecher is making it very difficult for the coach and brass.

Etem and Burrows also seem to be challenged by Labate, Ruuttu and Skille. More tough decision to come.

I'm hoping for the start of the season:

Daniel - Henrik - Eriksson

Baertschi - Horvat - Rodin

Granlund - Sutter - Hansen

Labate - Gaunce - Virtanen

Dorsett

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Sbisa - Stecher

Tryamkin - Larsen 

14 minutes ago, mll said:

He played over 21min - tied with Granlund for most among all forwards.   They played as many minutes as Hutton. 

Oh - sorry thought it was less. Maybe it seemed like less ^_^ He'll be better on Thursday. 

20 minutes ago, gurn said:

Etem had a massive amount of offensive zone starts in last nights game. He and Larsen have been the biggest disappointments this pre-season, at least to me.

Neither have earned anything other than a free ride to the airport.  

5 minutes ago, smokes said:

I don't see Etem in a Canucks uniform for too long. He's been invisible for too long. The question is whether he gets waived or traded.

Invisible for too long? How quickly everyone seems to have forgotten that he ended the season on a 5 game 4 goal point streak...

I get he hasn't had the best camp but saying he's been invisible for too long is a joke.

26 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think if Stecher hadn't surprised everyone and is getting second and third looks, this may be why Sbisa hasn't played yet. Sbisa is also already in game shape. They want to give Stecher and Larsen every opportunity to make the team. Looks like Stecher is making it very difficult for the coach and brass.

Etem and Burrows also seem to be challenged by Labate, Ruuttu and Skille. More tough decision to come.

Dorsett

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Sbisa - Stecher

Tryamkin - Larsen 

I'm thinking that Burrows and Etem have already have been challenged and superseded by them, but Burrows seems to have "earned" a spot with Willie.

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'm thinking that Burrows and Etem have already have been challenged and superseded by them, but Burrows seems to have "earned" a spot with Willie.

I love Burrows and his time as a Canuck, but he hasn't shown he deserves a spot (yet). Good guy on the bench though. I just hope he's not gifted a spot because of his previous years of service. I want to see the Canucks win games this year and ice the best team possible. Not sure Burrows makes the Canucks better, than if Labate was in instead. Labate is young, big and hungry to play in the NHL. Burrows will be hoping for a PTO with another team next year. (eg. Higgins) Unfortunately, his time in the NHL is coming to an end.

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

I love Burrows and his time as a Canuck, but he hasn't shown he deserves a spot (yet). Good guy on the bench though. I just hope he's not gifted a spot because of his previous years of service. I want to see the Canucks win games this year and ice the best team possible. Not sure Burrows makes the Canucks better, than if Labate was in instead. Labate is young, big and hungry to play in the NHL. Burrows will be hoping for a PTO with another team next year. (eg. Higgins) Unfortunately, his time in the NHL is coming to an end.

I agree. Burrows has been a great Canuck. But so were Bieksa, Hamhuis, and frankly Kesler was too, until he requested a trade. 

Burrows hasn't played well enough to deserve a top 9 spot above other players.

Burrows' spot is assured for the remainder of his career (probably this year and maybe one more if he can sign for 4M or so with Vancouver) as he is a Canuck legend. Etem looks to be on the bubble right now and is in danger of losing his spot to Granlund... Virtanen needs to play this year in Utica with Green. He has the tools but his IQ needs a ton of work to ensure that his natural skill does not go to waste.

47 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Dorsett

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Sbisa - Stecher

Tryamkin - Larsen 

You know what....this is exactly what I wrote in my notebook at work yesterday.  I think this would

give us a good mix of energy and experience.  Well done sir...

3 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Burrows' spot is assured for the remainder of his career (probably this year and maybe one more if he can sign for 4M or so with Vancouver) as he is a Canuck legend. Etem looks to be on the bubble right now and is in danger of losing his spot to Granlund... Virtanen needs to play this year in Utica with Green. He has the tools but his IQ needs a ton of work to ensure that his natural skill does not go to waste.

So because Burrow's scored a clinch goal half a decade ago, he is gifted a spot now. That reasoning is flawed, as Hamhuis and Bieksa would and should have been assured spots to for their service to the team. They weren't, and neither should Burrows.

The post game comments were more interesting than the game.. WD is not usually so candid.

It looks like the current forward lineup in his mind is:

Sedin-Sedin-Erikson

Baertschi-Horvat-Rodin

Granlund-Sutter-Hansen

Burrows-Gaunce-Dorsett

Skille-Ruutu (only one of these guys at most will get a contract... and there are good arguments for both)

I think defence is where the decisions still have to be made and are completely up in the air for the 3rd pairing.

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson

Bottom pairing can be any combinations of Sbisa/Tryamkin/Larsen/Stecher/Pedan

My bet is the first game of the season gets us

Sbisa-Larsen

Tryamkin-Stecher (on the roster but not playing)

14 minutes ago, Tigs said:

@apollo @Monty @D-Money @thejazz97 @oldnews @Master Mind @Blue Jay 22 @Aladeen

I would like a reaction to this statement please. 

Right idea. Wrong term. "Traded" kind of implies that he would be moved to another team in the NHL, and something would be coming back.

The correct choice word here would be "loaned." As in, sent to the Swiss league in return for the Swiss GM's grandma's secret mac n cheese recipe.

If Stecher is on the roster, then he might as well play.  So far, I'd actually put him ahead of Larsen on the depth chart.  I always figured he'd play a year in Utica, but I think he's making that decision hard for WD; he's looked spectacular for a rookie.

3 minutes ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

Right idea. Wrong term. "Traded" kind of implies that he would be moved to another team in the NHL, and something would be coming back.

The correct choice word here would be "loaned." As in, sent to the Swiss league in return for the Swiss GM's grandma's secret mac n cheese recipe.

Ouch!

Archived