The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article]Canucks Post Game: No slack for Etem, Granlund gets it, Hutton pleases, LaBate teases

Hairy Kneel

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

So because Burrow's scored a clinch goal half a decade ago, he is gifted a spot now. That reasoning is flawed, as Hamhuis and Bieksa would and should have been assured spots to for their service to the team. They weren't, and neither should Burrows.

I completely agree with you and do not agree with Burrows being gifted a spot but it seems to be the way it is unfortunately :(

47 minutes ago, Tigs said:

@apollo @Monty @D-Money @thejazz97 @oldnews @Master Mind @Blue Jay 22 @Aladeen

I would like a reaction to this statement please. 

0hQyd5L.gif

Apollo would be crushed. His positive attitude is what balances out all the negativity. Without it, CDC would fall into chaos.

I don't think anyone is ready for that. Better keep Sbisa.

3 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Apollo would be crushed. His positive attitude is what balances out all the negativity. Without it, CDC would fall into chaos.

apollo made it after Luongo was traded. He can managed losing another Luuu, especially considering that Loui is here.

2 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

Supposed to be Thursday for Sbisa is what I believe I heard on 1040. I think that's when we'll get to see the Tryamkin-Sbisa pairing experiment, which could go either way. Tryamkin needs a mobile partner imo, and thats when Sbisa gets into trouble so it could be interesting. 

I'm by no means a Sbisa hater, but I do think if Benning can move him the time is right. Various parts of his good skill set are duplicated and I think if Tryamkins going to get the development time he needs Sbisa's the odd man out in the top 6. 

I think Sbisa getting the "veteran treatment" and not hitting the ice until the last few games speaks to how management sees him. Barring a trade, he's penciled into the top-6 D for opening night (in fact his spot in the lineup is probably written in ink).

Management sees him as a #4/5 and the anchor on the third pairing. I don't think he suddenly gets pushed into a #7/8 role, regardless of what we see from Stecher or Tryamkin.

I'd also suggest that Sbisa being one of our better penalty killers is probably enough on its own to earn him a spot (especially given how atrocious the PK has looked during preseason).

3 hours ago, apollo said:

It's kind of interesting how having a kid affects certain guys. You would think it would be extra motivation but then again he's probably sleeping less? These guys are pros, maybe the team should help out new father's and get them a nanny or something? 

When the Dragon Slayer had  a kid, it just amped up his game... Hansen on the other hand had a rough year when he had a kid. 

When kesler had a kid it also made him play better and take less penalties... 

It can really go either way eh =/ 

It's too bad. I really like Etem off the ice and he's got a solid skill set on the ice. Hope he can turn it around. 

Was Etem suffering from these "baby issues" last year or is this just who he is??

I only caught the 1st period, but I thought etem looked fine. He forced a turnover on the forecheck leading to an opportunity in close and on the PP found some space in the slot and got off good shot. Domingue did well to turn it aside.

I feel like he is the new whipping boy for the canucks.

3 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

I only caught the 1st period, but I thought etem looked fine. He forced a turnover on the forecheck leading to an opportunity in close and on the PP found some space in the slot and got off good shot. Domingue did well to turn it aside.

Fanbases do like their whipping boys,but in Etems case,there is just no hiding from his underachieving play...Its a results driven business (a $ 3/4 of a billion one at that)...

2 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

Supposed to be Thursday for Sbisa is what I believe I heard on 1040. I think that's when we'll get to see the Tryamkin-Sbisa pairing experiment, which could go either way. Tryamkin needs a mobile partner imo, and thats when Sbisa gets into trouble so it could be interesting. 

I'm by no means a Sbisa hater, but I do think if Benning can move him the time is right. Various parts of his good skill set are duplicated and I think if Tryamkins going to get the development time he needs Sbisa's the odd man out in the top 6. 

I went to the Europe - Sweden game, and expected the Chara - Sbisa pairing to get ripped to shreds. They were surprisingly solid. That said, Tryamkin isn't Chara. I think the amount of brain farts from those two would suck the oxygen out of Rogers Arena. 

15 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

Etem is a serviceable player, but with so many young guys fighting for jobs on what is somewhat of an empty canvas of a team, he isn't making his case very effectively.

Not a whipping boy, per se.

34 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think Sbisa getting the "veteran treatment" and not hitting the ice until the last few games speaks to how management sees him. Barring a trade, he's penciled into the top-6 D for opening night (in fact his spot in the lineup is probably written in ink).

Management sees him as a #4/5 and the anchor on the third pairing. I don't think he suddenly gets pushed into a #7/8 role, regardless of what we see from Stecher or Tryamkin.

I'd also suggest that Sbisa being one of our better penalty killers is probably enough on its own to earn him a spot (especially given how atrocious the PK has looked during preseason).

I agree, he definitely has value. But I'm not sure he's part of the future given the way the pairings are shaping up. 

30 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

He had good energy, but WD made a good point that there are other guys who can do that.  He needs to contribute offensively.  I really want Etem to succeed as well, but I think he needs to show more.  To be fair though, Baertschi hasn't had the greatest pre-season either

Hutton was drool worthy last night. The goal was just... wow. I keep reminding myself how good of a player he is turning into, but that was just stunning.

Etem was just kind of invisible.

Rodin, Stetcher, and Granlund continued to do a lot of good things.

2 hours ago, Tigs said:

Not exactly sure why I'm tagged here...but with how lacklustre Tryamkin, Pedan, and Juolevi were in camp, combined with the need to have a D to expose for expansion, I venture to say that Sbisa's job has never been safer.

As for Etem, he'll probably be on waivers shortly. Last night he played most of the evening with Horvat and Baertschi, and didn't have a single defensive zone start.  And yet, not only did he fail to create anything, he was a big minus in Corsi (think they said -10 on the post-game show, which is horrific).

1 hour ago, Tigs said:

0hQyd5L.gif

1 hour ago, Master Mind said:

I saw @PhillipBlunt's post in the morning and it made me furious lol... thought I'd let it slide and just take a deep breath but now that I've been called out I can't let it slide haha

The fact the Sbisa hasn't played a god damn game this year and is being trashed on these forums is a travesty. He's clearly the scapegoat for 2016-2017. 

This is the same pathetic fan base that wanted Bieksa out after a few freak injuries and then he came back and proved every wrong, same as Edler after the Torts year... and I'm sure we all know the prime example of this; the Luongo saga. A guy who was by far the most consistent goalie in the NHL for a decade, immediately made the Canucks a power house, had a phenomenal cap hit, took a huge discount to stay and win but we pushed him out. At the end of the day, these are pros that get paid way more than I do and have a fantastic job... so I shouldn't feel bad for them when fans have stupid opinions. The fans have a right to have opinions and to each their own... 

I'm a huge fan of Sbisa, his only mistake is being overpaid by Jimbo who has little no grasp of the salary cap by about 750-1.25 cap hit. Or maybe he had too good of an agent? On and off the ice he's solid. Super nice guy off the ice and hits like a freight train on the ice. 

At this point, I wouldn't mind if he got traded at proved everyone wrong. That being said, I much rather if he proves everyone wrong wearing the glorious Blue & Green colours and the city can once again echo the sounds of... 

LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

after crushing hits and magnificent plays are made by the Freight Train. 

Archived