The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Were you happy with the Canucks effort last Night? (Discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

Do you think the Canucks played like a playoff team last Night?   

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ehh, it was only the first game, so I wasn't expecting anything too amazing. I will admit that the own goal gave me a good laugh. The team looked a bit rusty, but I think they will get better after a few games because it does take some time to get used to playing again. One of the things I liked was how we played in overtime because it seemed like we had the puck most of the time which is good. It looks like we've improved in that department, so at least we have that going for us. Miller looked good, too. As long as we don't overwork him and give Marky more starts then the goalie situation should be fine.

Great to start the season with a W over CGY. Miller and the D played really well. Sedins and Eriksson didn't do much all game, except for that brilliant puck possession and goal late in the game by Daniel. I think the Canucks are still missing that young forward who can create chances every shift, drive the net, score goals. Horvat is the player to do that IMO but he's kind of hidden on that 4th line.  They really need Virtanen, Baertschi and Granlund to step up.

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Great to start the season with a W over CGY. Miller and the D played really well. Sedins and Eriksson didn't do much all game, except for that brilliant puck possession and goal late in the game by Daniel. I think the Canucks are still missing that young forward who can create chances every shift, drive the net, score goals. Horvat is the player to do that IMO but he's kind of hidden on that 4th line.  They really need Virtanen, Baertschi and Granlund to step up.

I sure agree with you about Bo.  

i think in time, willie and the coaches will find the best line combinations. bo is proving that he can be whatever they need him to be. i feel virt should go down to the ut for a month or so. granlund and rodin showed such good chemistry, i'ld like them tried together when the rod returns. still not sure if granny is better at center or wing but he is good at distributing the puck to linemates.  hopefully we will get some offense from our defense and other lines. i think we will.

Idk I feel like our puck possession was very good. Absolutely love the way the Sedin's play, a lot of skill and they're very smart. I feel like our Defense is looking very good, but our offence needs to be a lot better. On paper, the team looks pretty good and tbh I enjoyed watching the game last night. Excited for the game tonight against Carolina!

I'm not questioning the effort at all...My biggest concerns were lack of offence (how much are the Sedins regressing?),and is it going to be enough to keep the Canucks competitive this season.......Brock Boeser cannot be here soon enough.

Goaltending and D this year look solid ....which is a way better situation to be in ,than the reverse...... good forwards/bad D and Goaltending.

Expectations are very low for the Canucks this season,unlike the Flames who are pegged to break out this year (and are now finding holes in the makeup of their team)..Their fanbase got a good cup of STFU up after being beaten by the lowly Oilers and Canucks.

39 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i think in time, willie and the coaches will find the best line combinations. bo is proving that he can be whatever they need him to be. i feel virt should go down to the ut for a month or so. granlund and rodin showed such good chemistry, i'ld like them tried together when the rod returns. still not sure if granny is better at center or wing but he is good at distributing the puck to linemates.  hopefully we will get some offense from our defense and other lines. i think we will.

I agree on Jake.  He just doesn't look up to speed.  Late to the puck, not battling hard, not fast or physical.  He needs some seasoning in Utica. 

35 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

I'm not questioning the effort at all...My biggest concerns were lack of offence (how much are the Sedins regressing?),and is it going to be enough to keep the Canucks competitive this season.......Brock Boeser cannot be here soon enough.

Goaltending and D this year look solid ....which is a way better situation to be in ,than the reverse...... good forwards/bad D and Goaltending.

Expectations are very low for the Canucks this season,unlike the Flames who are pegged to break out this year (and are now finding holes in the makeup of their team)..Their fanbase got a good cup of STFU up after being beaten by the lowly Oilers and Canucks.

Agreed.  JB is building from the goalie out.  Goaltending is solid.  D is coming along very nicely.  Forwards are the weak link that has not yet been addressed and with the Sedins aging/declining, it is imperative that they start developing secondary scoring.  This is why the Bo assignment is so puzzling to so many. 

JB has his work cut out for him to replace the Sedins contributions.  Boeser looks like he could well be a top 6/3 scoring winger but they are definitely thin in NHL scoring talent.

The Flames goalie played really well... Virtanen was absolutely robbed on one of his chances.

But yea, it was a totally boring game.  If the team plays like thy did last year (boring, and not closing out games) then Big Willy has to go...no point keeping him here, having the team play boring hockey and not winning.

Part of me just wants the team to send all of the youth to Utica to dominate the AHL under Travis Green and completely clean house on the big club next year with a fresh start under Green with a cohesive young core.

2 hours ago, drummerboy said:

First game of the year.  New players.  

Lots of rust.    

Stop looking at the negative.   

The D played great.   Miller played great.  

Despite being held back by his linemates, Bo had a great game.  

Guddy looks like the real deal. 

Sbisa played a solid game.   

We won. 

Jesus man.  Who gives a pooh what the media says.   

First game of the year.  It's a long season. 

Relax and enjoy some hockey. 

Hmmmm a show of hockey smarts in here...  keep it coming...  maybe it'll catch on but then again....

The only thing that I'd like to see more of is shot quality. The Bo experiment did allow the *supposedly* more offensive current 2nd line to take the draws WD wanted and it did generate shots, but the shots were not what you'd put on anyone's highlight reel and I don't think the cowgary goalie faced many tough changes other than that great minute and a half of Sedinery. 

Archived