Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tryamkin denies request for conditioning stint (Utica)


VIC_CITY

Recommended Posts

Read this just now on The Province's website. It's an interesting decision, although he is within his rights to do so. You'd think he would still get his NHL salary on a conditioning stint? Although, he is signed to a 2 way deal, so maybe not?

 

A LOSE-LOSE SITUATION
With Derek Dorsett out due to a shoulder injury suffered Saturday, winger Jack Skille gets back into the lineup tonight and the transition should be seamless. But on defence, Alex Biega and Nikita Tryamkin will miss their sixth straight games as the top six Vancouver defencemen remain healthy and capable.
Biega is 28 years old and in his seventh season of professional hockey. It took him five years just to dip a toe in the NHL pool, so he understands patience and tradecraft and is equipped to handle sitting out.
Tryamkin, however, is only 22. And although he played four seasons in the Kontinental Hockey League, he is new to the NHL and still at the dawn of his development as a player. He is also 6-7 and 265 pounds. He needs to play. Not practise. Play. And until there’s an injury, that probably isn’t happening anytime soon.
The Canucks lured him to Vancouver last spring with an out-clause in his two-way contract that allows the defenceman to bolt home to the KHL if the team sends him to minors. Tryamkin is flexing that clause.
Canuck general manager Jim Benning has approached him about going to the Utica Comets and playing 20-plus minutes a night – even on just a conditioning assignment that comes with a return ticket to the NHL — but Tryamkin has refused. That’s not good for Tryamkin or the Canucks.
Given his mobility and size, and potential to obliterate opponents in front of his net, Tryamkin could be a star in the NHL, a guy who makes many millions. But he has to give himself a chance to become that player

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Stubborn people are one of my biggest pet peeves. Still going to get paid NHL salary, with the opportunity for top minutes and great development which will only INCREASE his chances to crack the top 6 when he comes back. 

 

:picard:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He should have had his butt in the gym in the summer. He's out of shape, didn't come to camp prepared to be an NHL player. 

 

He's going to get NHL salary if he goes down for a few games to get ready for the NHL regular season. 

 

His agent needs to explain the benefits of doing this to Tryamkin, but I have a feeling he's ready to go back to Russia. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Fan since 82 said:

Gotta wonder if he's just in it for the money (nothing against that really) or if he really feels like he's NHL ready. 

money has nothing to do with this. He would get same money on conditioning stint in AHL as he gets while playing in the NHL.

 

Seems more like, "play me or send me back to Russia"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, he did show he's capable of playing, and I would say he wouldn't be any worse than Larsen defensively, and a whole lot more physical. JB has to decide what he's going to do with this guy, he made the deal so its not like he should expect Tryamkin to go where he said from day 1 he didn't want to go. It might mean telling Willie to get him into games. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Holy jeez entitlement issues. Doesn't bode well for his future. Meh, it all seemed a little too far-fetched to begin with anyways.

 

If he wants to carry that attitude he better prove he can have a positive impact very fast once he draws into the lineup, any mistakes and it just makes him look a lot worse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He only came over from Russia because he was promised an nhl role. He wants no business with the ahl. He made that clear before he signed. 

 

No need to be shocked or say negative things about him. He's coming over from Russia and the culture shock in Van is already huge for him. Now, he would have to go to Utica? That would be a huge adjustment for him. 

 

Trade Sbisa and play Tryamkin or let him go back to Russia and see what happens maybe next year.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Stubborn people are one of my biggest pet peeves. Still going to get paid NHL salary, with the opportunity for top minutes and great development which will only INCREASE his chances to crack the top 6 when he comes back. 

 

:picard:

mine too. Especially when it's so freakin obvious that this is better for everyone involved. He goes down for a few games, I think it's 5 games max  or less than 2 weeks..... or something close to that. Gets is shape and gets to play 20 mins a game, earns the same NHL paycheck he does in here sitting in the press box and gets himself ready to be an NHL player. 

 

What the freak is wrong with that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Frankly, Tryamkin needs to earn a spot. I really don't like the notion that he should be given a free ride simply because of his stubbornness. I do think he should be given a chance in the regular season, but if he can't perform, then too bad for him. He needs to know that there are no spots given away for free in the NHL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jiggs50 said:

He only came over from Russia because he was promised an nhl role. He wants no business with the ahl. He made that clear before he signed. 

 

No need to be shocked or say negative things about him. He's coming over from Russia and the culture shock in Van is already huge for him. Now, he would have to go to Utica? That would be a huge adjustment for him. 

 

Trade Sbisa and play Tryamkin or let him go back to Russia and see what happens maybe next year.  

 

For sure. That was the deal, and last year we were all pretty happy about it! We know what Sbisa is, and now Larsen. Its early in the season, so why not play him for a couple of games? But we're talking about WD here, so honestly I can see Willie souring this kid on Vancouver and not playing him at all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

Frankly, Tryamkin needs to earn a spot. I really don't like the notion that he should be given a free ride simply because of his stubbornness. I do think he should be given a chance in the regular season, but if he can't perform, then too bad for him. He needs to know that there are no spots given away for free in the NHL.

 

Well a lot of people thought Stecher earned a spot over Larsen, but JB wanted to see what he traded for. Same thing with Tryamkin, we need to see what we have. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

 

Well a lot of people thought Stecher earned a spot over Larsen, but JB wanted to see what he traded for. Same thing with Tryamkin, we need to see what we have. 

I agree, which is why I'd like to see Tryamkin tried out for a few games. At that point, we can see if he offers anything more than he showed in the pre-season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

 

For sure. That was the deal, and last year we were all pretty happy about it! We know what Sbisa is, and now Larsen. Its early in the season, so why not play him for a couple of games? But we're talking about WD here, so honestly I can see Willie souring this kid on Vancouver and not playing him at all. 

Can't really blame WD on this one though. JB handed Sbisa nearly 4 million. Benching him would look bad. JB also gave up a 5th for Larsen so they wanna see what they have in him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • -SN- locked and unlocked this topic

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...