The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Report) NHL spoke to the Canucks about Gudbranson threatening Martin

PhillipBlunt

1 minute ago, Apricot said:

Keep on going Guddy. Don't let this stop you on December 3rd. If you get a fine, all us Canucks fans will gladly chip in. If you get suspended, it'll be worth it. I don't want to see anyone leaving on a stretcher. I don't want to see anyone injured, but I want to see revenge. 

How do you spell disappointment? You want the same revenge that was taken on Duncan Keith after his famous elbow?

19 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Kadri nearly concusses Daniel Sedin, and Matt Martin attacks Troy Stecher...........nothing.

Gudbranson makes an offhand comment regarding meting out some in game justice...........Colin Campbell slithers up and takes notice.

Dear NHL

Go back to kindergarten

Image result for sticks and stones may break my bones

Just now, coastal1 said:

How do you spell disappointment? You want the same revenge that was taken on Duncan Keith after his famous elbow?

You're a turn the other cheek type, aren't you? You'd prefer that the Canucks take abuse and not exact an equal revenge. That's been going on for years now, and it earned the Canucks the reputation for being pushovers.

Gudbranson probably should have kept it bottled up and vented out of the earshot of goofs like Abbot and Murphy, but he didn't. He wants to stand up for his teammates. And Pears makes a good point. Do you think that the league should have spoken to Lucic regarding wanting to kill Weise?

8 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

Gudbranson's comment, now that is bush league, i will admit that you are correct there.

Can virtually guarantee you threats/comments like Gud's happen on a nightly basis in the NHL, the AHL, and the CHL, heck even in REC hockey - Gud's only problem was an overzealous reporter publishing it where most experienced reporters who've been around the game for any length of time know this isn't news. 

Those idiots over in the DoPS at the NHL know they blew the decision and are now trying to contain their own idiotic decision to do nothing. 

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

Can virtually guarantee you threats/comments like Gud's happen on a nightly basis in the NHL, the AHL, and the CHL, heck even in REC hockey - Gud's only problem was an overzealous reporter publishing it where most experienced reporters who've been around the game for any length of time know this isn't news. 

Those idiots over in the DoPS at the NHL know they blew the decision and are now trying to contain their own idiotic decision to do nothing. 

Bingo. Pow. Correct x 1000.

20 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

You're a turn the other cheek type, aren't you? You'd prefer that the Canucks take abuse and not exact an equal revenge. That's been going on for years now, and it earned the Canucks the reputation for being pushovers.

Gudbranson probably should have kept it bottled up and vented out of the earshot of goofs like Abbot and Murphy, but he didn't. He wants to stand up for his teammates. And Pears makes a good point. Do you think that the league should have spoken to Lucic regarding wanting to kill Weise?

I'd like to see Coastal's answer to that question, too.

47 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Report: NHL spoke to Canucks about Gudbranson threatening Martin

by Sean O'Leary 19h ago
cropped_REU_2573012.jpg?ts=1478653739 

John E. Sokolowski / USA TODAY Sports
Erik Gudbranson's threat toward Matt Martin reportedly caught the attention of the NHL.

Following a chippy 6-3 loss to the Toronto Maple Leafs on Saturday, the Vancouver Canucks blue-liner said Martin's "f-----g dead."

NHL executive Colin Campbell reportedly spoke to Canucks general manager Jim Benning, saying Gudbranson better stay in line when the two clubs meet again Dec. 3 or he'll face "harsh repercussions," according to TSN's Darren Dreger.

Dreger reports the issue isn't on the league's front burner, but it takes a "threat of that magnitude" very seriously.

The Canucks and Leafs combined for 171 penalty minutes in the contest, including 10 for Gudbranson and 19 for Martin.

Kadri nearly concusses Daniel Sedin, and Matt Martin attacks Troy Stecher...........nothing.

Gudbranson makes an offhand comment regarding meting out some in game justice...........Colin Campbell slithers up and takes notice.

plussed ya for that one

Well... Kadri should have been suspended. 

The league probably wants the Leafs to make the playoffs this year, as they are a huge revenue maker. 

So yeah, crap right here. 

Gudbranson's threat is a totally different issue here. It was out of line obviously; and the league is within bounds to warn us.

Gudbranson, didnt have to announce it. Action speaks louder than words. I am still glad to have him on the team though. Usually our soft players just skates around and pretend nothing's happened after getting bullied on. 

37 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

We have bigger, meaner and angrier  players on our team now. All of them are pissed. For the loss, for the hit on Daniel, for no suspension on Kadri,  for Martin going after a rookie. I have a feeling something big will happen. 

3 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Well... Kadri should have been suspended. 

The league probably wants the Leafs to make the playoffs this year, as they are a huge revenue maker. 

So yeah, crap right here. 

Gudbranson's threat is a totally different issue here. It was out of line obviously; and the league is within bounds to warn us.

Gudbranson, didnt have to announce it. Action speaks louder than words. I am still glad to have him on the team though. Usually our soft players just skates around and pretend nothing's happened after getting bullied on. 

Advertising the "death threat" was probably not the best idea, but Gudbranson was pretty fired up and wasn't thinking straight. He probably didn't think that tools like Abbot and Murphy were going to Twitter fink on him. That being said, it would have been better for him to stew on it and then eradicate Martin and Kadri on December 3rd.

Why didn't Colin Campbell treat Lucic's direct threat to Weise with the same level of response? Because Greg and Milan were travel buddies? Or maybe because this league has a double standard at play?

Archived