The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] TSN - Canucks still kicking tires on Kane

Provost

7 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Yikes...too much salt in your diet bud.

First off, I never tried to come across as insulting

2nd, I suggested Kane coming here to have someone of a different look or dynamic to help this team get off of the Schneid. Having Sbisa and a mid pick is fine by most fans.

Ya, I'm not a stats guy...I don't follow them. The one I DO watch is the 20 goals he scored.  We got enough guys that generate assists....we need scorers. If he sucks so bad then why does he have highlights to begin with?

Not to mention he can drop the gloves, play a power game and bring an element to the forward group that we lack.

For the package listed above, who cares if he walks in 2 years?

I am not salty, but I am fresh off viewing a whipping by the rangers and our ex-coach AV..... Kane scored 35 points last year, give me a break, like I said Burrows can score that given top 6 minutes with top linemates like Kane did. Oh BTW I think Buffalo stuck him on the 4th line??? 

Like I said keep watching the youtube highlights because who do you think he will play with on our team? Maybe Bo can throw this guys track suit in the shower, because we do not need another Prima Donna like Jake V on our team. No leadership, no accountability, instead all I see is Dors droppin the gloves for our team. Otherwise this team is as sad sack as it gets. 

Kane belongs in Vegas where he can call his stack of cash and drink to his hearts content. 

If this bum comes to our team, consider this the final nail in the coffin of this ownership promising us "playoffs" for another 1st round exit. 

1 minute ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Yikes...too much salt in your diet bud.

First off, I never tried to come across as insulting

2nd, I suggested Kane coming here to have someone of a different look or dynamic to help this team get off of the Schneid. Having Sbisa and a mid pick is fine by most fans.

Ya, I'm not a stats guy...I don't follow them. The one I DO watch is the 20 goals he scored.  We got enough guys that generate assists....we need scorers. If he sucks so bad then why does he have highlights to begin with?

Not to mention he can drop the gloves, play a power game and bring an element to the forward group that we lack.

For the package listed above, who cares if he walks in 2 years?

IN all honesty.  he's broken the 20 goal plateau exactly twice.  the 30 point plateau exactly 5 times and 40 point shelf once.  Only played 70 games or more twice and shows more of the 50-65 game season due to injuries.

It isn't like he played with bad line mates either.  he's not a play generator, he's not an actual force on the ice.  he's a passenger.  He shoots the puck and that's it

For lack of a better example.  he's the hail mary basketball player type.  two feet out from the 3 point line and always trying for the triple but never completing.

Sbisa and a 2nd?  Ya I'd do that but I wouldn't be trading anyone else.  Like at all especially not a hutton tanev or virtanen for him.  Hell I'd even consider Bear Cheese or Granlund as well as he would just wash him out.

he has far more failure than he does success for all the hype he has on him.  And the single most damning fact is that this team does NOT; for all their vaunted charity work, help players with mental health issues and addiction problems.  If they did I'd not be as worried. He could come here and we know they'd work with him.  instead...

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

IN all honesty.  he's broken the 20 goal plateau exactly twice.  the 30 point plateau exactly 5 times and 40 point shelf once.  Only played 70 games or more twice and shows more of the 50-65 game season due to injuries.

It isn't like he played with bad line mates either.  he's not a play generator, he's not an actual force on the ice.  he's a passenger.  He shoots the puck and that's it

For lack of a better example.  he's the hail mary basketball player type.  two feet out from the 3 point line and always trying for the triple but never completing.

Sbisa and a 2nd?  Ya I'd do that but I wouldn't be trading anyone else.  Like at all especially not a hutton tanev or virtanen for him.  Hell I'd even consider Bear Cheese or Granlund as well as he would just wash him out.

he has far more failure than he does success for all the hype he has on him.  And the single most damning fact is that this team does NOT; for all their vaunted charity work, help players with mental health issues and addiction problems.  If they did I'd not be as worried. He could come here and we know they'd work with him.  instead...

Yes, thank you Mr. Warhippy, kind of what I wished to say, although you do add extra sodium in your arguments :P

11 minutes ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

Yes, thank you Mr. Warhippy, kind of what I wished to say, although you do add extra sodium in your arguments :P

I'd take Kane for Sbisa/Bear Cheese/Granlund and maybe a 2nd +

But nobody else.  Literally nobody else on the roster.  An oft injured 36.2 point per season average $5+ million winger?  I think we just got rid of one of those 2 seasons ago

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

But nobody else.  Literally nobody else on the roster.  An oft injured 36.2 point per season average $5+ million winger?  I think we just got rid of one of those 2 seasons ago

Exactly, some of these posters overrate Kane like they overrate the current players on our roster. 

35 points is 3rd.4th line territory, which we have enough of already.

Excellent post and your prognostications appear to be ringing true. 

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Money wise it would have to be sbisa over those 2

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I could see sabres brass eating salary if the return was right for them.  We know Benning likes too add on

Even then kane has a 5.25 cap hit. max retention is half so 2.63mil 

Granlund is a paltry 900k

Baer is 1.85 mil

We only have 440k in cap space by my calculations.

39 minutes ago, orcasgonewild said:

Agreed. Plus stecher can play with edler then and tanev with Hutton thats a good idea.

absolutely. I bet that playing with Tanev will stabilize Hutton's play and i prefer saving Hutton by losing Gudbranson than losing Tanev and let Hutton pursue his bad plays.

add to that that i'm not sold of what Guddy brings to the table. The 2nd CBJ is here to force BUF to bite.  

46 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

The only "they're" is Bob McKenzie completely speculating because Tanev is an overpayment.

41 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Tanev is a MASSIVE over payment IMO.

I'd do Sbisa and Baer (IMO Granlund is taking his spot) but I'd want like a 3rd coming back. 

13 hours ago, SilentSam said:

.. interesting to see that on the CDC app I have for the Nuck's,

Tanev is not on the game roster,

not on the scratched list,

and not asterisk'D as being Injured Reserve on the Team Roster.

im sure it's an oversight,. But sometimes things make you go.. hmmmmm.

An oversight in the app (and probably on the website as well). Happens frequently enough that I'd never trust it, but CapFriendly has Tanev on IR (along with Hansen, Rodin and Megna, who's still with the team).

13 hours ago, missioncanucksfan said:

I can't help but think that Buffalo is the side that's in the bigger pinch than us or anyone else and not dealing from a position of strength. I'm curious if Van is the only team willing to take on Kane and his contract while coughing up whatever assets to get him.  Ya, I'm sure that there are teams watching from afar or kicking tires but many aren't offering what Buffalo paid to get him. Surely they take cap back along with a 2nd or 3rd. 

If Tanev is Vancouver's chip then I personally like to see a decent prospect added and Buffalo is deep in quite a few positions to make that happen.

D prospects such as 

Guhrle from PA Raiders

Fitzgerald out of Boston College 

Will Borgen from St. Cloud

are guys that come to mind

Forward prospects such as 

JT Compier 

Baptista

Cliff Pu

Hudson Faching

are guys that could also really help

Murphy and Valk say Buf needs D so Tanev soars to the top of their wish list

Tanev to Buf for Kane and 1 or 2 of the above prospects I listed above seems like a good deal

But again, Tanev isn't Vancouver's chip. Just because they need someone who plays defence, doesn't mean that play has to be mostly defensive. We aren't motivated to move him without a strong return, and a project like Kane won't be the main piece in a deal like that.

They do have prospects they could include, but they'd have to really like the player they're getting back to include Guhle or Fasching. Compher was moved to Colorado over a year ago, and the other players you list aren't attractive enough to be really enticing for another team. The Sabres could include one of the others to convince a team to help them a little more with cap so they don't take as much back, but I don't think they find a big return for Kane.

And if Buffalo does move for a defenceman, they have the expansion draft requirements to consider. If they bring another defenceman in, they'll have to leave someone unprotected they'd otherwise want to keep. Bogosian's NMC includes him in the mix, and they definitely want to protect Ristolainen. Add someone else and they'd likely have to shop Kulikov at the deadline to keep their numbers correct (or just let him go in the offseason, but I'm sure they'd like to sign him). I don't think they could move Gorges, but even if they could that'd be another left side defenceman they'd lose and leave them that much shorter on that side. They definitely aren't going to get rid of Bogosian's contract (or Franson's, he'll walk as a UFA), so they'd probably look for left side help first to mitigate any player they'd move or lose in the expansion draft.

I just don't see a fit with us offering a return they'd want. I don't think Sbisa for Kane (with cap equalization) does it, which is what I'd be willing to offer even if it leaves us with our own problems around the expansion draft. Burrows and one of Subban/Pedan for Kane doesn't happen I don't think, same with swapping Dorsett in (again with cap equalization to help us).

I don't see anything other than us checking the price on Kane and still finding it's not the bargain price we'd be willing to pay.

I would do a Sbisa and Virtanen for Kane deal.  That is pretty close I think for something that could be palatable from our end and something Buffalo could sell to their fans... they get something now and for the future.

Hold the Tanev trade card for later and someone who is a legit top line player... he is the only trade chip we have valuable enough to get a chance of getting a replacement for Henrik.  A Tanev + Hansen package could get you an elite level prospect from a team who wants to win now.

51 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I agree, we have way too many players who can't create offence. 

2 minutes ago, coryberg said:

:picard:

What an insightful rebuttal.

I can stand by the many instances where I was right and way closer to understanding the value our players/prospects than most people on here.

A slightly overpaid D who is somewhere between a 2nd and 3rd pairing guy plus a prospect who is currently trending towards a 3rd line player.... in exchange you get a guy with issues who is probably a 2nd line guy.

Seems about right.

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

What an insightful rebuttal.

I can stand by the many instances where I was right and way closer to understanding the value our players/prospects than most people on here.

A slightly overpaid D who is somewhere between a 2nd and 3rd pairing guy plus a prospect who is currently trending towards a 3rd line player.... in exchange you get a guy with issues who is probably a 2nd line guy.

Seems about right.

he's broken the 20 goal plateau exactly twice.  the 30 point plateau exactly 5 times and 40 point shelf once.  Only played 70 games or more twice and shows more of the 50-65 game season due to injuries.

So...he's a younger david booth

I wouldn't give up Virtanen for him.  Like at all.  i'd be hesitant to offer even a 2nd with sbisa.  

Archived