The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] TSN - Canucks still kicking tires on Kane

Provost

3 hours ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

Yes, thank you Mr. Warhippy, kind of what I wished to say, although you do add extra sodium in your arguments :P

Well that's what I said too.... IF 20 of those 35 points are goals then I'm ok and I'm sure most folks are too.

Buffalo on a whole isn't clicking and it's not just Kane....WPG during his time there was the same.

I'm not trying to blow sunshine up Kane's arse but I too watched that same game and noticed ALOT of floaters such as our $6mil free agent signing and Swiss Baercheese barely muster much effort to do the same as what you are ranting about Kane. Guys not hustling on rebounds, not wanting to get their noses dirty, too slow, lose puck battles....

I'm all for Kane for a Sbisa/Baercheese package just to try something different.

Heck, it's sad to simply keep blaming the coach because somebody else built this team and gave the coach lemons to work with.

Still cannot understand for the life of me why people want him on the Canucks so much.

Seriously, take the fact that he's from Vancouver out of the equation, because that matters not one iota.

Positives:

He plays a reliable 200 foot game.

That is all.

Negatives (where do I start?):

He's 25. Meaning, he's literally IN his prime now. So, his offensive game isn't "coming around". It is what you see. So:

- Perimeter player.

- Does NOT go hard to the net

- NHL equivalent of an NBA "Chuck and Duck" player. Translation: Shoots constantly from far away with no traffic in front of the net. Easy, easy saves by the goaltender.

- Does not make teammates better. Translation: Not a setup man or a passer in any way, shape, or form. He waits for the pass and then, as said earlier, shoots from as far away as possible.

Worst of all, he's a terrible teammate. This wasn't just a fact in Winnipeg, but he immediately followed that up in Buffalo. Going to the NBA All-Star game in Toronto and missing practice the next morning because of it is unacceptable.

Even IF he was getting paid $4M less, he still wouldn't be worth this headache. However, the fact is that he's getting paid $5M+ and the headache he brings is not worth it; especially to a team in as much disarray as the Canucks.

Seriously, he would solve absolutely none of their current problems. The Canucks can't score. So what, bringing in a guy who, at best, is going to pot you 25 goals but can't dish the puck to the rest of his line is helpful in what way? All the while, being an absolute terrible teammate and a distraction far beyond the rink alone.

This fan base craps on Luca Sbisa and Alex Burrows for being good teammates but not performing on the ice. Imagine getting Kane who certainly won't live up to his $5.25M contract, all while being an absolute joke to the franchise off the ice?

32 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Yup, he's got a great chance of accomplishing that here.

Better the devil you know than the one you don't. Why would he want to uproot himself from a beautiful city like Vancouver to go to a team just as bad in a city like Buffalo. It's not particularly known for being a city people enjoy.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Kane has another year after this.

I don't think you have gauged the fanbase properly.  Look at attendance numbers.  Last year we had a ton of young guys on the roster being "developed"... the building was empty and you couldn't give away tickets.  If you want a rebuild, buy tickets and merchandise regardless of how the team is doing.

This is not a fanbase that will tolerate a 5 year rebuilding process.  They lose their collective minds when we lose a couple of games in a row.

The only people saying they want a rebuild are the ones who believe in some magical rainbow unicorn world where you just have to be bad for a year or two and then win the Cup right after that.  No amount of fact showing that sucky teams getting lottery picks have tended to stay sucky teams getting more lottery picks for years on end will change their minds.

Your right about the fickle fanbase in this city and the probability of it not being able to handle a long term rebuild very well (ie ticket sales) however that's really ownerships issue. Fact of the matter is the Canucks are going nowhere quick and like I said the future looks gloomy with no offensive prospects outside of Boeser. Management and ownership clearly don't want to rebuild the normal way and want a quick fix however unless the Canucks hit a home run with some of these little known prospects in the system to fill the massive scoring void they are screwed. By continuously acquiring underachieving players via trade hoping to maximize their apparent potential and sacrificing picks to do so is taking two steps forwards and one step back especially with an inept coach.

But that's the things...."what if" he puts it together here? 

The guy is a proven scorer. Ya he only reached 20 twice but had he played 10 more games in each season he wouldve nailed it every year. 

That being said, the biggest thing I would hate to see is simply him injured all of the time.

Historically Vancouver has had its share of bad boys but to the fan, we don't seem to care as long as he is scoring. Heck, Bure lived at The Roxy and held out on his teammates only to let them drop for a whole year. If Bure would've said "Dah...I am veddy veddy soddy" and simply decided to come back, he wouldve been forgiven. 

I'm still willing to take on Kane as long as it doesn't end up costing too much

37 minutes ago, Monty said:

Still cannot understand for the life of me why people want him on the Canucks so much.

Seriously, take the fact that he's from Vancouver out of the equation, because that matters not one iota.

Positives:

He plays a reliable 200 foot game.

That is all.

Negatives (where do I start?):

He's 25. Meaning, he's literally IN his prime now. So, his offensive game isn't "coming around". It is what you see. So:

- Perimeter player.

- Does NOT go hard to the net

- NHL equivalent of an NBA "Chuck and Duck" player. Translation: Shoots constantly from far away with no traffic in front of the net. Easy, easy saves by the goaltender.

- Does not make teammates better. Translation: Not a setup man or a passer in any way, shape, or form. He waits for the pass and then, as said earlier, shoots from as far away as possible.

Worst of all, he's a terrible teammate. This wasn't just a fact in Winnipeg, but he immediately followed that up in Buffalo. Going to the NBA All-Star game in Toronto and missing practice the next morning because of it is unacceptable.

Even IF he was getting paid $4M less, he still wouldn't be worth this headache. However, the fact is that he's getting paid $5M+ and the headache he brings is not worth it; especially to a team in as much disarray as the Canucks.

Seriously, he would solve absolutely none of their current problems. The Canucks can't score. So what, bringing in a guy who, at best, is going to pot you 25 goals but can't dish the puck to the rest of his line is helpful in what way? All the while, being an absolute terrible teammate and a distraction far beyond the rink alone.

This fan base craps on Luca Sbisa and Alex Burrows for being good teammates but not performing on the ice. Imagine getting Kane who certainly won't live up to his $5.25M contract, all while being an absolute joke to the franchise off the ice?

I'd prefer that you use actual bullets next time, rather than dashes, Monty.

It's all about being aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

1 minute ago, missioncanucksfan said:

That being said, the biggest thing I would hate to see is simply him injured all of the time.

Historically Vancouver has had its share of bad boys but to the fan, we don't seem to care as long as he is scoring.

I'm still willing to take on Kane as long as it doesn't end up costing too much

His salary alone ($5.25M) is not worth what he "brings". Which is, "Headaches. Lots of headaches."

The guy is a proven scorer.

Lie.

Archived