The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] TSN - Canucks still kicking tires on Kane

Provost

44 minutes ago, Provost said:

What an insightful rebuttal.

I can stand by the many instances where I was right and way closer to understanding the value our players/prospects than most people on here.

A slightly overpaid D who is somewhere between a 2nd and 3rd pairing guy plus a prospect who is currently trending towards a 3rd line player.... in exchange you get a guy with issues who is probably a 2nd line guy.

Seems about right.

Pretty sure my response was more thought out than your original post.

Virtanen and Kane are both bottom 6 players at this point. Difference is virtanen is 6 years younger, has much more room for improvement, not a complete train wreck, makes 6 times less and will be under club control for 5 more years. 

As history has shown injury prone players with big contracts (booth) and players with personal problems (kassian) go for little to no value. Kane is a combination of both.

1 minute ago, ice orca said:

Secretion and Price were tossing it around on 1040 today.

I was just listening to that, I'm not opposed to trading Hutton in general cause he's a 4,5 guy but that would make fans erupt in frustration if they deal a 2nd year pro for a often injured 25 yr old risk 

McKenzie thinks that the Sabres would be looking for a D in return.  Here's the transcript on the Vancouver trade chips:
http://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/fleshing-mckenzies-report-canucks-interest-evander-kane/

Doesn't believe that the Sabres would have interest in Sbisa or Edler.  Tanev won't be moved according to him.  

A short while later in the discussion, McKenzie went over the potential defensive trade targets from the Canucks.

“Nobody is going to want Edler because of age,” surmised McKenzie. “For sure anybody that’s going to do a deal with Vancouver is going to say, ‘Yeah, give us Chris Tanev.’ They’re not trading Tanev. He’s too important. He’s a top-pairing guy for them.

“So then the question becomes – now you get to your second pair. What about Ben Hutton. He’s an intriguing guy. He’s a very underrated guy. He’s a big body. He’s got some offensive ability. That would be the guy I would think most teams would say, ‘Okay, if we’re going to give up a potential 20-goal scorer, then we want a potential Top-4, Top-5 defenseman in Hutton.’

“So I don’t know whether Vancouver has any interest whatsoever in going down that road. They’d probably say, ‘You can have Luca Sbisa is you want.’ But nobody is going to want a third-pair guy that in their mind makes too much money for too long.”

“So that’s where trading becomes so difficult if you’re Vancouver, unless you’re willing to create a hole,” continued McKenzie. “And then I don’t even know if anybody has interest or if Vancouver would even want to go down that road. But they’ve got the young kids. Stecher is the guy that everybody in Vancouver loves right now. Signed as a free agent. He’s done a great job in times that he’s played, but he’s been up and down between there and the minors.

“And then you’ve got the big Russian kid, Tryamkin. The big 6-foot-7 guy.

“So we’ll see. We’ll see where it goes. As I say, trades are not easy to do. But they’re certainly looking, I think, in Vancouver.”

Btw LeBrun today says he does not believe that the Sabres are trying to move Kane - more that they are willing to listen if there is a hockey trade to be made.

11 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Pretty sure my response was more thought out than your original post.

Virtanen and Kane are both bottom 6 players at this point. Difference is virtanen is 6 years younger, has much more room for improvement, not a complete train wreck, makes 6 times less and will be under club control for 5 more years. 

As history has shown injury prone players with big contracts (booth) and players with personal problems (kassian) go for little to no value. Kane is a combination of both.

If you think that Buffalo can't get at least Virtanen+Sbisa for Kane... there is literally no way to bring you to reality.

That is even way on the low end and a deep discount for a player with Kane's skills.

NBC is picking it up now, this has legs. 

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/11/16/about-those-evander-kane-trade-rumors/

Evander Kane‘s name is in the air again, with TSN’s Bob McKenzie reporting that the Vancouver Canucks have been back sniffing around the Buffalo Sabres winger.

This is far from the first time the Canucks have been linked to Kane, but with Vancouver having all sorts of trouble scoring, it makes sense that the rumors have come to life again. Kane, 25, is a Vancouver native, and the Canucks have not exactly shot down the speculation that they’re interested, even after Kane got into trouble in June.

According to McKenzie, if the Sabres are going to trade Kane, they’d like to bolster their back end in the process. And that, interestingly enough, is an area where the Canucks have built up some depth. In fact, there was such a logjam in Vancouver at the beginning of the season that impressive rookie Troy Stecher was forced to start in the AHL, while fifth overall draft pick Olli Juolevi only played two preseason games before he was returned to junior.

So, would the Canucks trade Luca Sbisa for Kane? Yep, they would. But Sabres GM Tim Murray, after a millisecond of consideration, would probably say thanks but no thanks.

Would the Sabres take 23-year-old Ben Hutton for Kane? That’s a far better offer than Sbisa. Which is why Canucks GM Jim Benning would get pilloried by a large segment of his fan base if he made it.

The challenge, really, is how to value Kane. Because it’s not just his off-ice issues, which are certainly a factor. He’s also been injury-prone. And on top of everything else, he can become an unrestricted free agent in July of 2018.

How has Kane’s current season gone?

In two words: not great. He missed the first 11 games with an injury. In the five games he’s played, he’s yet to register a point, with just eight shots total.

On Saturday, following a 4-2 loss to New Jersey, Sabres coach Dan Bylsma said he needed “more” from Kane, who finished minus-3 with just one shot.

Three days later, Kane finished minus-2 and didn’t even register a shot, and the Sabres lost 4-1 in St. Louis.

Evander Kane sucks. God forbid the Canucks unload another 2nd round pick and a solid 4 5 guy in Hutton for a career underperformer with a bad attitude and a wrap sheet of past injuries. If management thinks he's gonna come here and put 25 goals as a top pairing winger they need to give their heads a shake. Stay the course and rebuild the proper way. 

15 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Technically NBC is just parroting the original report. They do that a lot with their sports news sites where they just repackage the info for their readers. It's even Jason Brough, one of the former Kurtenbloggers, writing the piece.

13 minutes ago, Provost said:

If you think that Buffalo can't get at least Virtanen+Sbisa for Kane... there is literally no way to bring you to reality.

That is even way on the low end and a deep discount for a player with Kane's skills.

Lol you obviously think this is the year 2012 and a 20 year old kane without baggage.

Since then he has been charged with 5 counts of assault, tweeted homophobic slurs, been disowned by teammates, benched by mutliple coaches, was kicked off his KHL team, showed up late or just plain missed countless practices, elected early shoulder surgury (many feel it was to get away from teamates), and posted cocky pictures of himself with stacks of money multiple times.

Deep discount

7 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Evander Kane sucks. God forbid the Canucks unload another 2nd round pick and a solid 4 5 guy in Hutton for a career underperformer with a bad attitude and a wrap sheet of past injuries. If management thinks he's gonna come here and put 25 goals as a top pairing winger they need to give their heads a shake. Stay the course and rebuild the proper way. 

What course are you referring to?  One you imagined despite the Canucks management telling you otherwise about 500 times?

Trading for Kane would be staying the course for the plan the Canucks have outlined over and over again.  He helps them be competitive while they re-tool.  They don't get significantly older as Hutton is only about a year and a half younger than Kane.  You more than make up for that in the competitive side because there is a bigger advantage by upgrading Kane for Baertschi than there is drop off with Tryamkin/Sbisa and soon to be Juolevi filling the hole created by moving Hutton.

The only reason I am not a huge fan of moving Hutton is that he is a player who doesn't need to get exposed to expansion which adds to his value (albeit only incrementally).  Kane on the other hand needs to be protected and may cost you another asset.  To me that means Buffalo is the one that has to kick in the sweetener on a Hutton'Kane deal and not us.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

I would do a Sbisa and Virtanen for Kane deal.  That is pretty close I think for something that could be palatable from our end and something Buffalo could sell to their fans... they get something now and for the future.

Hold the Tanev trade card for later and someone who is a legit top line player... he is the only trade chip we have valuable enough to get a chance of getting a replacement for Henrik.  A Tanev + Hansen package could get you an elite level prospect from a team who wants to win now.

agree with that assessment. sbisa has looked pretty sharp lately but i'd be ok with that.  Or we could flip hutton.  I'm not married to the idea of hutton. hes got a great attitude and plays well at times. But I would be open to moving him now we got Stecher on the right side and Juolevi in the jr.  (Plus tryamkin is looking very solid!)

wow if Hutton goes then there is something wrong with the way management is going.

Kane plays 60% of games as he gets hurt tons, benning needs to use all the things or reasons why he should be cheaper in a trade then he is

Me would be a granlund or Baer , Grenier and a 4th for Kane no more then that or we get ripped off badly

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

What course are you referring to?  One you imagined despite the Canucks management telling you otherwise about 500 times?

Trading for Kane would be staying the course for the plan the Canucks have outlined over and over again.  He helps them be competitive while they re-tool.  They don't get significantly older as Hutton is only about a year and a half younger than Kane.  You more than make up for that in the competitive side because there is a bigger advantage by upgrading Kane for Baertschi than there is drop off with Tryamkin/Sbisa and soon to be Juolevi filling the hole created by moving Hutton.

The only reason I am not a huge fan of moving Hutton is that he is a player who doesn't need to get exposed to expansion which adds to his value (albeit only incrementally).  Kane on the other hand needs to be protected and may cost you another asset.  To me that means Buffalo is the one that has to kick in the sweetener on a Hutton'Kane deal and not us.

Okay let me rephrase myself. Stay the course we as fans want. The retool on the fly crap won't work as it's evident the Canucks are getting worse and worse with each year since this management group took over and the future doesn't even look that bright. Kane is in a contract year and knowing Benning he will not only overpay to acquire him he will probably sign him to a long term deal for too much money. Just being competitive is not good enough for this fanbase anymore. 

8 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Okay let me rephrase myself. Stay the course we as fans want. The retool on the fly crap won't work as it's evident the Canucks are getting worse and worse with each year since this management group took over and the future doesn't even look that bright. Kane is in a contract year and knowing Benning he will not only overpay to acquire him he will probably sign him to a long term deal for too much money. Just being competitive is not good enough for this fanbase anymore. 

Kane has another year after this.

I don't think you have gauged the fanbase properly.  Look at attendance numbers.  Last year we had a ton of young guys on the roster being "developed"... the building was empty and you couldn't give away tickets.  If you want a rebuild, buy tickets and merchandise regardless of how the team is doing.

This is not a fanbase that will tolerate a 5 year rebuilding process.  They lose their collective minds when we lose a couple of games in a row.

The only people saying they want a rebuild are the ones who believe in some magical rainbow unicorn world where you just have to be bad for a year or two and then win the Cup right after that.  No amount of fact showing that sucky teams getting lottery picks have tended to stay sucky teams getting more lottery picks for years on end will change their minds.

Archived