The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Duchene and Landeskog could be hitting the market

billabong

39 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

I just hope that Benning doesn't go full Milbury and trade all of the young developing players for journeymen NHL'ers.

I'm not saying Duchene and Landeskog are journeymen, both are great players but I would rather hold the course than give up youth to try to make the playoffs. The only trade this team should be making is veterans for picks/prospects if the opportunity arises.

We are talking about trading Tanev for one of those two, nothing more.  Personally, Alf is off wanting these two.  They are perennial losers, much like the old Oilers guys.  We should be trading for picks.

35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We are talking about trading Tanev for one of those two, nothing more.  Personally, Alf is off wanting these two.  They are perennial losers, much like the old Oilers guys.  We should be trading for picks.

I'm totally open for picKS. it's nice drafting and having a guy fully invested in the city from day 1.  it makes them ours alone.   my concern with Duchene more then Landy would be how would he translate. he's talented but id hate to see us trade for a guy then him struggle in a new market and be underwhelming. no sure why I singlEd out Duchene he does well when representing Canada

I don't think the AVS would have any interest in Tanev, Edler, Hansen. Maybe Sutter but the only guys I really see them having an interest in from the Canucks would be our 1st, Bo, Virtanen, Boeser, Baer, Juolevi, Hutton, Stetcher, Tryamkin. Their rebuilding and looking for pieces to add to that not add pieces to help them just miss the playoffs.   

So unless their willing to do Virtanen for Landeskog or Juolevi for MacKinnon then I don't think there is a deal to be made as I'm sure they would be asking us to add to those deals. I'd rather keep the guys we have and see how they turn out.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

so we could draft our own perennial losers? lmao. 

this team is on the decline. Danny and Hank having decent years this year, I'm not convinced they can keep up even this pace this year, next year. Maybe even more of a decline next season. 

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

so we could draft our own perennial losers? lmao. 

this team is on the decline. Danny and Hank having decent years this year, I'm not convinced they can keep up even this pace this year, next year. Maybe even more of a decline next season. 

How did we get Danny and Hank?  Yes, we drafted them:)

I trust Benning will be calling and negotiating for these guys. If he can make a deal that betters our team he will do it. If the price is too high he won't. 

Of course landeskog and duchene are great players and I want them but I want Horvat and our future first round picks more.

8 hours ago, Hugor Hill said:

Might be hard to imagine, but we need the combo of Edler, Baertschi and Granlund more than we need Landeskog right now.

If it is Duchene, I might think about it.

ask yourself if beaertschi and granlund are top six players on a good team?

They aren't thats why we move them, quality not quantity

I would give our 1st round pick this year straight up for Duchene. This year is a weak draft, Colorado wants picks/prospects, and Duchene will be better than whoever we pick between 3rd and 10th overall depending on where we land. I would do that in a heartbeat. I would also consider throwing in Sbisa if that wasn't enough. 

13 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

ask yourself if beaertschi and granlund are top six players on a good team?

They aren't thats why we move them, quality not quantity

Your concern about top 6 might apply to Baer but I don't see Granlund ever being rated as a top 6.

Hold up a second, in the other thread its "Sign Tavares" and last month it was "Trade for Landeskog" and now Duchene is on the table, and we are like "No Deal" because we don't know how he will "Translate"?

Do we not like having talent on this team?  We draft hard hitting grinders (who end up not hitting) not scorers with the new regime.  We are trading our young scorers for 2 way forwards and defensemen, and then we declare that we need a 2nd line scoring winger?  Our actions are saying one thing, and our words are saying another.  No wonder the fans are confused, because management seems to be as well.

IF Duchene made his way here, it would probably translate into a quiet first year, and then a progressing second and third year as he found his stride and grew chemistry with his linemates.  What would it mean with Landeskog?  The same thing, with a few less goals yearly.. What it would also mean is a legitimate top line Center has been found, who would remain there for 7-10 years if we wanted. 

We are all losing our minds about the PP, can't figure out why it can't score.. I'll tell you why, because our #1 PP has been using the same recipe for years, and its easy to figure out.  There is no sniper to pot them in, just some guys to grind in front of the net hoping to bury it.  Last night, I saw the #2 PP look far more dangerous, why??  Because they shot the puck, not pass it around the perimeter for a solid minute. 

This team has looked better in one area this year, and that's getting pucks through from the blue line (THANK YOU STETCHER), and watching Tryamkin, its looking like hes getting hungrier to shoot the puck as well. 

Now all of this being said, I will real it back and say that I love the Sedins, they will retire as 2 of the best Canucks to ever have laced them up, but I think what we are asking of them at this point of their careers is bad for them, and bad for the team.  This situation isn't being handled properly and management needs to make a move.  NOT fire Willie, but give up an asset or two (which is uncomfortable) and MAKE the trade this team needs.

5 minutes ago, Type R said:

Hold up a second, in the other thread its "Sign Tavares" and last month it was "Trade for Landeskog" and now Duchene is on the table, and we are like "No Deal" because we don't know how he will "Translate"?

Do we not like having talent on this team?  We draft hard hitting grinders (who end up not hitting) not scorers with the new regime.  We are trading our young scorers for 2 way forwards and defensemen, and then we declare that we need a 2nd line scoring winger?  Our actions are saying one thing, and our words are saying another.  No wonder the fans are confused, because management seems to be as well.

IF Duchene made his way here, it would probably translate into a quiet first year, and then a progressing second and third year as he found his stride and grew chemistry with his linemates.  What would it mean with Landeskog?  The same thing, with a few less goals yearly.. What it would also mean is a legitimate top line Center has been found, who would remain there for 7-10 years if we wanted. 

We are all losing our minds about the PP, can't figure out why it can't score.. I'll tell you why, because our #1 PP has been using the same recipe for years, and its easy to figure out.  There is no sniper to pot them in, just some guys to grind in front of the net hoping to bury it.  Last night, I saw the #2 PP look far more dangerous, why??  Because they shot the puck, not pass it around the perimeter for a solid minute. 

This team has looked better in one area this year, and that's getting pucks through from the blue line (THANK YOU STETCHER), and watching Tryamkin, its looking like hes getting hungrier to shoot the puck as well. 

Now all of this being said, I will real it back and say that I love the Sedins, they will retire as 2 of the best Canucks to ever have laced them up, but I think what we are asking of them at this point of their careers is bad for them, and bad for the team.  This situation isn't being handled properly and management needs to make a move.  NOT fire Willie, but give up an asset or two (which is uncomfortable) and MAKE the trade this team needs.

Wow!  Excellent post.  Tanev for Duchene is ideal, and would help both teams.  I just don't see JB giving up one of the best shut down D in the league, even though it's our best move for the future.

23 hours ago, Alflives said:

How did we get Danny and Hank?  Yes, we drafted them:)

The actual series of events doesn't fit with your narrow vision of how things should be done. It cost us a good d-man and multiple draft picks.

"So how did Burke pull off the maneuver to draft both Sedins?  The main piece of the puzzle was trading Bryan McCabe, the strong defenseman acquired in the Trevor Linden trade, to the Chicago Blackhawks.  McCabe and a future first rounder landed Vancouver the Blackhawks first round pick, which was number four in the draft.  Now Burke had two top five choices, but he needed to make sure that neither Tampa Bay nor Atlanta would snatch one of the Sedins at number one or two.   Burke traded two later round selections and the number four pick to Tampa Bay to move into their number one slot, and then sent a pick to Atlanta to allow the Thrashers to move to number one with an assurance they would not pick a Sedin.  That left Vancouver with the number two and three choices, which landed them Daniel and Henrik, respectively."

1 minute ago, RWMc1 said:

The actual series of events doesn't fit with your narrow vision of how things should be done. It cost us a good d-man and multiple draft picks.

"So how did Burke pull off the maneuver to draft both Sedins?  The main piece of the puzzle was trading Bryan McCabe, the strong defenseman acquired in the Trevor Linden trade, to the Chicago Blackhawks.  McCabe and a future first rounder landed Vancouver the Blackhawks first round pick, which was number four in the draft.  Now Burke had two top five choices, but he needed to make sure that neither Tampa Bay nor Atlanta would snatch one of the Sedins at number one or two.   Burke traded two later round selections and the number four pick to Tampa Bay to move into their number one slot, and then sent a pick to Atlanta to allow the Thrashers to move to number one with an assurance they would not pick a Sedin.  That left Vancouver with the number two and three choices, which landed them Daniel and Henrik, respectively."

True, and we got McCabe from the Islanders in the Linden trade.  The point is: we need to draft our elite talent, and until we get another couple guys like the Twins, we will suck socks.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

True, and we got McCabe from the Islanders in the Linden trade.  The point is: we need to draft our elite talent, and until we get another couple guys like the Twins, we will suck socks.

This is true, but there are other moving parts here.  The BS that is the draft lottery, the Canucks luck, and the respective upcoming draft classes.  Its already been determined this will be a soft year, we lost last years draft lottery (Juolevi was a decent consolation prize, but he's no Laine), so now we are waiting on the 2018 draft?  Drafting is all well and good, but a Sedin like draft is one in a decade, if you are very lucky and lets face it, we aren't. 

The other option here is trade for one of the top 3 positions at trade deadline.  Doing that without surrendering our #1 in a year where the draft class is superior, then we are getting somewhere, but again, who's got that kind of time in this market? 

I actually believe JB's plan of trading for sophomores is the right plan of action, mixing in with our vets.  Where this plan is lacking is that we need a tried and true YOUNG superstar now, and that IS a Duchene or a Panarin or a Tarasenko.  So if a team is saying one of them is available, we bleed to get them, cuz we are bleeding anyways.

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

Wouldn't it be better to try and get Jost? Landeskog has concerns over his concussion history, and I'd rather have a struggling Boone Jenner who if he isn't scoring, he's hitting. Something the Canucks desperately need.

So another Jake Virtanen?  See my earlier post on this.  Right now, we have a enough potential "grit" players, we need a gifted sniper pure and simple.  We are about two finishers away from being a halfway decent team

3 minutes ago, Type R said:

So another Jake Virtanen?  See my earlier post on this.  Right now, we have a enough potential "grit" players, we need a gifted sniper pure and simple.  We are about two finishers away from being a halfway decent team

A grinder that scored 30 goals last year?

Archived