The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Rodin | RW/LW

b3.

He brings a similar skillset as Baertschi, so I could see them deployed on different lines to inject offense on lines with our two way centres.

Etem and Virtanen are working out together this off season, and can both shoot & hit - seem like a good compliment to Granlund who can make plays and is soft.

Sedins Eriksson 

Baertschi Sutter Hansen

Burrows Horvat Rodin

Etem Granlund Virtanen

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

He brings a similar skillset as Baertschi, so I could see them deployed on different lines to inject offense on lines with our two way centres.

Etem and Virtanen are working out together this off season, and can both shoot & hit - seem like a good compliment to Granlund who can make plays and is soft.

Sedins Eriksson 

Baertschi Sutter Hansen

Burrows Horvat Rodin

Etem Granlund Virtanen

That could work but I think they go with a super shutdown line instead;

Sedins / Eriksson

Baertschi / Horvat / Rodin or Virtanen

Burrows / Sutter / Hansen

Etem / Granlund or Gaunce / Virtanen or Dorsett

I expect Rodin and Baertschi to push each other and Horvat should be the guy to glue them together.

Super shut down line and maybe Etem, Gaunce and Virtanen can bump some bodies and get a few goals...

...this could be magic...

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

That could work but I think they go with a super shutdown line instead;

Sedins / Eriksson

Baertschi / Horvat / Rodin or Virtanen

Burrows / Sutter / Hansen

Etem / Granlund or Gaunce / Virtanen or Dorsett

I expect Rodin and Baertschi to push each other and Horvat should be the guy to glue them together.

Super shut down line and maybe Etem, Gaunce and Virtanen can bump some bodies and get a few goals...

...this could be magic...

Burrows Sutter Hansen has lots of appeal as a shutdown line.

Very interested to see how the younger guys show at camp.

2 hours ago, ashbury said:

Doesn't mean that much but it's worth noting that during the 04-05 lockout Henrik Zetterberg was one year younger than Rodin is now; Zetterberg led the SHL in scoring that season with 50 points in 50 games. The next season in the NHL Zetterberg posted 85 points in 77 games played. Rodin's SHL stats (37pts in 33gp last season) are extremely impressive, it's going to be very interesting to see if his skills translate to the NHL. It's quite apparent that he has an elite skillset. 

That redwings team was really good tho

why are people thinking that Virtanen will be deployed on the 4th line? if that's the case. I'd rather have him on the top line down in the AHL to get some seasoning and boost of confidence. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

why are people thinking that Virtanen will be deployed on the 4th line? if that's the case. I'd rather have him on the top line down in the AHL to get some seasoning and boost of confidence. 

It doesn't mean he'll only play the kind of minutes that Torts would give Sestito.

If Virt makes the team out of camp, he,ll play around during 11-15 mins a night, and may even see action on our special teams. 

The "4th line minutes" aren't what they used to be. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

It doesn't mean he'll only play the kind of minutes that Torts would give Sestito.

If Virt makes the team out of camp, he,ll play around during 11-15 mins a night, and may even see action on our special teams. 

The "4th line minutes" aren't what they used to be. 

yeah. I get that as well. I understand that the fourth line isn't a traditional fourth line. but I would still prefer for Virtanen to be given top line minutes down in the farm. don't get me wrong. I'd love for jake to make the team out of camp. and build off of his 15 point season from last year. let's hope he makes a good jump from last year. I'm excited for him. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

yeah. I get that as well. I understand that the fourth line isn't a traditional fourth line. but I would still prefer for Virtanen to be given top line minutes down in the farm. don't get me wrong. I'd love for jake to make the team out of camp. and build off of his 15 point season from last year. let's hope he makes a good jump from last year. I'm excited for him. 

Agreed, I am very interested to see how he progresses this year.  If he can put it together he can be a impactful, dynamic player.

I think we should all be careful to assume *either* Virtanen or Rodin will make an impact with the Canucks this season, or even crack the lineups.

First, they need to have a good training camp to even be placed on the team.  While they both certainly have talent, they have also both proven they were not ready for their desired roles when initially expected of them.  Rodin was previously written off as a bust, and who knows how he will adapt to the NHL game.  At least in Virtanen's case, I'll give him a bit of a pass as he was put with the big club too quickly. 

I'm not saying they won't play with the Canucks.  Not at all.  They may thrive this season, and I'm certainly hoping for that.  But I think it is presumptuous to be pencilling either into a 2nd line role at this point. 

12 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Virt may very well be in Utica, particularly if Rodin shows well. There just won't be space for him (or Burrows etc).

That said, personally I think our 4th line is going to be more offense oriented. Something like Rodin, Granlund, Virtanen. Or Burrows, Granlund, Virtanen if they want a veteran presence/Rodin doesn't make it. 

3 hours ago, kloubek said:

I think we should all be careful to assume *either* Virtanen or Rodin will make an impact with the Canucks this season, or even crack the lineups.

First, they need to have a good training camp to even be placed on the team.  While they both certainly have talent, they have also both proven they were not ready for their desired roles when initially expected of them.  Rodin was previously written off as a bust, and who knows how he will adapt to the NHL game.  At least in Virtanen's case, I'll give him a bit of a pass as he was put with the big club too quickly. 

I'm not saying they won't play with the Canucks.  Not at all.  They may thrive this season, and I'm certainly hoping for that.  But I think it is presumptuous to be pencilling either into a 2nd line role at this point. 

You have to be careful when assessing Rodin from his previous time in the AHL. He suffered from extensive should injury and in addition Chicago were all about winning and not about development so ice time was limited for all the Vcr prospects. Buying a franchise and locating it in Utica has been a great change around for the organization, for which Aqualinni/Gillis must get full credit I hope Rodin comes in fit, healthy and ready to go after his serious surgery

In a league where space is a premium, Anton is going to need to use his speed to create his own room.

But i like that he can go to the dirty areas to score, not just on the perimeter.

However, depending how he recovers from his leg injury he suffered late this season, will determine how well he starts out at the gate at training camp/preseason.  Management seems to have him penciled in for a scoring position but we all know Willie sometimes has different ideologies on players

56 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

In a league where space is a premium, Anton is going to need to use his speed to create his own room.

But i like that he can go to the dirty areas to score, not just on the perimeter.

However, depending how he recovers from his leg injury he suffered late this season, will determine how well he starts out at the gate at training camp/preseason.  Management seems to have him penciled in for a scoring position but we all know Willie sometimes has different ideologies on players

sometimes I wonder if willie is on the same page as his GM and president. there are times when what he says makes me wonder if they're on completely different pages. 

• Upvote 4