The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Rodin | RW/LW

b3.

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

There is a HUGE difference between the NHL and those Euro leagues.  The games happens a lot faster here, and is far more physical.  I have high hopes for Rodin and Larson, but really don't see them contributing much.  They are not in their first go-around here like Tryamkin.  These guys had chances already, and look to have taken the earlier road - heading back to Europe rather than developing their NHL games in the A.  

Rodin never got a sniff of the NHL when he was in Utica, we were stacked and he was young and weak.

He has 8 weeks more to get strong enough to play that should be enough time to get him close to where he was at the start of last year, from there he should be able to improve like any 24-25 year old player.

Calle Jarnkrok just signed a 6 year $12 mil. deal, 24 year old with 30 points last season and drafted just after Rodin.

I think Rodin does better than 30 points and signs a bigger deal next summer, similar players but Rodin is better defensively and may be smarter.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

There is a HUGE difference between the NHL and those Euro leagues.  The games happens a lot faster here, and is far more physical.  I have high hopes for Rodin and Larson, but really don't see them contributing much.  They are not in their first go-around here like Tryamkin.  These guys had chances already, and look to have taken the earlier road - heading back to Europe rather than developing their NHL games in the A.  

You're right Alf! Definitely a big difference from SHL to the NHL. But Rodin didn't really get much of a chance back when he was still in the Canuck system. Back then our farm team was the Chicago Wolves and they were abysmal when it came to developing our prospects. 

I still have high hopes for Rodin, and still think he'll stick in the NHL. I remember when we first drafted Rodin, and I paid close attention to him. He has legitimate top 6 speed and skill. He just lacked the strength to make it in the NHL. I'm really hoping he hits around 35 points this season!

• Upvote 2

And Rodin did have to fight through some injury issues, so that factored into his time in the AHL. I'm not as sure our problems with the Wolves contributed, as Rodin did get chances, but he also showed flashes of brilliance. He has the capability to make a go of it this time around, but we'll have to see how much he can train this summer and get ready for camp.

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Rodin never got a sniff of the NHL when he was in Utica, we were stacked and he was young and weak.

He has 8 weeks more to get strong enough to play that should be enough time to get him close to where he was at the start of last year, from there he should be able to improve like any 24-25 year old player.

Calle Jarnkrok just signed a 6 year $12 mil. deal, 24 year old with 30 points last season and drafted just after Rodin.

I think Rodin does better than 30 points and signs a bigger deal next summer, similar players but Rodin is better defensively and may be smarter.

I don't see them as similar players.   Laviolette says Jarnkrok is one of the smartest player on the Predators - he's also one of their best defensive forward and is one of their main PKer.  Jarnkrok is more of a utility forward - he can slide up and down the lineup at every position.

Edited by mll

I remember Rodin having the style to play in North America, but after his shoulder injury he shied away from it. 

His production since returning to Sweden is very encouraging. 
Now that he's here, hopefully he surprises. 

• Upvote 1

It's a freebie. 

He has shown some moxie in the SHL and it's worth a shot.  If he doesn't pan out, he will go back the SHL and get well paid. 

If he can give us 15-20 goals and is not a liability defensively, then winner winner chicken dinner. Really it's like gambling with someone else's money.  Our team is not going to base its hopes on his production this season, so anything is bonus. 

Basically the best situation Rodin can hope for entering into the NHL. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

It's a freebie. 

He has shown some moxie in the SHL and it's worth a shot.  If he doesn't pan out, he will go back the SHL and get well paid. 

If he can give us 15-20 goals and is not a liability defensively, then winner winner chicken dinner. Really it's like gambling with someone else's money.  Our team is not going to base its hopes on his production this season, so anything is bonus. 

Basically the best situation Rodin can hope for entering into the NHL. 

I agree that Rodin is a crap shoot and I will watch his pre-season with interest. A 1 year deal to find out is worth it. As a rule I want heavier players and not a team overloaded with lighter snipers. The NHL gets bigger and heavier every year. As much as Canuck fans get excited about the bigger players coming into the roster it is through necessity which Benning realizes.

The Canucks are not a heavy team. Look at the size of the competition. The Jets and Oilers are getting big fast!  

19 hours ago, elvis15 said:

hit the icehe can train this summer and get ready for camp.

The Chicago Woles were an independent AHL team. The owner ran it strictly as a business. He signed many independent  players himself and Vcr was basically "permitted to park" some of their prospects on the team. The Manager was a Wolves guy and had a LOT of run in's with Vcr management types when they tried to inject their prospects on to the ice. Chicago wanted to be in the AHL play-offs every year and make money ASAP. Some prospect dressed but rarely hit the ice. It wasn't a good place to develop youngsters. Thank heavens Gillis persuaded Aquaman to buy their own AHL franchise. I wondered how St L would fair with the Wolves but I suppose St L doesn't carry a lot of prospects any  way.  I think JD determined the contract St L /Wolves and maybe learned from Vcr mistake

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I agree that Rodin is a crap shoot and I will watch his pre-season with interest. A 1 year deal to find out is worth it. As a rule I want heavier players and not a team overloaded with lighter snipers. The NHL gets bigger and heavier every year. As much as Canuck fans get excited about the bigger players coming into the roster it is through necessity which Benning realizes.

The Canucks are not a heavy team. Look at the size of the competition. The Jets and Oilers are getting big fast!  

Vancouver is heading in the right direction. Gudbranson, Trymakin, Pedan, Horvat, Virtannen, Etem and Gaunce are all very sizeable guys.    I am okay with a winger or two on the light side.  As much as larger players are the norm, we are seeing small speed skill guys sliping thru and doing damage.  

Rodin and Baer have those roles, no more for now. 

what we should have are players that can respond when Nurse and Lucic Maroon and Kassian start messing about. I think we have some players that can handle that. 

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Some awesome person collected data on the heights and weights of NHL players over almost 100 years and then charted them here:
https://hockey-graphs.com/2015/02/19/nhl-player-size-from-1917-18-to-2014-15-a-brief-look/

It shows that player size in recent years is stagnating, not increasing. If anything, it peaked in the early 2000's and then has been on a slight decline since the 2004 lockout. This trend should bode well for players that are slightly smaller and have skill. Whether Rodin can succeed at the NHL level is up for debate right now, considering he hasn't played here yet, and is recovering from injuries that may set him back from optimal performance at training camp. 

I realize that this may not directly refute your point that some of the teams around the Canucks are getting bigger, and indeed some of them have. A  couple good question to ask could be:

• What roles are the bigger players on these teams having? (top/bottom 6 fwd? top 4 d?)
  • How much are they on the ice? (are they on long enough to make an impact?)
  • Who are they on the ice with? (are they complimenting smaller players to make room or are they a big bruising line/D-pair?)
  • Skill set? (Big =/= tough or intimidating?)

I'm sure there are more questions you could ask, but I've gone off on a tangent, and this is the Rodin thread. Personally, I hope he can make the roster and be a serviceable player for the Canucks, but only time will tell. Expectation beyond that from me seems unproductive.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2016 at 6:39 AM, J.R. said:

This is why I'm guessing we see Hansen with the twins, Eriksson on the 2nd line and Rodin with Granlund. 

We'll basically have a 1B line, 2A, 2B and 2C :lol:

And as far as I know, Burrows, Dorsett, Virtanen, Etem and Rodin can all play either wing. 

Edit: Eriksson too. 

Although I think we will start the season with Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson, I like this idea and it should be tried if other lines underperform and/or we don't trade for a 2LW. 

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen

Burrows-Sutter-Eriksson

Baertschi-Horvat-Etem

Rodin-Granlund-Dorsett/Virtanen

Only question mark is the fourth line (or the 2C line). Too small and not much speed if not Virtanen. And it seems to be lacking in the skills department unless Rodin proves otherwise.

1 hour ago, khay said:

Although I think we will start the season with Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson, I like this idea and it should be tried if other lines underperform and/or we don't trade for a 2LW. 

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen

Burrows-Sutter-Eriksson

Baertschi-Horvat-Etem

Rodin-Granlund-Dorsett/Virtanen

Only question mark is the fourth line (or the 2C line). Too small and not much speed if not Virtanen. And it seems to be lacking in the skills department unless Rodin proves otherwise.

Does keeping Burr, hurt Rodin chances?

On 7/31/2016 at 1:38 PM, Echo Park said:

Some awesome person collected data on the heights and weights of NHL players over almost 100 years and then charted them here:
https://hockey-graphs.com/2015/02/19/nhl-player-size-from-1917-18-to-2014-15-a-brief-look/

It shows that player size in recent years is stagnating, not increasing. If anything, it peaked in the early 2000's and then has been on a slight decline since the 2004 lockout. This trend should bode well for players that are slightly smaller and have skill. Whether Rodin can succeed at the NHL level is up for debate right now, considering he hasn't played here yet, and is recovering from injuries that may set him back from optimal performance at training camp. 

I realize that this may not directly refute your point that some of the teams around the Canucks are getting bigger, and indeed some of them have. A  couple good question to ask could be:

• What roles are the bigger players on these teams having? (top/bottom 6 fwd? top 4 d?)
  • How much are they on the ice? (are they on long enough to make an impact?)
  • Who are they on the ice with? (are they complimenting smaller players to make room or are they a big bruising line/D-pair?)
  • Skill set? (Big =/= tough or intimidating?)

I'm sure there are more questions you could ask, but I've gone off on a tangent, and this is the Rodin thread. Personally, I hope he can make the roster and be a serviceable player for the Canucks, but only time will tell. Expectation beyond that from me seems unproductive.

I feel like the average player is getting bigger, as goons have basically been removed from the league. Losing the goons means you lose the highest end of "big players", so it being stagnant means that the lower end (or at least the middle) is picking up the slack. So this means that we're seeing more big guys with skill, rather than small skilled players and big goons.

This is strictly speculative on my part and has no sources to backup my claims.

17 hours ago, c00kies said:

I feel like the average player is getting bigger, as goons have basically been removed from the league. Losing the goons means you lose the highest end of "big players", so it being stagnant means that the lower end (or at least the middle) is picking up the slack. So this means that we're seeing more big guys with skill, rather than small skilled players and big goons.

I see what you're saying, and it makes sense. How many goons are/were there, (on average) per team though? One or two? So somewhere between 30-60 players that were designated fighters? Personally, that seems a little high, but for arguments sake lets say there were 45 designated goons in the league in any given year (obviously this is guesswork and inexact). 

Now, I don't think that the league has gotten rid of all the players that partake in regular tomfoolery, but a rough estimate could be about 50% of them are left. So that would mean about 22-23 players/roster spots are open to non-"goons." Which, is a fair amount. 

I did a quick check of the NHL.com player data  base for the amount of players that are 6'5" and above, and then counted how many are fighters (given my knowledge of NHL players, the number of fighters may be a little off - it was based off of the player reputation and the amount of PIMs the player had).

Number of Players 6'5" and above:
2015: 44 - 3 fighters
2014: 39 - 4 fighters
2013: 45 - 7 fighters
2012: 46 - 6 fighters
2011: 43 - 9 fighters

So, with this incredibly un-scientific review, you can see that there has been an increase in big players that are not fighters, but it's not a huge difference. Additionally, a lot of the players barely saw any ice time, so that would tell you that a lot of them aren't full time players, or good enough to play in the NHL consistently as of yet. 

I realize that my choice of height value was arbitrary (I didn't have a lot of time), and that this isn't particularly illuminating (and is deeply flawed). So do with it what you choose. 

However the case, I hope that Rodin can pull through his injury, have a good showing at camp and make a positive difference on the Canucks team this year. It would be wonderful if we could have a little more depth of scoring!

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=891105

Ready for Rodin

Tuesday, 08.16.2016 / 10:29 AM PT / Features
By Ryan Biech

It’s been a summer of change for the Vancouver Canucks with the high profile acquisitions of defenceman Erik Gudbranson and winger Loui Eriksson. Both of those overshadowed an addition that was completed before last season ended: the re-signing of Swedish winger Anton Rodin.

Rodin is a former 2009 second round pick of the Canucks who has played in the AHL and the Swedish Hockey League throughout his young career so far.

After being selected in the NHL Entry Draft, Rodin returned to Sweden to further develop his game with hopes of eventually making the leap to North America. Most Canucks fans got their first look at Rodin when he represented Sweden at 2010 World Juniors in Saskatchewan, and it was a very good first showing.

Helping lead Sweden to a bronze medal with 10 points in 6 games, Rodin showed flashes of what his potential could be - a playmaker who uses his combination of high end skating abilities, hockey vision and passing abilities to make everyone on his line better.

However, battling a shoulder injury, the Gavle, Sweden native had some struggles his first time in North America. At the conclusion of the 2012-13 season, after only posting 14 points in 49 games during an injury filled 49 game season with then AHL affiliate Chicago Wolves, Rodin returned to Sweden to play for his hometown Brynas IF.

The Canucks had submitted a qualifying offer prior to his departure to retain his NHL rights, which was a savvy idea at the time because although Rodin had some trouble adjusting to the AHL, the skill he possessed was still clearly displayed. That small move now looks even better because after three years in the SHL, Rodin appears ready to make the leap to the NHL.

Those injury concerns from earlier in his career are a thing of the past, as Rodin has recently shown a propensity to battle in front of the net and get those dirty goals. Throughout this past season, he has taken a big hit, got back up and jumped back into the battle. Scoring big goals right in front of net or battling in the corners and coming out with the puck. Promising signs for a skilled player looking to round out his game.

All of this while being one of the best players in the Swedish Hockey League. Rodin was leading the league in scoring before suffering a freak injury in practice where a teammates skate cut him just below the knee, that resulted in him missing the remainder of the regular season and playoffs.

Despite missing 19 games last year, Rodin concluded the SHL season tied for 15th in points and finished the season in first place in points per game at 1.12 PPG and 6th in assists per game with 0.636 A/PG. That production did not go unnoticed as Rodin won the SHL Golden Helmet, which is awarded to the most valuable player in a player vote, similar to the Ted Lindsay Award in the NHL. His production was comparable to totals that were posted by Colorado Avalanche centre Carl Soderberg and New York Rangers winger Mats Zuccarello before they made the leap to North America. So there is a track record of players who saw high levels of success in the SHL translating to the NHL.

All of those offensive accolades are impressive and are the noticeable parts of Rodin’s game, but he has also rounded his game out to be effective in all three zones. He uses his skating abilities and reads to help in the defensive zone and then transition the puck out of the zone.

That is an important development for any player, because sometimes the puck just won’t bounce the right way or a player can’t seem to buy a goal. So having the ability to make a tangible impact in your own zone goes a long way towards making a tangible impact to every game.

The injury that Rodin suffered in January has limited Rodin’s ability to skate this summer, but it is expected that he will be ready to go for training camp next month.

With that being said, it’s hard to predict what will happen with Rodin, however if his past season is any indication of what can happen, then there is reason to be excited. The underlying skill is there to make an impact in offensive zone, and Rodin has shown over the past three seasons in Sweden to be an effective defensive player when required. All that’s left is for Rodin to make his NHL debut this fall and try to bring some of that success to Vancouver.  

Edited by Bigturk8

On August 15, 2016 at 2:48 PM, c00kies said:

Pretty much my thoughts too.  

Stats say the league is getting smaller.  

Thats only because the 6'4, 250lbs goon is gone from the game.  

For the next couple years, I could see it looking like the league is going smaller, until the fighters are all gone.  

Then we see a slow rise back up because with the new training, nutrition knowledge, etc.....   Kids are going to be bigger.  

Guys are gonna weigh more. 

Bigger, faster, stronger.