The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks @ Bruins

-Vintage Canuck-

9 hours ago, Davathor said:

Wait I thought the draft was rigged anyways? Bettman and the NHL have a secret conspiracy to punish the Canucks and their fans and keep them from ever winning the Cup, amirite Canuck fans?

I have no idea if the current draft approach is corrupt. I have not investigated how it works and what accountability mechanisms are in place. Regardless, finishing last in a deep draft year will guarantee a great pick. What were the odds for Toronto picking in the top 3 last year? 

9 hours ago, hlinkas wrister said:

Oh, you mean we could have had Laine if we lost more last year? F#@& me, now I'm really confused.

Canucks had a better chance at #2 draft pick than Winnipeg did yet Winnipeg moved up 4 whole spots and Vancouver fell 2 spots, that's how freaky the draft lottery is.

9 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Too many Canuck fans want to continue on a long road of being mediocre .  Hoping each year for a 8-10th conference final finish.

Good clubs move players when they still have some value and acquire younger up and coming players. 

The next 2 1/2 weeks will tell fans everything about where this club is headed in the cycle. This is the pivotal year in JBs contract and even though his middle name is Elmer and he's not the smoothest orator ever, he's not blind.

15 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Canucks are now tied with Dallas, Winnipeg, Buffalo, and Detroit... for points above only Colorado and Arizona.  Tampa and Carolina are one point up, so they're within a point of being anywhere from 3rd to 9th last.  Considering the schedule ahead, they're clinging to avoid sole possession of that bottom seeding.  After the road trip they play Calgary on HNIC then Philly then have their break.  With 10 days until the TDL it will likely be quite clear by then what direction the team is headed, so the timing this year is good at least.

I believe it is clear now which direction they are heading 4 losses in their last 5 with tough teams to play.

9 hours ago, hlinkas wrister said:

Oh, you mean we could have had Laine if we lost more last year? F#@& me, now I'm really confused.

Perhaps I can assist. Three more losses last year would have put the Nucks last, just below Toronto. Being last would have meant a 52.5% chance of being in the top 3. Being last would have also meant a 100% chance of being in the top 4. Because the nucks finished 3rd, they only had a 34% chance at a top 3 and a whopping 37.8% chance of picking 5th, where they landed. They also were only guaranteed to pick within the top 6.

It's all about odds and they were really in Toronto's favour last year, especially because the draft year had arguably 2 or 3 No. 1 level picks. Why do you think Toronto dumped so many assets and played with an AHL team. They were fishing for their generational player. What were the Nucks doing? Trying to sneak into the play-offs?

Vancouver was not unlucky falling to 5th. 5th was actually the spot where they had the best odds to land. I would have taken a guaranteed top 4 and 52% chance at a top 3, over three useless road wins. Especially for this particular draft year. The team had the excuse of injuries so the fan and league reaction would not have been much different.

29 minutes ago, Creepy Crawler said:

Canucks had a better chance at #2 draft pick than Winnipeg did yet Winnipeg moved up 4 whole spots and Vancouver fell 2 spots, that's how freaky the draft lottery is.

Not freaky, the difference was negligible. About a 3% difference. Where they needed to be was in last place to have materially increased their odds at a generational forward pick. But there remains hope that our no. 5 D pick will be that elite and elusive D stud every team drools over. 

1 hour ago, NHTyrany said:

I have no idea if the current draft approach is corrupt. I have not investigated how it works and what accountability mechanisms are in place. Regardless, finishing last in a deep draft year will guarantee a great pick. What were the odds for Toronto picking in the top 3 last year? 

I believe they had a 50% chance of picking top 3. 20% chance of first overall.

9 hours ago, Bo053 said:

And? We still had a higher % chance of getting a better pick than they did, just didn't happen this time.

The point was you said a few extra garbage games a year isn't worth it but if it ends up being the difference that gets us a top 3 pick like Laine or Matthews last year then yes it is absolutely worth it.

I didnt say anything about a few extra garbage games, that was another poster. Fact is, we did enough to get a top 3 pick and got jobbed by the system. Thats how lotteries work, it takes some measure of luck regardless how you try to skew the results in your favour.

4 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Jeez it's feeding time for the hindsight coaches once again.

Watch Horvat's game. He is more of a carrier/counter attack player who uses his speed and drives to the net. All this crap about being top scorer but look at most of Bo's goals, are they scored in PP, or 6 on 5 situations? No, now look at the Sedins goals.

It has to be said Bo is not that great in close quarter stick handling situations, unlike the Sedins who thrive in these conditions. Which of these scenarios paint where we were last night? This was not a 3 on 3 where Bo's attributes come into play and wasn't it right to have him fresh for that possibility?

Too many people think this game is played on a playstation.

So, what Willie ACTUALLY remembers is that the Sedins are great in close quarter, keep the puck, man advantage, situations and while Bo may become that guy, he is not there yet.

•  

It's about results ALf...the Sedins haven't been what you describe for some time except for very brief moments.  Against a team defending desperately... fast, tenacious physical players who shoot and crash the net for rebounds usually results in late game goals.  The opposite style to what the Sedins play.  

It's funny how you consistently trash the Sedins for being no longer effective yet when their deployment is tied to your boy WD, you suddenly consider them to be the best offensive option.

For the record, I was against the deployment when it happened, not after the non-result.  No hindsight involved at all.

10 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

It would have been worth the loses. This was the biggest let down so far of the new regime. They should have traded Hanmer for a bag of pucks. Losing him might have propelled the tank without actually tanking.  Juolevi is a great prospect, but Laine or Mathews... it hurts too much to think about it. 

God I wish we had that bag of pucks, instead of the having the guy that tried to help Tryamkin be comfortable in North America.  What's the corsi on that anyway?

Not freaky, the difference was negligible. About a 3% difference. Where they needed to be was in last place to have materially increased their odds at a generational forward pick. But there remains hope that our no. 5 D pick will be that elite and elusive D stud every team drools over. 

almost akin the the spinning wheel with Sabre 1970 ees in entry my betting money says all four have generational careers in the league.

Perhaps I can assist. Three more losses last year would have put the Nucks last, just below Toronto. Being last would have meant a 52.5% chance of being in the top 3. Being last would have also meant a 100% chance of being in the top 4. Because the nucks finished 3rd, they only had a 34% chance at a top 3 and a whopping 37.8% chance of picking 5th, where they landed. They also were only guaranteed to pick within the top 6.

It's all about odds and they were really in Toronto's favour last year, especially because the draft year had arguably 2 or 3 No. 1 level picks. Why do you think Toronto dumped so many assets and played with an AHL team. They were fishing for their generational player. What were the Nucks doing? Trying to sneak into the play-offs?

Vancouver was not unlucky falling to 5th. 5th was actually the spot where they had the best odds to land. I would have taken a guaranteed top 4 and 52% chance at a top 3, over three useless road wins. Especially for this particular draft year. The team had the excuse of injuries so the fan and league reaction would not have been much different.

Yes of course your 100% right.  Hammer should have been sat out if not not traded at that point.....  

Canuck management went for 3 road wins in a useless season over a generational prospect for our club.

Unbelievable poor management.  

5 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Miller had an outstanding win record against Boston so let's imagine Markstrom was brought in against them and we were beaten how would that go down with the single cell cretins on here, or the media?

No coach can win over hindsight, it just not possible and there are more masters degrees in it on CDC than anywhere else in the world.

OK spaz. Even if Markstrom lost, I would still think it's the right move. The guy needs to be given a string of games. Miller needs rest.

43 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yes of course your 100% right.  Hammer should have been sat out if not not traded at that point.....  

Canuck management went for 3 road wins in a useless season over a generational prospect for our club.

Unbelievable poor management.  

Unbelievably stupid comment.

Players play to win.

You don't manage to lose. Any team that does isn't worth following.

Unfortunate turn of events at the lottery. C'est la vie.

3 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

The next 2 1/2 weeks will tell fans everything about where this club is headed in the cycle. This is the pivotal year in JBs contract and even though his middle name is Elmer and he's not the smoothest orator ever, he's not blind.

Then some of us, and our opinions, will be considered hindsight. No matter how positive "I" am about the team, this won't change their trajectory. 

I would much rather be pleasantly surprised, but I project that they missed the boat  by waiting too long to rebuild and buy keeping guys 

Ike Barcheese, Granlund and Hutton around to insulate the one-man core with and will have this team mired in nothingness for the next decade, when they will once again, rebuild, with high picks, without Bo.

This team is the Winnipeg or Carolina of the 2010's in the making. 

1 hour ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

Is that what Winnipeg did?  I get so confused about the lottery.

It's a lottery, they know the risks, if you can call it that. 

Playing the odds is a smart move, but you need a ticket to get a lottery chance. Finishig low buys you a great ticket. Pretty simple, don't know why you're confused. The odds were well worth the tank. 

3 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

This is where we were 12 months ago. The record is skipping. 

Archived