The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Love the optimism.   So if a prospect isn't all-star material in the first 50 or so NHL games they are clearly going nowhere with their careers.  Is that how it works?

Nah I think its more along the lines of if they dont play in the league in their draft year they are a complete bust... Or maybe thats only for D-men?

20 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

True, he reminds me of Radulov when he was a rookie. There were a lot of really bad plays and the coach was reluctant to play him but he became a real good NHL'er in the end (aside from the attitude that is)

He reminds me of Michael Grabner as the same things were said about him Would love to have had Grabner on our team for the last number of years. Let's give him a little more time folks.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

It has nothing to do with skill level.  His attitude, his work ethic and his intensity just isn't right for this league, he's into his third year of lighting up the AHL but not being able to hold down a spot in the NHL.  He floats, he doesn't battle, he waits for the play to come to him, it's the same issues every year.  He knows he's on thin ice but he continues with the same bad habits.  My guess is that he will be gone soon

I agree and I am a BIG Goldobin fan.  Most of the talk about his lack of playing time in the NHL is based on his poor defensive play, which while not stellar isn't terrible for a very young super talented offensive player.  To me it is clearly his intensity and lack of engagement.  I remember when Kassian was here and I said the same thing about him,  . . . he would not engage.  He shows a general lack of intensity in trying to be the first to the puck or trying his hardest to win board battles.  He often seems to skate on the periphery just behind the play.

He is well worth the wait and effort to see if he can overcome his deficiencies because if he can, he has the potential to be an elite offensive player in this league, and I am hopefull it is with the Canucks.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Stormriders said:

I agree and I am a BIG Goldobin fan.  Most of the talk about his lack of playing time in the NHL is based on his poor defensive play, which while not stellar isn't terrible for a very young super talented offensive player.  To me it is clearly his intensity and lack of engagement.  I remember when Kassian was here and I said the same thing about him,  . . . he would not engage.  He shows a general lack of intensity in trying to be the first to the puck or trying his hardest to win board battles.  He often seems to skate on the periphery just behind the play.

He is well worth the wait and effort to see if he can overcome his deficiencies because if he can, he has the potential to be an elite offensive player in this league, and I am hopefull it is with the Canucks.

As I've said before.

One of our most outright skilled prospects. But he also floats, lacks puck pursuit/battle, doesn't go to dirty areas, needs to get stronger etc, etc.

If he can round out those parts of his game, he'll be a good NHL'er, maybe even great.

If he can't, he's a lotto ticket that didn't turn out.

Sounded like he was working at those parts of his game at the AHL level but it hasn't seemed to transfer up on this recall. Maybe it's time to send him back down despite the injury woes.

In a way he kind of reminds me of Yakupov, and its more than just the Russian/Sarnia aspect. Let me steal/alter a line from Bull Durham...Yak and Goldy seem to have million dollar skills but 5cent hockey IQ's. For Yakupov it was he would skate around like crazy and never seem to accomplish much and for Goldy it seems like hes never in the right position, even most of the AHL and couple on NHL goals hes scored just seem to be on an individual effort as opposed to a great team play. He's signed for one more year after this one and then will be an RFA, hopefully he doesn't get frustrated if they send him down again and decides to bolt after next season. Yak has stuck it out and Goldy has said he will as well so I guess only time will tell.

On 12/21/2017 at 1:51 PM, GritGrinder said:

In a way he kind of reminds me of Yakupov, and its more than just the Russian/Sarnia aspect. Let me steal/alter a line from Bull Durham...Yak and Goldy seem to have million dollar skills but 5cent hockey IQ's. For Yakupov it was he would skate around like crazy and never seem to accomplish much and for Goldy it seems like hes never in the right position, even most of the AHL and couple on NHL goals hes scored just seem to be on an individual effort as opposed to a great team play. He's signed for one more year after this one and then will be an RFA, hopefully he doesn't get frustrated if they send him down again and decides to bolt after next season. Yak has stuck it out and Goldy has said he will as well so I guess only time will tell.

Goldobin if he pans out, hes Alex Semin. If he doesnt, hes also Alex Semin

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Goldobin if he pans out, hes Alex Semin. If he doesnt, hes also Alex Semin

He showed a few flashes last night which were impressive. Made a few setups that could have been goals. 

Some fans are bailing on this kid pretty quickly. He has to have TOI and some patience. He had a - 2 last night and I don't blame him for any of it. When injured forwards return he likely ends back in Utica. My hope is that he takes the demotion well and continues to work on his game. Not willing to write this kid off by any means. If anything he should shot more rather than trying to set up line mates as much as he does. 

That third period against St Louis, he looked like a man on a mission.  Was impressed how he was battling in hard to play areas behind the net and in front.  Got outmuscled there, but you could see the effort was there, and even through a body check.  He even showed great flashes of some nifty offensive plays, he is so smart, but that work ethic needs to compensate when he doesn't have the puck.

Would like to see him get a more prominent role offensively...maybe even form a nice second line with Jake Virtanen when everyone is healthy.

• Upvote 1

I'm not really worried about the threat of Goldobin leaving for Russia. His agent has repeatedly said, he is making the commitment to working hard and staying in the NHL. Tryamkin and Burmistrov's situations were a bit different because there were rumours of them not being happy with their ice-time. I'm sure Goldobin wants to play in the top six regularly, but he needs to continue to work hard and the extra ice-time and opportunity will come to him gradually.

36 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

That third period against St Louis, he looked like a man on a mission.  Was impressed how he was battling in hard to play areas behind the net and in front.  Got outmuscled there, but you could see the effort was there, and even through a body check.  He even showed great flashes of some nifty offensive plays, he is so smart, but that work ethic needs to compensate when he doesn't have the puck.

Would like to see him get a more prominent role offensively...maybe even form a nice second line with Jake Virtanen when everyone is healthy.

I'm hoping he starts to shoot more rather than pass off. Made some great passes last night. His coach in Utica said he did not expect to see Goldy back. Virtanen gets +15 TOI last night and Goldy about 10 minutes. If Virtanen and Gaunce are any indicator Green's preferred plan is to have him at 10 minutes until he adjusts. He is still young and if he returns to Utica later this spring it is still good. 

13 minutes ago, samurai said:

An ‘argument from authority’ would be a doctor saying believe me about the diagnosis because I am doctor.  You are misusing the term.  Keep trying.

You're saying "Believe me about Goldobin because I watched the game in person like scouts do", thus giving yourself "authority". Derp.