The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks at Los Angeles Kings | March 4th, 2017 | 7pm | Sportsnet | The Hockey Goes Hollywood Edition

Cramarossa

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Totally agree.  Hopefully the rest of this season, and going forward is about developing our next core, and not about watching the aging players (Twins, Miller, Eriksson, and Edler) eating up the best minutes.  

Without firing Willie that's exactly what it will be though

12 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Maybe tomorrow.  I'm hearing that Goldobin is as much of a play maker as anything.  He's shifty, draws guys in and is a great passer of the puck.  Similar to Baertschi.

Realisitcally, Willie might start him on the 3rd line.  He's a left shot right wing.  Megna? Sutter Goldobin

Watch him make Megna look awesome.....lol

Megna has played with Crosby Malkin Stepan and the Sedins if they cant make him look awesome there is no way a prospect is going to do that. 

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Markstrom has also played on some terrible Panthers teams. Now he plays  behind a terrible Canucks team which doesn't do his Win % any favours.

EDIT: ^^ Thank you Tas..  I was too lazy to put that much effort into it but it needed to be said. +1

Not saying that Markstrom will pull a Dubnyk but I totally agree.  Markstrom should be given a chance (once he is healthy).  Even if they re-sign Miller, there's no point in riding him.  

Dubnyk was nowhere near being considered a legitimate #1 after his time in Edmonton.  He then bounced around before his meteoric rise in Minnesota.  I remember an interview with him where he really credited the systems in place there as helping his game.  

It remains to be seen if Markstrom can go through a similar trajectory (maybe not into Vezina contention) but I feel Markstrom has actually shown that he has it in him to become a legitimate starter.  While it's not a total excuse for his lacklustre play at times, he has had the challenge of playing infrequently on bad teams with systems that are either not great (or suited to his style) or that have not been well executed (probably the latter).

With the games having no playoff implications to close out this season, I want to see management and the coaching staff loosen up and enter teaching mode - not benching a young player immediately after an error but teaching them and letting them play through it, and that goes for Markstrom too.

http://www.si.com/nhl/2017/02/27/canucks-goalie-jacob-markstrom-knee-injury-superskills

Vancouver Canucks goalie Jacob Markstrom is day-to-day with a knee injury, which usually wouldn’t be news except head coach Willie Desjardins said it appears Markstrom was injured during the team’s SuperSkills fan event on Sunday

Markstrom did not practice on Monday and was spotted wearing a brace on the knee. Richard Bachman was called up to serve as Ryan Miller’s backup for Tuesday’s game against the Red Wings. 

Markstrom took a tumble at the end of the “chariot race” at Sunday’s event but that was not the cause of his injury, TSN’s Blake Price reports.

5 hours ago, Creepy Crawler said:

Goldy seems to have a sniper touch, something we got out of Vrbatta that one year.

Come on, we know the answer to that with Willie behind the bench.

Yup. 4th line, 6 sheltered minutes beside a couple of grinders. When he doesn't produce, we bench him. It's the Willie way.

2 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

Yup. 4th line, 6 sheltered minutes beside a couple of grinders. When he doesn't produce, we bench him. It's the Willie way.

6 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i'ld be careful with goldie, SJ people say he isn't quite ready for the nhl yet. give him slack.

2 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Don't waste time arguing about goaltending. It's the least of our issues. We have won more games than lost due to goaltending 

look no further that the fool behind our bench if you want to look for improvement areas 

You mean Willie and his security blanket(clipboard)?

9 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Current goalies that are active that give you a better chance to win than Markstrom;

Luongo 
Lundquist
Fleury
Miller
Ward
Lehtonen
Rinne
Price
Quick
Anderson
Niemi 
Halak
Crawford
Rask 
Howard
Smith
Mason
Holtby
Elliot
Bobrovsky
Varlamov
Pavelec
Budaj
Bishop
Schneider 
Reimer
Anderson
Bernier
Neuvirth
Talbot

Jones
Griess 
Allen
Gustavsson
Johnson
Montoya
Mrazek 
Gibson
Lehner
Lack
Khudobin
Ranta 
C. Hutton
Kuemper
Condon
Darling
Hutchinson
Hellebucyk

murray
Vaselivski
Nilsson
Hammond
Korpisalo
Zatkoff
Dell
Saros 

Those 56 goalies have a higher career NHL win % than Markstrom. In fact here's the goalies that Markstrom is on par with or arguably better based on their ability to win games throughout their NHL careers;

Enroth
Mchelhinney
Leighton
Peters
Pickard 
Domingue 
Kinkaid
Tokarski

some may not know or may not face reality, but how long do you wait for "potential" until you give up? 30? 33? 35?

He's 27 right now.. a year out of his prime , we've seen the high end of what he can do. He's been given sheltered starts when Miller has been healthy.  

I gave up on him about a month ago after I looked at the numbers and realized there's 30 better options as starter and about 25 better options at backup. He is the best option as a backup  goalie on about 4!teams in the NHL. 4!!!!

Yet some here think he's a top NHL starter???

You can paint stats any way you want to fit your narrative.

The reality is that WD has over played his golden boy Miller because he's a vet. WD never gave Markstrom a legit shot at being the starter and I put that on Benning for having signed him (Miller)

If Benning is smart he will let Miller walk, fire WD and sign an actual backup and let Markstrom find his groove.

Markstrom has shown in the past when given enough games in a row he plays like a starter. Time to face facts, Markstrom is our starter going forward and that's all there is to it.

Archived