The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Don’t Believe Anything Iain MacIntyre Tells You

Rocksterh8

2 hours ago, stawns said:

The rebuild is close to done, now the painful process of growing is going to begin

Not close. We need to see how boeser, juolevi, gaudette do on nhl ice. If one of them busts we're in trouble. 

If they dont. That's fine though. I'm willing to wait another few years

3 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

I think the timing of the article, the same week as another round of layoffs at the Sun/Province got to I-Mac.  It just speaks to the level of writing going on at Canucks Army.  It's really bush league.

MacIntyre takes a different position than much of the other media.  It differentiates him from them.  If everybody wrote from the same point of view then they would all be writing the same sorts of articles.  If you're doing the same as everybody else, then you're more likely to be seen as expendable by the powers that be.  Cudo's to MacIntyre for taking a less popular route.  I appreciate him for trying to take a positive view (and he's far from all positive) because I find myself drawn that way on CDC but it's only in response to so much negativity.  I think it's easier to be negative.  It's hard to understand just what Jim Benning is up to.  Nobody is privy to what goes on behind closed doors.  It's like the proverbial black box.  We can only shake it and try to figure out what's going on inside.

Well said, & ftr, I'd say I Mac is one of the better ones. Find his insights(interviews during intermission) pretty reasonable, as well.

7 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Not close. We need to see how boeser, juolevi, gaudette do on nhl ice. If one of them busts we're in trouble. 

No worries.  If one of them is a bust, it's possible that there will be more gems hiding later in the draft and guys like Stecher to pick up for free out of college.  The talking heads on the broadcast last night seemed to think we were in the running for Aston-Reese.  It would be nice to start replacing Megna and Chaput with guys like that.

The number one faux past that Jackson made was to not contact IMac first for a comment. That's the professionally courteous thing to do and would have made for a better article. Because he didn't is why it reads as a hit piece and I don't blame Iain for getting bent out of shape for it.

Also, the editor of CA should have caught that and required that step first before publishing. 

That's the difference between professionalism and amateur.

Jackson just seems to be doing the whole "want to see more skilled young guys" schtick.

Of course, Boucher got 17+ minutes of ice last game and more PP time than the Sedins.  Again.

Maybe some time and a proper sample size is in order before the knee-jerk "why aren't you playing Goldobin and Boucher" essay?

As for the rest of the season and playing rookies... Hank had an interesting quote on the Provies about wanting to make sure we try to win every game down the stretch... to avoid lackadaisical summers.  I agree with him - both Virtanen, Tryamkin (and Hutton?) came into camp this year not ready to go. Could letting the kids put up points in "garbage time" have an adverse affect?  Not for Bo or Baer it seems, but Hank is highlighting the other edge to that sword.   Sedins and Burr were dead right about Virtanen last year... I'd listen to them this time around.

To borrow an admittedly out-of-context Ferraro quote... "I've never seen a player ruined by being forced to wait too long."  I'm fine with these kids being eased into the limelight.

11 minutes ago, theminister said:

The number one faux past that Jackson made was to not contact IMac first for a comment. That's the professionally courteous thing to do and would have made for a better article. Because he didn't is why it reads as a hit piece and I don't blame Iain for getting bent out of shape for it.

Also, the editor of CA should have caught that and required that step first before publishing. 

Further, in I-Mac's article from this morning, he speaks of how it's easy to be critical with people that you have no relationship with.  You can sit in your mothers basement and quote the stats etc but if you have a relationship with people and rely on face to face interviews, it makes it pretty difficult to be unjustly critical.

http://vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/macintyres-thoughts-cannibal-media-the-analytics-altar-and-a-game-of-poetry

1 hour ago, Honky Cat said:

Until there is a legit elite level first line in place..the rebuild is nowhere near done..IMO...We're starting to accumulate prospects,hopefully some will surprise and overachieve (like Horvat).

I said it was almost done.  They may be able to use Tanev or Edler to get another top 6 fwd, but beyond that, they are more or less out of chips to play.  From here on out it will development from within.  

Many good teams are successful without an elite superstar first line, As there are very few of those types of players.  I expect that will be the case in Vancouver........they are building scoring depth and that is just as effective, imo.

47 minutes ago, DSVII said:

The rebuild is the phase of gathering the pieces together that you think will be successful moving forward.  That part is almost done.  Now those pieces are going to have to grow and develop together before we know how successful the rebuild is.

4 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Once Uncle Wille is fired in 28 days,  10 hours and 42 minutes, the Canucks organization should turn the page and fire all of their scouts who have an almost perfect record of failing us for 45 years, then take the hatchet to the 2 John "Home boys" announcers and then Ian.   Management need to get rid of the "STALE" image of this team and have to start soon before there are few fans left!

I don't like WD as a bench coach, but don't hold your breath that he's getting canned.  I would say it's unlikely.

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:46 AM, tas said:

hint: it's because they are.

iain's alleged arrogance is nothing compared to the hubris of canucks fans thinking they know more than the accredited media when every shred of information they receive to base their beliefs on are provided by those same media members who actually have legitimate access to the team. 

You are agreeing with a sweeping generalization that the fanbase are a bunch of idiots? There are many fans out there who have played hockey themselves and are very well informed and know the game well. Is every shred of information they receive directly sourced by the media alone? They go to games and watch too and can make their own observations and interpretations of what is going on as well. To assume that the opinions of the media and the way they analyze and make judgments on everything regarding the team must be superior is wrong.

1 hour ago, theminister said:

I would say an awful lot here, but I've reached out to Mr McDonald for a quote before I do.

20 minutes ago, theminister said:

I'm not sure I quite understand the meaning of your post.

Well, before I criticise Jackson...

I guess it worked though, people at least know who he is now.

47 minutes ago, Captain Azzy said:

Well, before I criticise Jackson...

I guess it worked though, people at least know who he is now.

It's actually amazing how a blogger (who actually looks like he was born when the Sedins were drafted) can ruffle a few feathers..Goes to show the power of free speech and the internet..This kind of proliferation is likely the cause of massive layoffs in the media.

2 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

7 out of last 8 Stanley Cup Champions were led there (in part) by top 3 picks.  It is nearly impossible to aquire franchise players outside the draft, those players tend to go top 3.  

Not sure why you mock top draft picks.  

This is also a league where you can't let what other teams do dictate how you run your organization otherwise you'll always be a step behind.  Need to have faith in a plan.  Some teams have had success getting a couple of high picks.  I'd argue that none of them purposely tanked.  What if another team tanks harder than you?  Or worse, what if you lose the lottery? 

20 hours ago, DSVII said:

Not to mention we'll still need a number one D-man and a superstar center if we want to have and hopes of contending. Even if all the guys we have reach their potentials, we'll still have these glaring holes in our line-up. 

And before anyone says it, I am aware of how Bo is trending and was always a Bo fan from day one but a good team has him carrying all the offense and a great team is to rely on him for secondary like we did with Kesler. 

20 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Further, in I-Mac's article from this morning, he speaks of how it's easy to be critical with people that you have no relationship with.  You can sit in your mothers basement and quote the stats etc but if you have a relationship with people and rely on face to face interviews, it makes it pretty difficult to be unjustly critical.

http://vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/macintyres-thoughts-cannibal-media-the-analytics-altar-and-a-game-of-poetry

Man, that's a good response from I-Mac. He is a true journalist.

He echoes what I believe Benning said this past summer; that analytics are a useful tool, but used in and of themselves they are useless.

The quantitative vs. qualitative debate has been going on for some time; now it's spread in to sports.

In my mind both are useful; but only using one in isolation makes for bad science and bad analysis.

Archived