The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If we got nolan patrick would the canucks be saved?

teepain

42 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

This thread is dumb.

Unless you're a Crosby/McJesus/Matthews level player (which are normally few and far between), not one person can "save" a franchise.

Getting a player the level of Patrick would sure go a long ways towards completing our rebuild though.

If we draft one of Hischier/Patrick, we will take off the pressure on Horvat with guys like them, Dahlén, Goldobin, Virtanen and others picked up. One player doesn't save a franchise, but it gives the team flexibility. And that saves a franchise 

I dont think they are the saviour. But, saying that they lead us in the right direction. We are going to be picking in the bottom 5 next year as well. I say everything starts clicking by the 2019 season. The one particular thing i like about our culture is the never say die attitude. No matter who we play for the most part we play our asses off every night. Building a hard working culture is very important. 

All you guys putting up future lines forgot about our best prospect (until Barzal).

I have been saying this for some time.  Banning has done a nice job of building the structure for a couple young stars to drop into.  Edmonton year after year just drafted a high skilled centre and threw him into a team with nothing else.  We have a good group of prospect wingers, a solid group of young D-men a great number 2 centre.  We essentially are just missing the two hardest things to get, a number one centre and a power play d-man.  Benning has had terrible luck in the draft lottery and is still waiting for one or both those players to fall to him.  I am a little worried about the size of the forward crew but in todays NHL that isn't as important as a few years ago and the D is looking pretty large.

I have a gut feeling Nolan will be prone to injury an frequently be out of line up for stretches of time.

i would prefer Hirschier or better yet try an pluck anoth PMD with great potential upside.

And no one player Nolan will not save us butmay  even artificially inflate expectations here.

4 hours ago, c00kies said:

Nolan Patrick wouldn't even be our best prospect, and I have his ceiling below Horvat's. Heck, I don't even think NP is the best player in the draft.

Why does this draft have to be so poor?! :(

A better question is why didn't the CANUCKS start this nightmare 2 years ago?   BLAME OWNERSHIP

No, Canucks are tanking 2 years too late.  McDavid is generational and Matthews will be elite.

For what it's worth, Nolan is predicted to be a high end 2nd line C.  Hardly someone that will singlehandedly turn the fortunes of a franchise but I won't be complaining if we get him. 

The draft after this one, there could be a game changer and Vancouver stands as good a chance to get that top pick as they do this one.   

I count 8 pretty darn good Centers in the top 10

If we can't move up to get Hischier, then we take what Benning feels is the best Center available at 4/5/6 or Lottery 2/3

#1 avalanche_logo_lg-e1485834615528.png Nico Hischier

Center Halifax QMJHL 6-0.75 176
#2 arizona_logo_lg-e1486001870418.png Nolan Patrick Center Brandon WHL 6-2 198
#3 download-e1486425181631.jpeg Miro Heiskanen Defence HIFK FHL 6-0 170
#4 new_jersey_logo_lg-e1486001540392.png Cody Glass Center Portland WHL

6-1.75 180
#5 vancouver_logo_lg-e1486001330190.png Casey Mittelstadt Center Eden Prairie USHS - MN 6-0.75 201
#6 dallas_logo_lg-e1486001729153.png Michael Rasmussen Center Tri-City WHL 6-5.75 215
#7 detroit_logo_lg-e1486001699840.png Cale Makar Defence Brooks AJHL 5-11.25 171
#8 winnipeg_logo_lg-e1486001277863.png Elias Petterson Center Timra SWE-2 6-1.25 156
#9 buffalo_logo_lg-e1486001823257.png Gabriel Vilardi Center/Right Wing Windsor OHL 6-3 201
#10 philadelphia_logo_lg-e1486001456565.png Ryan Poehling Center St. Cloud State NCHC 6-1.75 183
#11 carolina_logo_lg-e1486001776334.png Owen Tippett Right Wing Mississauga OHL 6-1.5 202

Don't know enough about either players, and haven't seen either play. I do love the idea of a big, young centre (Patrick) that can score. This is what we need playing in the Pacific. His injury history worries me a little, but hopefully an NHL medical staff can help him become stronger and less prone to injury. Too much potential to pas up. I have heard the name Getzlaf thrown out there when Patrick is brought up. Not sure on the comparable, but if he turned out to be anything close to a Getzlaf, that is probably a win for Vancouver. 

Again, I know almost nothing about Hischier, but he seems to have the offensive skill that we are looking in a future 1-2C to help fill that void that Henrik will leave. Either way, I am excited at the prospect of drafting either player. Hopefully the lotto balls bounce our way for once.

1 minute ago, Mackcanuck said:

I count 8 pretty darn good Centers in the top 10

If we can't move up to get Hischier, then take what Benning feels is the best Center available at 4/5

#1 avalanche_logo_lg-e1485834615528.png Nico Hischier

Center Halifax QMJHL 6-0.75 176
#2 arizona_logo_lg-e1486001870418.png Nolan Patrick Center Brandon WHL 6-2 198
#3 download-e1486425181631.jpeg Miro Heiskanen Defence HIFK FHL 6-0 170
#4 new_jersey_logo_lg-e1486001540392.png Cody Glass Center Portland WHL

6-1.75 180
#5 vancouver_logo_lg-e1486001330190.png Casey Mittelstadt Center Eden Prairie USHS - MN 6-0.75 201
#6 dallas_logo_lg-e1486001729153.png Michael Rasmussen Center Tri-City WHL 6-5.75 215
#7 detroit_logo_lg-e1486001699840.png Cale Makar Defence Brooks AJHL 5-11.25 171
#8 winnipeg_logo_lg-e1486001277863.png Elias Petterson Center Timra SWE-2 6-1.25 156
#9 buffalo_logo_lg-e1486001823257.png Gabriel Vilardi Center/Right Wing Windsor OHL 6-3 201
#10 philadelphia_logo_lg-e1486001456565.png Ryan Poehling Center St. Cloud State NCHC 6-1.75 183
#11 carolina_logo_lg-e1486001776334.png Owen Tippett Right Wing Mississauga OHL 6-1.5 202

Alf predicts Middlestadt will prove better than all other centres in this draft.  

4 hours ago, c00kies said:

Nolan Patrick wouldn't even be our best prospect, and I have his ceiling below Horvat's. Heck, I don't even think NP is the best player in the draft.

Why does this draft have to be so poor?! :(

Not so sure it'a a poor draft. There are fewer guarantees at the top and more question marks for sure. Still gonna be some darn good players come out of this years draft. 

A top centre is a vital piece in the Canucks rebuild.  

Does a top centre change the team on his own?  No.

Unless that player was generational and there aren't many of them.

Let's clear up the term generational.  It means a player like this comes along once, that's 1 time, every 10 years maybe.  And that's league wide.  And further to that, that player will likely change the way the way the game is played.

Naming names, who fit's the most strict criteria?  Orr, Gretzky.  

The next level.  Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby, McDavid*......that's all folks

No Howe, Matthews, Messier, Richard, Bossy......etc these are merely great

*it remains to be seen whether McDavid changes the game

25 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

No, Canucks are tanking 2 years too late.  McDavid is generational and Matthews will be elite.

For what it's worth, Nolan is predicted to be a high end 2nd line C.  Hardly someone that will singlehandedly turn the fortunes of a franchise but I won't be complaining if we get him. 

The draft after this one, there could be a game changer and Vancouver stands as good a chance to get that top pick as they do this one.   

Horvat was being pegged as a 3C early on by a lot of people. Looks like that projection was just a little wrong. I'd take a high end 2C projection at this point. Would give us more weapons down the middle. They're all predictions and guesses at this point. 

5 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think Nolan or Hirschier would save this team. Not because they're elite generational players, but because of what they do to the rest of the core. Hirschier in particular.

Gives us a playmaking center who's decent defensively. That takes so much pressure and line-checking off Horvat, making him a better player, and makes the many wingers we have much better too.

I say we go all out for one of the top-2 centers this year because it's our best chance at a top young center. JB has to try a Reinhart-like move at the Draft to get up to the top-2. With Arizona stacked with young centers, this is literally the perfect opportunity we have.

Hirschier - Horvat - Sutter - Gaunce - Gaudette down the middle is a very good bunch of centers. Dahlen and Goldobin on wings gives us that flexibility of a winger who can take faceoffs too. Baertschi and Granlund give us consistent 20 goal scoring and decent defence. All we need are some gritty powerforwards to round out that unit and that includes Virtanen and maybe a UFA or late round pick.

I agree with this, but I don't know if any team is willing to trade us a #2 oa... every team that is likely to get it needs it too. Unless Colorado is willing to do something like their pick straight up for Tanev I don't see any other trade that Jim could manufacture. 

I'll always love the Canucks no matter what but sigh....it sure does suck to be a Canucks fan sometimes. Watch the Centers of the Canadian hockey media universe score their franchise altering players in Edmonton and Toronto, and then when the Canucks finally have a legit shot at top2 picks, well it's good but not the strongest draft year. 

Oh well still gonna get a top player

Archived