The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Marky out due to food poisoning

Beary Sweet

5 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Next someone is going to get injured eating pancakes.

More manly than getting hurt by a cracker.

4 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

Its bad, but it still doesn't top Sopel's back injury from trying to pick up a cracker. 

First thing that came to mind after reading Mac's post.

4 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

well, i mean, is that really the worst way pull a muscle? 

Coitus is one of the only ways my muscle gets pulled.

4 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Honestly, I call BS.

I haven't got food poisoning once in my life and I've eaten copious amounts of food that anyone else would consider past due. Take a poop and man up Marky.

It may be a BS story, or it may be Norwalk.

I've eaten food past due as well and it has never been that which has poisoned me. Think of what the flu feels like, subtract the immediate general aches and then add butt fountains to the situation. You don't just walk that off. Hydrating is a major issue for professional athletes, and it is literally impossible to do when you're sitting on a toilet all day.

The only BS here is your idea that someone with food borne illness can crap-and-go.

52 minutes ago, lmm said:

You know the old saying, "the straw that broke the camels back"?

Think of the cracker as that straw.

If you have never suffered from that type of injury it might seem that it happened when you went to pick up that cracker. If you have had that injury previously you may get up in the morning knowing that anything could set your back off. The cracker, or more specifically the act of bending to pick it up, is merely the tipping point at which your back twinges. 

That's basically what happened to me about 6 years ago. Years and years of awkward lifting caught up with me when one day I decided to reach for a shoe. The situation mattered not, it was the combination of all previous situations that led to it.

Lucky for me I was assured it was only muscular, but it changed the way I look at stuff like the importance of stretching. Everybody should stretch, even if they haven't thrown their back out. I wish I started in my 20's. I stretched muscles while at the gym, but not core muscles. It may have prevented it from ever being thrown out in the first place.

If you really have food poisoning, you will experience projectile vomiting and be knocked on your butt for 3 or 4 days.  I got some bad oysters over the holidays.  They are having a problem with local oysters lately and suggest that you do not eat them raw or even cooked soft in the middle, the way I had them.  Well done only until further notice.

It is definitely worse that eating expired food, which if it is actually bad, will result in the runs and be over with once it passes through your gut.  Those symptoms last a day max, often less.

2 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

If you really have food poisoning, you will experience projectile vomiting and be knocked on your butt for 3 or 4 days.  I got some bad oysters over the holidays.  They are having a problem with local oysters lately and suggest that you do not eat them raw or even cooked soft in the middle, the way I had them.  Well done only until further notice.

It is definitely worse that eating expired food, which if it is actually bad, will result in the runs and be over with once it passes through your gut.  Those symptoms last a day max, often less.

Mussels did it to me.  Sitting on the crapper while holding a bucket because you don't have time to switch ends isn't something you just shake off.  By the third or fourth hour in the bathroom, walking is pretty difficult and you are unlikely to keep anything you ingest for hydration down long enough to gain any benefit.  It's ridiculous to expect someone to perform athletically at an elite level while they're dealing with this.

4 hours ago, Down by the River said:

I don't know if its the athletes or the team's chef/catering company, but either way, a professional is really screwing up their job.

I would agree there is some professional liability here, however it runs deeper than just food poisoning. I argued for quite a while with the likes of Wild Sean Monahan and Old News who both repeated, "I don't know what more the Canucks could do," when defending JB's handling of Zack Kassian. Maybe Wild Sean and Old couldn't think of an answer but the Canucks are the ones with the responsibility to know how to deal with such problems. They are, after all the team that initiated "Mind Check". I don't want to re-beat that dead horse.

The Canuck injuries and illness' can be broken into 3 catagories.

Unforeseable, forseable and careless.

1. Unforeseable/unpreventable injuries are the ones that happen because a player plays hockey. Take for example the puck to Brandon Sutter's jaw last season. You know injuries like that can happen but you cannot protect a player from it happening.

2. Foreseable injuries are a little trickier, because although they might be expected they are difficult to prevent. Chris Tanev getting pounded into the end boards every game or Derek Dorsett fighting larger men are examples. Foreseable, yes, but this is the way they play and they would not be in the league if they didn't. The Sedin's could be in the same catagory as Tanev, they have taken a pounding, (and created a lot of power plays with their style) but it is showing in their game now.

3. Careless. There is no reason for Markstrom to be injured in a chariot race, no reason for the Canucks to contract the Mumps two years after the first outbreak and no reason for Markstrom to contract food poisoning two weeks after Tanev and Granlund.

Is it Foreseable or Careless that the Canucks are the lightest and the most injured team in the league? That they have no answer to the Shawn Thorntons and Matt Martins of the league? That after half a decade they still get brutalized in California every trip there? That their coach cannot find a use for players like Kassian and Sestito yet they can still find a job in the league protecting star players?

I find it interesting that the Sedins win the Grouse Grind every year and that they are the epitome of fitness on the team, and that every new player is considered "out of shape" and needing time to get in shape before playing even a 4th line shift and yet the Sedins are still the slowest players out there. I wonder what is the metric for fitness on this team, but that would be a whole other rant.

4 hours ago, Squamfan said:

or when salo got bit by a rare poisonous snake in finland. Still remember jim hudgson. "There aren't many poisonous snakes in Finland but salo somehow managed to find one under his deck"

Ahh, poor Salo. How I miss him. :(

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Ahh, poor Salo. How I miss him. :(

maybe the Canucks should start a "Weird Injury Ring of Honor" or better yet a "Sami Salo Award" presented to the player with the oddest injury each year. Presented on April 1, in the morning. 

16 minutes ago, lmm said:

maybe the Canucks should start a "Weird Injury Ring of Honor" or better yet a "Sami Salo Award" presented to the player with the oddest injury each year. Presented on April 1, in the morning. 

Maybe it'd break the injury curse?

3 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think this is going to be a new Mini Series:

Who is poisoning the Vancouver Canucks?

Coming soon to fans near you!

It's clearly Megna. He doesn't want lots of ice time....

"I WANT IT ALL" Jason Megna

Megna Megna Megna

Megna Megna Megna

Megna Megna Megna

Megna Megna Megna

Megna Megna

Megna Megna

Megna Megna

Megna

Miller ( he can backup cuz it starts with a M)

51 minutes ago, Green Building said:

That's basically what happened to me about 6 years ago. Years and years of awkward lifting caught up with me when one day I decided to reach for a shoe. The situation mattered not, it was the combination of all previous situations that led to it.

Lucky for me I was assured it was only muscular, but it changed the way I look at stuff like the importance of stretching. Everybody should stretch, even if they haven't thrown their back out. I wish I started in my 20's. I stretched muscles while at the gym, but not core muscles. It may have prevented it from ever being thrown out in the first place.

I stepped over a toy at the bottom of the stairs then reached into the freezer, caused my first ambulance ride.

But I played sports in my 20s, had the worst back issues in my 30s, started a moving co in my 40s and am now stronger than ever in my 50s. That said I feel I am becoming a heart attack rick now that I am bigger and slower than ever.  When I was in my 30s, having back problems, I used to work on cars a lot. Nothing like leaning over a wet fender in the cold to stiffen up the back. I also suffer from Colitis which affects the surrounding organs. It seemed Colitis sparked the back injury as often as the back ache spurred the Colitis. Once I got the Colitis in check the back cleared up.  Kevin Dineen has Crones which I think of as Colitis' bigger nastier brother. When I found that out it actually helped me make some changes, ie quitting smoking. That was a big one for me. It is not always what you'd think of first that is the root cause.

1 hour ago, Green Building said:

More manly than getting hurt by a cracker.

First thing that came to mind after reading Mac's post.

Coitus is one of the only ways my muscle gets pulled.

It may be a BS story, or it may be Norwalk.

I've eaten food past due as well and it has never been that which has poisoned me. Think of what the flu feels like, subtract the immediate general aches and then add butt fountains to the situation. You don't just walk that off. Hydrating is a major issue for professional athletes, and it is literally impossible to do when you're sitting on a toilet all day.

The only BS here is your idea that someone with food borne illness can crap-and-go.

I was half joking but my point was that it's hard to believe that yet another one of our player has fell victim to food poisoning. These are millionaires with access to the best food money can buy. Not saying that's what they always eat (Wellwood) but I haven't EVER got food poisoning and I'm 32. So 2 of our players getting food poisoning in 2 weeks is pretty hard to believe, especially with the flu that's been going around the room. 

1 hour ago, VIC_CITY said:

I was half joking but my point was that it's hard to believe that yet another one of our player has fell victim to food poisoning. These are millionaires with access to the best food money can buy. Not saying that's what they always eat (Wellwood) but I haven't EVER got food poisoning and I'm 32. So 2 of our players getting food poisoning in 2 weeks is pretty hard to believe, especially with the flu that's been going around the room. 

So you think that they never go to a restaurant?

Archived