The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How many think Brock Boeser looks NHL ready?

*Buzzsaw*

Keep Brock Boeser up for the rest of the Season?  

366 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

he should be there on opening night imo. 

With the rebuild in full swing and icing a younger team mantra. Brock should be a lock!

I agree.  We have to show the young guys that if you perform, there is a chance to make the big team.  Otherwise, we're going to have a lot of disgruntled young talent on our hands and word of such will get around. 

12 minutes ago, CeeBee51 said:

Did he?  I thought he could play up to 10 games without burning a year.

I'm not positive, but I believe that was what was being said at the time by multiple sources.   As mentioned, I think it is because he came from college.

8 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I agree.  We have to show the young guys that if you perform, there is a chance to make the big team.  Otherwise, we're going to have a lot of disgruntled young talent on our hands and word of such will get around. 

I'm not positive, but I believe that was what was being said at the time by multiple sources.   As mentioned, I think it is because he came from college.

Nothing to do with college.  An ELC can only slide at age 18 and 19.  

CBA art 9.1d (i):

In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC with a Club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the first season under that SPC, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for a period of one (1) year, except that this automatic extension will not apply to a Player who is 19 according to Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September 16 and December 31 in the year in which he first signs an SPC. 

38 minutes ago, kloubek said:

43 minutes ago, mll said:

Only teenagers.  As of age 20 - 1 game in any professional league under a NHL contract burns a year.

Thanks. Forgot about the age 20 rule.

1 hour ago, mll said:

Nothing to do with college.  An ELC can only slide at age 18 and 19.  

CBA art 9.1d (i):

In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC with a Club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the first season under that SPC, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for a period of one (1) year, except that this automatic extension will not apply to a Player who is 19 according to Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September 16 and December 31 in the year in which he first signs an SPC. 

Thanks Mll.  Learn something new each day.

4 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

SO ready and I feel like we have to build off this momentum with him.  To treat him as "not ready" will possibly translate to he didn't do enough and can really mess up his mental game and have him overthink it all.  I feel he's proven that he's ready and to deny that just sends all the wrong messages.

Stoked to see where this goes...he looks so natural out there.

Image result for I'm ready sports gif

tenor.gif

I posted this in another thread but it's worth repeating here. Kesler was a very good player for the Canucks. Nobody would say he was rushed into the league. He played a full 82 games with the Canucks for the first time  at age 21. 

Brock will be 21 half way through this year. And Virtanen is 21 now. Ready is as ready does.

Two pre-season games do not make a NHL player. There is no hurry on Boeser other than fans desperate for a savior. The Canuck timeline does not require Boeser to save anything for the next 3 years. Not suggesting he is buried in Utica just that his development can be paced. Measuring Boeser against past players or even players on other teams is a waste of time and irrelevant.

19 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Two pre-season games do not make a NHL player. There is no hurry on Boeser other than fans desperate for a savior. The Canuck timeline does not require Boeser to save anything for the next 3 years. Not suggesting he is buried in Utica just that his development can be paced. Measuring Boeser against past players or even players on other teams is a waste of time and irrelevant.

Having an open mind goes both ways my friend. Let's just wait and see eh. 

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

The thing is, if he's ready then there is no reason capping his growth by placing him in the AHL. He is showing his compete level and skill level are on pace with NHL players and that means growth will come from increasing his level of challenge.

If you play video games, say you beat the game on easy, and then play a few levels on hard and beat them easily. Do you start a new game on medium or do you give it a go on hard mode?

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Instead of thinking of this from OUR (fan) perspective, which has no impact on the decision...how about how HE feels?   After busting his tail, doing a great job and then ... well, no.  Take a number, your time will come?

Trevor was what...18/19?   So why this need TO wait?

28 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Instead of thinking of this from OUR (fan) perspective, which has no impact on the decision...how about how HE feels?   After busting his tail, doing a great job and then ... well, no.  Take a number, your time will come?

Trevor was what...18/19?   So why this need TO wait?

Yeah, honestly I think people have gone to the other extreme when it comes to this obsession on pace of prospect development now. Yes, rushing players is bad, there is no doubt in that. Putting players in a position theyre not ready for can absolutely be detrimental to their development, maybe even ruin it if you force it too much. That being said, I'd argue holding a player back from something hes ready for is just as bad. If Boeser is ready for the NHL now, holding him back because we want to "take it slow/pace his development" is a massive waste. If Boeser is ready, there is no better place to develop than the big show, so lets not waste a year of this kids career and development by holding him back

If hes already NHL ready, forcing him to play in the AHL is more or less worthless. You cant learn how to do grade 11 math by doing grade 10 math ten times over, the same as you cant learn how to be a real NHLer till you are playing in it. Let the kid play. 

1 hour ago, BI3KSA- said:

Yeah, honestly I think people have gone to the other extreme when it comes to this obsession on pace of prospect development now. Yes, rushing players is bad, there is no doubt in that. Putting players in a position theyre not ready for can absolutely be detrimental to their development, maybe even ruin it if you force it too much. That being said, I'd argue holding a player back from something hes ready for is just as bad. If Boeser is ready for the NHL now, holding him back because we want to "take it slow/pace his development" is a massive waste. If Boeser is ready, there is no better place to develop than the big show, so lets not waste a year of this kids career and development by holding him back

If hes already NHL ready, forcing him to play in the AHL is more or less worthless. You cant learn how to do grade 11 math by doing grade 10 math ten times over, the same as you cant learn how to be a real NHLer till you are playing in it. Let the kid play. 

Well said.  If hes near or at the lead in goals scored in the league and they keep him down it will be a waste.  You can always send him down if some part of his game needs work but if he's scoring let him play.  Bures plus minus was never his strong suit, but his timely goals won more games for us than his defensive draw backs.

Archived