The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Willie Desjardins

-Vintage Canuck-

27 minutes ago, nux_win said:

With or without your "very legit reasons" I can't see how you can deny the mob mentality among Canucks fans (and humans in general).  It might be that the mob is correct (perhaps sometimes they are) but denying that the mob exists is unbelievable!  GCG!

Mob pays the bills.

55 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

For all the people calling for Green, if you were a Willie-hater you're likely in for a big surprise -- by all accounts, they are very similar in their methods and deployments.  @UticaHockey can confirm.

Travis Green is very similar to Willie in his use of kids with reduced playing time and a demand for being defensively responsible before he trusts a kid with more responsibility.  The guys that he trusts the most in Utica tend to be AHL vets, many on AHL contracts, rather than Vancouver prospects on NHL deals.  The guys on AHL contracts such as Darren Archibald, Wacey Hamilton, Carter Bancks, Colby Robak etc give Green the best chance of winning and are the players he trusts the most when there is a critical spot in the game.  Players like Jordan Subban are never on the PK and often see little ice late in a close game.

Sound familiar?

1 minute ago, CeeBee51 said:

I guess we'll never know how much ownership influenced the first couple of years trying to stay competitive but regardless, it's way too early to judge JB's drafting. Most of them are still in junior or college.  even 5 years won't be fair but will probably be all the time he gets unless we start climbing the standings soon.

I think it's fair to say his high 1st Round Picks have not been anywhere near as ready as others picked around them. Add in not letting this team organically fall in the standings when generational talents were available will underscore his tenure as GM if he can't hit a home run in the next two drafts.

3 minutes ago, chickenman92 said:

if Sutter was to become available...would yah???

Yes.

but I like gallant.

i want a coach who had an NHL career that involved playing with an edge.

im not interested in how this team has carried itself for the last decade.

Just now, UticaHockey said:

Travis Green is very similar to Willie in his use of kids with reduced playing time and a demand for being defensively responsible before he trusts a kid with more responsibility.  The guys that he trusts the most in Utica tend to be AHL vets, many on AHL contracts, rather than Vancouver prospects on NHL deals.  The guys on AHL contracts such as Darren Archibald, Wacey Hamilton, Carter Bancks, Colby Robak etc give Green the best chance of winning and are the players he trusts the most when there is a critical spot in the game.  Players like Jordan Subban are never on the PK and often see little ice late in a close game.

Sound familiar?

The number one reason he is a bad choice right now. If we lose him to an NHL team, so be it. Let him learn on the job somewhere else or come to Van as an assistant coach. Head coach, no way.

And here I play the odd man out

I was hoping he'd get 20 games next season or possibly until Christmas before being let go.

This is/was the worst possible year to finish last with such a questionable draft, having him here would have possibly solidified a better draft position.

Now we run the risk of bringing in a guy who the players will die for and possibly barely missing the playoffs in a much stronger draft like we did with Willie's first year.

This team needs help in ways coaching cannot cure.  At days end with this roster Babcock assisting the Great Bowman wouldn't get this team to the playoffs, it's on Willie as the coach but I was still hoping we'd let him work his "magic" in to mid season to ensure Dahlin/Dahlen (whatever) Svechnikoff etc had a chance at donning the Orca for life.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We might never know just how much Aqualini pushed (first Gillis with the Tort's hire) JB into the retool instead of a proper rebuild.  

honestly Alf I think you give Aquaman way too much credit for involvement. I really doubt he's that deeply involved, and hiring Linden to me anyway proves he wants to be hands off.

Just now, Warhippy said:

And here I play the odd man out

I was hoping he'd get 20 games next season or possibly until Christmas before being let go.

This is/was the worst possible year to finish last with such a questionable draft, having him here would have possibly solidified a better draft position.

Now we run the risk of bringing in a guy who the players will die for and possibly barely missing the playoffs in a much stronger draft like we did with Willie's first year.

This team needs help in ways coaching cannot cure.  At days end with this roster Babcock assisting the Great Bowman wouldn't get this team to the playoffs, it's on Willie as the coach but I was still hoping we'd let him work his "magic" in to mid season to ensure Dahlin/Dahlen (whatever) Svechnikoff etc had a chance at donning the Orca for life.

I understand this, but changing coaches mid-season is fine for a contender, but not for a developing core. The risk to screwing up the development of guys like Boeser or Goldy isn't worth it.

Don Acquilini has always fired either GMs or coaches for not making the playoffs for 2 consecutive years.

His meddling will lead be questioned.

Also fair to question Linden as President a veteran voice like a Mike Futa could help Benning.

I really think Linden might end up resigning eventually in a couple of years as patience wears thin from Acquilini.

9 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I am probably more happy Pearn is gone. What did the guy even do for his time here running the pp? It's like he was hoping it would improve if he was hands off.

He did organize those trust exercises, so I guess that's something....

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

I understand this, but changing coaches mid-season is fine for a contender, but not for a developing core. The risk to screwing up the development of guys like Boeser or Goldy isn't worth it.

I was hoping WD would have been gone around the 20 game mark this year. We could have giving green the interim role. It would have solved a lot of questions for us on which direction to go heading into this season. 

2 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

In all honestly, 20 games under Willie D next season would be the bad part, a new coach for them mid season would be like a breath of fresh air for the kids and possibly help

Archived