The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Willie Desjardins

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

Oh thats too bad. Lidster did a great job with Tryamkin. My seats last year were right over top of the bench and I could see Doug talking to Nikita after every single shift and you could see the improvement in him almost game to game.

Linden gave Lidster the walking papers? Wow...

I bet he didn't like doing that...

Just now, StealthNuck said:

I think a lot of people are totally ok with a rebuild. We just want to see some sort of plan and a consistent sense of direction. The communication from staff and management has been a mess and with all the mixed messages and odd moves nobody really knows what's happening. It's the sense of waffling that irks people. 

Give us a clear path and we'll be all in. 

Not really disagreeing with you, just saying if it wasn't "Canucks all the time" we wouldn't be so focused on the them.....but that is the one thing I love about our fans...right or wrong, agree or disagree, we are hockey mad and super passionate.

1 minute ago, CanuckGAME said:

You're clueless.  Hitchcock has a mile long track record of screwing up developing young players.  Ask Nikita Filatov.  He's a great coach.  I just don't want him coaching this club.  His style of hockey is boring as ****.

He has done alot of good for some young guys, but he's also ruined others.

Lol you have no idea what you are talking about. For the record i don't want Hitch either. 

7 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

I think this quick decision to fire WD was more about sending a message to the young players (Virtanen, Goldobin, Boucher, Horvat, Boeser, etc) that management recognizes WD was not the best fit, that they are the future of the team and will look for a coach that recognizes and will play the young players.

Now, some of those players I mentioned didn't have problems with ice time near the end of the season, but it was a monumental struggle to get that ice time which it really shouldn't be.

It was less to do with protecting WD and more about protecting the brand image.

by most accounts, players like him and played hard for him.

this is just marketing move to change the negative commentaries on the team by the media and fans. Changing the lipstick on a pig.  the roster is still garbage. But they need to bring in new blood in the off season, and develop the young guys like WD already did with baer, Stech, tram, Bo, granny.  maybe a new health advisor too, no more mumps and food poisoning, flu. 

2 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Oh thats too bad. Lidster did a great job with Tryamkin. My seats last year were right over top of the bench and I could see Doug talking to Nikita after every single shift and you could see the improvement in him almost game to game.

I thought Lidster did a great job too. Hutton, Tryamkin, Stecher, Sbisa all played well and took steps in their games.

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

because its a contract for "x" number of years for "$X" cash. They still have to pay you whatever your negotiated in the management contract.

They should make him clean garbage cans then for a year.Nonsense that he gets the money and freedom,he's not being bought out.

He wrote his own destiny IMO.....too stubborn and made some very odd/bad decisions re: his deployment.

Riding Miller when he knew Miller is better when rested (This may help bring Miller back for a year or two, which I am in favour of).

Do people not remember year 1 of Willie in the playoffs?   Majorly out-coached.

So what if he's a "nice" guy and you met him at Starbucks blah blah blah lol  he's not a good coach IMO.

Just now, KelownaCanucksFan said:

Jarvis was forced on Willie this year, he's one of the most respected assistant coaches in the league. I think they are going to go with Green or Crow. 

I really don't want to see Green get the reigns just yet. 

If he has an issue with being an assistant coach in the NHL and would rather jump ship to land a head coaching gig then screw him.

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The new coach will have to improve on what Willie did, which was not all bad. He brought along a lot of younger players, and got them playing the right way. It's only likely if the team, especially the young guys, don't take the next step, which I think they will. A lot of those guys will shoulder Willie's firing on themselves which will ignite a certain amount of ownership over the situation.

Next years focus needs to be purely on the youth, getting them accustomed to being the guys counted on to winning games for this team. 

27 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Reality is -- this fan base CANNOT HANDLE A REBUILD.  They expect immediate results and when they aren't there they immediately look for scapegoats.  Even game to game.

We've missed the playoffs two straight seasons and three of the last four.  Just imagine if we were Edmonton, 10 straight?  Think this place is unbearable now... then again, that much failure might whinge-exhaust the complainers and clear the place out.

I think to really be objective this post needs to include the results of our post season record since 2011.

1 minute ago, StealthNuck said:

I think a lot of people are totally ok with a rebuild. We just want to see some sort of plan and a consistent sense of direction. The communication from staff and management has been a mess and with all the mixed messages and odd moves nobody really knows what's happening. It's the sense of waffling that irks people. 

Give us a clear path and we'll be all in. 

They're okay with the idea of a rebuild, they are simply unprepared to handle a rebuild.  Zero patience.  At least, not the most vocal and reactionary ones, who demand changes every time the team loses one or two games.

As for knowing what's happening, the plan has been very clear from day one and is continuing unchanged.  Next year will be the last of the transition phase, then the rebuild will be essentially complete, just requiring the continued development and improvement of the young players.

17 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

No, there are some very legit reasons for this move sans mob.

With or without your "very legit reasons" I can't see how you can deny the mob mentality among Canucks fans (and humans in general).  It might be that the mob is correct (perhaps sometimes they are) but denying that the mob exists is unbelievable!  GCG!

2 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

I think they should have kept him. He was good with the young guys. I guess management didn't like that 8 game losing streak at the end of the season.

if the new coach can't turn it around, then linden is out of moves. He or JB will be fired next. Should have waited for the season to start. Perhaps they lack season ticket renewals, and needed a change. 

Archived