The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Willie Desjardins

-Vintage Canuck-

Wasn't that difficult of a decision, obviously.  Couldn't wait to get him out, judging on how quickly this occurred after the season ended.

I liked WD.  But in his inexperience, I think he made some poor decisions (line combos in particular) and was too stubborn to change his ways.  I don't necessarily think he is a "bad" coach - I think he still had the room engaged and the team generally worked hard under him - but a change to a different style may work well for us... especially with the likelihood of some very decent names being available.

6 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Then again, Jimbo will have more fun running the lotto simulator all week this year.

Depressing alright, but there was no real start of the rebuild until at least the 2013 trade, and then it was only a single move really.  If reports are correct, Gillis tried to get it going by then but was rebuffed.  Plus they did get another 100-point season in 2015 albeit with disappointing results again.  In reality this has really just been the second year of the actual tear-down/transition rebuild.

Fair enough.

all I'm saying is it's fairly understandable why fans are unhappy/impatient.  Especially seasons ticket holders.  I think it's too easy for some around here to dismissively state: fans are clueless and can't handle a rebuild.  

If you add up the results and some of the inter player dramas, coaching hires, key draft development etc, signings, it allows room for some discontent imo.

2 minutes ago, Pete M said:

JB should be next...I don't think anyone could have gotten this bad of a result in the last two years. Plus, this team is far from getting better with no first line and plugs in the bottom 6.

Even with Boeser in the line up, the Canucks will find it hard to score goals and compete for a playoff spot. The "D" is  a work in progress...they need to start producing offensively and get better defensively and better moving the puck forward. The forward group is small, lack grit and play mostly on the perimeter...they do have some skill but are few years away from realising if that skill can translate to the NHL level....sad stat of affairs if a person is honest about the situation.

Would you be saying the same if the Canucks won the draft lottery in the last two years? A Laine, Matthews, McDavid would look nice. That didn't happen. Banning is making the right choices and is heading in the right direction. Can't push the eject button half way through. "It's a process"

1 minute ago, Pete M said:

JB should be next...I don't think anyone could have gotten this bad of a result in the last two years. Plus, this team is far from getting better with no first line and plugs in the bottom 6.

Even with Boeser in the line up, the Canucks will find it hard to score goals and compete for a playoff spot. The "D" is  a work in progress...they need to start producing offensively and get better defensively and better moving the puck forward. The forward group is small, lack grit and play mostly on the perimeter...they do have some skill but are few years away from realising if that skill can translate to the NHL level....sad stat of affairs if a person is honest about the situation.

He will be next year if the light at the end of the tunnel does not get any brighter after next season.

my picks in order for coaches;

Gallant

Ruff

Green

Crow if no other viable candidates or takers , hopefully it does not come to that 

1 minute ago, Fakename70 said:

But, what would it say about this organisation if it tried to turn back the clock in order to find it? There's gotta be a top NHL assistant out there suitable for the job rather than going the retread route. I sure as hell hope there is. 

Retread?  Practically all the coaches out there with NHL experience are retreads...unless you want a rookie coach again.....plus some of this organizations best years were with Crawford behind the bench. I see no shame in bringing him back.

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

For sure. Just saying for every argument stating his case as a coach that can generate offense there's an argument against him. He might be laviolette 2.0.

I think people need to be careful what they wish for. Both him and WD coached what they had, and make players earn their spots. That's not to say either of them couldn't coach offensive players but even as of next year, we won't be overflowing with them yet.

We're still rebuilding and acquiring/developing those guys. We're a couple years off from them making meaningful impacts.

Just now, CeeBee51 said:

and next year probably won't be much better. People here have no stomach for a real rebuild.

I don't get why people keep saying this. The ones who don't have the stomach for a rebuild - at least a proper one - have been management and ownership.

What people don't have a stomach for is wasting opportunities to get the kids meaningful experience in mean nothing games in order to play AHL plugs and declining vets as go to guys.

The Canucks wanted Desjardins for 3 years,. Desjardins wanted a 4 year contract.

This year, his 3rd, was his year of reckoning, regardless of the length of contract he got.

Our youth will develop better under some one else who uses his players to progress them in situational play, versus useing them to replace injured roster spots, and grinding them into a 200' game program.

Im hoping that Travis Green gets this opportunity in this franchise, he has a repore with players and management, his assessments of players are positive, and attention is made of a weakness where necessary, with opportunity to work on a weakness to make a player more complete.

A Travis Green (Head)/ Gerard Gallant (assistant) combo could be a powerful tandem.

my fingers are crossed.

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

I don't get why people keep saying this. The ones who don't have the stomach for a rebuild - at least a proper one - have been management and ownership.

What people don't have a stomach for is wasting opportunities to get the kids meaningful experience in mean nothing games in order to play AHL plugs and declining vets as go to guys.

but why then all the whinging wanting JB and Trevor fired as well?  Do we want the Edmonton model of rebuild on rebuild on rebuild?

3 minutes ago, appleboy said:

New coach will want his own staff. He gets to come in and have a clean slate.

Experienced coaches get to choose.  Rookies not so much.  Could this firing of the assistant be foreshadowing an experienced coach coming here?

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

The Canucks wanted Desjardins for 3 years,. Desjardins wanted a 4 year contract.

This year, his 3rd, was his year of reckoning, regardless of the length of contract he got.

Our youth will develop better under some one else who uses his players to progress them in situational play, versus useing them to replace injured roster spots, and grinding them into a 200' game program.

Im hoping that Travis Green gets this opportunity in this franchise, he has a repore with players and management, his assessments of players are positive, and attention is made of a weakness where necessary, with opportunity to work on a weakness to make a player more complete.

A Travis Green (Head)/ Gerard Gallant (assistant) combo could be a powerful tandem.

my fingers are crossed.

It's rapport, bro. 

I think firing Willie isn't the best move we could've made.

Hopefully we get a good, young replacement who can help guys like Virtanen find their game. 

8 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

There are always a few people like that, but I think a lot of the impatience came from the odd deployments and a favoring of one-year plugs over youth players who may actually be part of the team in the future. The process is important. 

More evidence are the calls now for Hitchcock to coach.  What does that translate to?  "Win now", in other words, screw the rebuild and developing of the kids for immediate satisfaction instead.

Again, no patience for a rebuild with some/many -- hard to tell the numbers, since they are the ones who typically squawk loudest and most often.

I feel bad for Doug Lidster.  Not only he is one of the greatest Canuck defencemen of all time, but young D's developed from "not even on the radar" to "best on the team" / world championships candidates while he was coaching the blueline: Hutton, Tryamkin, Stecher...

I wouldn't mind seeing Lidster in the ROH.  He still holds the record for points by a Canuck D in one season, as well as being a former captain and one of the bright spots in the lineup during a stretch of Canucks losing years.

Just now, CeeBee51 said:

but why then all the whinging wanting JB and Trevor fired as well?  Do we want the Edmonton model of rebuild on rebuild on rebuild?

I wasn't saying I want Benning or Linden fired. Benning largely wasted his first few years here trying to put a band aid on a broken leg but seems to get it now. He needs to get an NHL ready player with that high pick though. He has bombed with his early picks so far.

1 minute ago, CeeBee51 said:

We might need to do the Edmonton rebuild...rebuild...rebuild in order to get us a McDavid or close to it kind of player?  It took us 30 years to get the Twins.

Archived