The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Willie Desjardins

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Darius71 said:

Retread?  Practically all the coaches out there with NHL experience are retreads...unless you want a rookie coach again.....plus some of this organizations best years were with Crawford behind the bench. I see no shame in bringing him back.

Crawford and Ruff are retreads. Sorry. Time to poach an experienced top assistant to lead this franchise going forward. Someone with some ideas of their own, but, who wouldn't be opposed to also having a proven veteran on-staff to lean on. 

Just now, Kevin Biestra said:

I feel bad for Doug Lidster.  Not only he is one of the greatest Canuck defencemen of all time, but young D's developed from "not even on the radar" to "best on the team" / world championships candidates while he was coaching the blueline: Hutton, Tryamkin, Stecher...

I wouldn't mind seeing Lidster in the ROH.  He still holds the record for points by a Canuck D in one season, as well as being a former captain and one of the bright spots in the lineup during a stretch of Canucks losing years.

I can see where you're coming from, but this team has been giving up 40+ shots a game for a while now. Obviously there's an issue there..

Also, any new coach coming in will want to choose their assistants.

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

More evidence are the calls now for Hitchcock to coach.  What does that translate to?  "Win now", in other words, screw the rebuild and developing of the kids for immediate satisfaction instead.

Again, no patience for a rebuild with some/many -- hard to tell the numbers, since they are the ones who typically squawk loudest and most often.

I agree with you on that at least, 1040 is driving me crazy right now with the Hitchcock love. 

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

More evidence are the calls now for Hitchcock to coach.  What does that translate to?  "Win now", in other words, screw the rebuild and developing of the kids for immediate satisfaction instead.

Again, no patience for a rebuild with some/many -- hard to tell the numbers, since they are the ones who typically squawk loudest and most often.

Hitchcock (or Ruff or Crawford, etc) would likely be a good short term solution but I agree that we need a long term fit at head coach. I think that man is Gerard Gallant. 

7 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Memo:

We're rebuilding.

With JB at the helm...three years from now you will be saying the same thing.

Get someone in who knows how to build a competitive NHL team...JB has not demonstrated this at all.

Just now, StealthNuck said:

I agree with you on that at least, 1040 is driving me crazy right now with the Hitchcock love. 

Hitch did develop some very good players back in his Kamloops days.  Maybe bring him in as an adviser, if Green is hired as the head guy?

1 minute ago, StealthNuck said:

can't wait for the new sports radio station  next season. I want that station to be fired. 

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I wasn't saying I want Benning or Linden fired. Benning largely wasted his first few years here trying to put a band aid on a broken leg but seems to get it now. He needs to get an NHL ready player with that high pick though. He has bombed with his early picks so far.

I guess we'll never know how much ownership influenced the first couple of years trying to stay competitive but regardless, it's way too early to judge JB's drafting. Most of them are still in junior or college.  even 5 years won't be fair but will probably be all the time he gets unless we start climbing the standings soon.

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I am probably more happy Pearn is gone. What did the guy even do for his time here running the pp? It's like he was hoping it would improve if he was hands off.

one of the dreadful pp in a while. 

5 minutes ago, Fakename70 said:

Crawford and Ruff are retreads. Sorry. Time to poach an experienced top assistant to lead this franchise going forward. Someone with some ideas of their own, but, who wouldn't be opposed to also having a proven veteran on-staff to lean on. 

You mean someone like Willie??

Just now, CeeBee51 said:

I guess we'll never know how much ownership influenced the first couple of years trying to stay competitive but regardless, it's way too early to judge JB's drafting. Most of them are still in junior or college.  even 5 years won't be fair but will probably be all the time he gets unless we start climbing the standings soon.

We might never know just how much Aqualini pushed (first Gillis with the Tort's hire) JB into the retool instead of a proper rebuild.  

Archived