The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Willie Desjardins

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, SILLY GOOSE said:

Im sad Lidster is gone.  Ex Canuck and a great player.  

Pearn? I understand. He was the PP coach, and did an abysmal job.

Lidster? I don't see how firing him makes sense. I hope the defense doesn't take a step back now, without his guidance.

1 minute ago, brownky said:

I wanted Lindy Ruff the first time he was available, when we picked up Desjardins.

Has a Miller connection too.

If he gets picked up, the Canucks will do significantly better next year, he's an *extremely* talented coach. The magic he worked with Dallas despite having *zero* defence and goaltending (Dan Hamhuis is their #2/#3 defenceman. And Kari Lehtonein? yeeeesh. Their roster is worse than ours except for Seguin and Benn.)

I'd bake a cake with Lindy Ruff's face as the icing if he's our coach next. And I'm serious.

A little short-sighted? 

Lets hire a coach because our 36 year old goalie has history with him. 

Dont really see what Ruff would contribute to this team in the long-term. The choice should be made in respect to having some stability in the next few years at the head coach position for our youngsters to get some consistency around them. Not sure Ruff is the answer to that if I'm honest. More of a contender type coach in my mind. Stars were pencilled in by nearly everyone to make the playoffs. A lot of their short comings was down to Ruff. 

Gerard Gallant should be our guy. 

Crow is is also in my mind some posters getting their nostalgia goggles on. No thanks. 

2 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

There are always a few people like that, but I think a lot of the impatience came from the odd deployments and a favoring of one-year plugs over youth players who may actually be part of the team in the future. The process is important. 

Amen.  I think there were more people feed up with WD than there were that really cared about the results of this year.

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Lidster? I don't see how firing him makes sense. I hope the defense doesn't take a step back now, without his guidance.

He was Willie's right hand.  There's no way he is going to stick around if Willie gets fired.

52 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

They definitely did, as when a GM and president fire a coach, the crosshairs move to them next.

JB should be next...I don't think anyone could have gotten this bad of a result in the last two years. Plus, this team is far from getting better with no first line and plugs in the bottom 6.

Even with Boeser in the line up, the Canucks will find it hard to score goals and compete for a playoff spot. The "D" is  a work in progress...they need to start producing offensively and get better defensively and better moving the puck forward. The forward group is small, lack grit and play mostly on the perimeter...they do have some skill but are few years away from realising if that skill can translate to the NHL level....sad stat of affairs if a person is honest about the situation.

19 minutes ago, J.R. said:

To be fair, he hasn't had much real offensive talent to work with. Particularly of the primary/creating variety. 

For sure. Just saying for every argument stating his case as a coach that can generate offense there's an argument against him. He might be laviolette 2.0.

Wrong guy is taking all the blame here. 

First and foremost, Jimbo / Trevor should have pulled the trigger way earlier on in the season. 

I would have much preferred to see Jimbo get fired first and then have the new GM make the decision on the coach. Willie's a good guy... but likely not the fit for our team.

2 minutes ago, CeeBee51 said:

And by next year this time it will be fire the coach again.

yup

I can't see which coach would have taken this team to 75 points, with that roster, all that injuries, flu, mumps, food poisoning, most man lost games in the NHL. 

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

New coach will want his own staff. He gets to come in and have a clean slate.

2 minutes ago, Pete M said:

JB should be next...I don't think anyone could have gotten this bad of a result in the last two years. Plus, this team is far from getting better with no first line and plugs in the bottom 6.

Even with Boeser in the line up, the Canucks will find it hard to score goals and compete for a playoff spot. The "D" is  a work in progress...they need to start producing offensively and get better defensively and better moving the puck forward. The forward group is small, lack grit and play mostly on the perimeter...they do have some skill but are few years away from realising if that skill can translate to the NHL level....sad stat of affairs if a person is honest about the situation.

Memo:

We're rebuilding.

12 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

This team needs someone with emotion, someone with some presence in the room...

the-national-hockey-leagues-vancouver-ca

But, what would it say about this organisation if it tried to turn back the clock in order to find it? There's gotta be a top NHL assistant out there suitable for the job rather than going the retread route. I sure as hell hope there is. 

Just now, Jaimito said:

yup

I can't see which coach would have taken this team to 75 points, with that roster, all that injuries, flu, mumps, food poisoning, most man lost games in the NHL. 

and next year probably won't be much better. People here have no stomach for a real rebuild.

Archived