The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Willie Desjardins

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Me_ said:

B!tch slapped out of a Cup in fact.

I want more '94 finals team and less '11 finals team.

The '94 team left it all on the ice and battled for everything they got. I was proud of them despite the disappointment. The '11 team I was actually embarrassed more than disappointed.

1 minute ago, Mad_Duck said:

Hopefully management are smart enough to realize that 1040 are the crazy dumped ex-gf that just wants them to fail. 

If they don't their decisions will be made by via emotions rather than rational thought.

Just now, Where'd Luongo? said:

He was injured for those seasons. This is his first actual season.

He was injured in the second half of season one that continued for much of the first half of season two.  He did get called up late last year after being bypassed by close to 8 ECHL vets on PTOs when the Comets were short on players.  Same story with McEneny who was sent down after the first week of the season last year and spent the entire season in the ECHL without ever being called back up to the Comets while we added ECHL PTOs left and right.  Now Evan is one of the better defensive prospects on a NHL contract not currently in juniors.  

10 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

In all honestly, 20 games under Willie D next season would be the bad part, a new coach for them mid season would be like a breath of fresh air for the kids and possibly help

I could be over-blowing things (that would be a 1st eh :lol:) but I think it would be better to establish a new culture from the start, get the yutes to know their jobs and expectations of them during camp. Its going to be a struggle for the playoffs no matter what, and the lotto ensures disappointment anyway.

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

meh. There are many good reasons to move on from Willie that have nothing to do with "the mob", this can't be distilled down to just that. Willie had a brutal playoff showing; he has 2 losing seasons in a row; his deployment was often very questionable; management didn't have confidence in him going forward.

Go ahead and blame the "mob" if you want to but that's somewhere around reason #9.

I'm most interested to see who they replace him with. 

WD was by no means perfect but he was developing kids well and getting full effort most nights. His replacement needs to do that AND improve upon his his weakness in strategy.

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The '94 team left it all on the ice and battled for everything they got. I was proud of them despite the disappointment. The '11 team I was actually embarrassed more than disappointed.

I agree amigo....i think to finally turn the page and put the bitchslapped turn the other cheek culture behind us the two current leaders of the team need to move on...love those guys, but its time for a fresh chapter.

3 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

That's not fair.  Blame him when a player doesn't do anything, and when they do, he doesn't get any credit.  The truth is some players are more nhl ready than others, and WD knew that and played them accordingly.    

You give him more credit than is due Willie has been fired .Insubordinate till the end . Jim had to instruct him via media to play young prospects.

I think Willie could have been given another year as the Sedins an Edler still on the books .

13 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Don Acquilini has always fired either GMs or coaches for not making the playoffs for 2 consecutive years.

His meddling will lead be questioned.

Also fair to question Linden as President a veteran voice like a Mike Futa could help Benning.

I really think Linden might end up resigning eventually in a couple of years as patience wears thin from Acquilini.

Why does everyone depict Aqualini as this elaborate mastermind, puppeteer, who sits in his deep sea layer and meddles with Bennings vision? Let's take a step back and remember he's not the illuminati he's a business man who knows the what the f#%^ he's doing. Let's not give him so much credit for all of CDC crack pot conspiracy theories. 

30 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

It's rapport, bro. 

I think firing Willie isn't the best move we could've made.

Hopefully we get a good, young replacement who can help guys like Virtanen find their game. 

Thanks teach ;)

I think firing WD is exactly what this team needed to move ahead and build from.

His tactics were not beneficial.

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Good thing we've got the heart and soul of that team as Pres. (Not to mention the AGM from the team that kicked our arses and rubbed our faces in it from 11).

Such a stupid decision, the coaching carousel keeps spinning.

How many more are we going to go through before they realize coaching isn't the problem?

He will now probably do the same as AV and Torts and be successful with another team while the Canucks stay in the basement

4 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

That's not fair.  Blame him when a player doesn't do anything, and when they do, he doesn't get any credit.  The truth is some players are more nhl ready than others, and WD knew that and played them accordingly.    

You are giving WD credit for Boeser's skill.  Giving Willie credit for giving Boeser ice time is ridiculous.  

Willie constantly gave players ice time that weren't NHL material, he certainly did not know how to deploy players accordingly.

Just now, J.R. said:

WD was by no means perfect but he was developing kids well and getting full effort most nights. His replacement needs to do that AND improve upon his his weakness in strategy.

Bingo, exactly.

I don't need Bowman, but ffs Larsen as a F? Its like he was asking to be canned.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

and he must read cdc so he'll know how he is to coach. 

1 minute ago, UticaHockey said:

He was injured in the second half of season one that continued for much of the first half of season two.  He did get called up late last year after being bypassed by close to 8 ECHL vets on PTOs when the Comets were short on players.  Same story with McEneny who was sent down after the first week of the season last year and spent the entire season in the ECHL without ever being called back up to the Comets while we added ECHL PTOs left and right.  Now Evan is one of the better defensive prospects on a NHL contract not currently in juniors.  

I'm confused about what you are trying to say to me. This being Valk's first real full season of hockey, he made the Comets and quickly moved up to the first line where he stayed. In prior years, he hadn't proved himself and was injured the whole time with exception you 1/3 of a season in his first and third years. In my opinion, if you are good, Green will let you flourish and give you more responsibility.

Archived