The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks could trade up according to Darren Dreger

ynwa

I would rather trade Tanev for a mid  and second round pick. If it takes more  than Tanev and say Subban to acquire a top two pick then I would pass. I would rather them try to land more picks not less.

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

That would be an apt reversal of the Hall for Larsson deal.

I think people are over valuing the top two picks this year. Tanev for one of the top two picks makes sense. I hope it is not for an often injured player. Hischier or no deal.

I'd do Tanev plus our second for one of the top 2.  Patrick and Liljegren would be a nice take.  No idea if that gets it done though.

I also may have some tunnel vision due to recent success from big Canadian centres and smooth Swedish offensive defensemen these playoffs.

Just now, appleboy said:

I think people are over valuing the top two picks this year. Tanev for one of the top two picks makes sense. I hope it is not for an often injured player. Hischier or no deal.

I think people are undervaluing the top 2 picks this year - and the top 10 in general - actually, the entire draft as a whole.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

I think people are undervaluing the top 2 picks this year - and the top 10 in general - actually, the entire draft as a whole.

I also think that this draft is better then first thought.  There is about 20 players or so who have top end potential. What I am saying is that the top two are not that much better. Certainly not worth giving up a ton of assets for. I would rather acquire another pick or two. There is going to be some reel gems come out of the mid round and into the second.

Tanev for a mid round first and a second and keep our 5th.

There is some small skilled centers who could be a steal.

20 minutes ago, oldnews said:

This. The only difference between this year and years past is there's no clear cut superstars. But just like every other year, there will be plenty of stars in the making. Who those players are though remains to be seen.

And to those suggesting Tanev and a 2nd for the 1st overall pick, not in a million years! That would probably get you something in the 8-12 range. 

24 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I also think that this draft is better then first thought.  There is about 20 players or so who have top end potential. What I am saying is that the top two are not that much better. Certainly not worth giving up a ton of assets for. I would rather acquire another pick or two. There is going to be some reel gems come out of the mid round and into the second.

Tanev for a mid round first and a second and keep our 5th.

There is some small skilled centers who could be a steal.

I agree.  I would not be trading up unless the price is quite moderate.

I'd prefer to move  Edler in a deal for a pick if possible or simply stand pat.

Aside from that I'd be offering the 5th overall and perhaps our CBJ pick to Phoenix for the 7th and 27th....

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I agree.  I would not be trading up unless the price is quite moderate.

I'd prefer to move someone Edler in a deal for a pick or simply stand pat.

Aside from that I'd be offering the 5th overall and perhaps our CBJ pick to Phoenix for the 7th and 27th....

Assuming he'd waive, Edler to Dallas for their 2018 first round pick and Lehtonen? I would. Lehtonen has a complicated MNTC though. 

New Jersey could really use a future center so probably won't want to trade. Philadelphia could use a plan to replace Giroux eventually and Konecny probably isn't skilled enough so honestly to pry one of the top-2 picks would take a serious effort.

I'd be thinking 1st rounder + 2nd rounder + Gaudette for NJD, or for Philadelphia (who are closer to the playoffs right now and could almost be considered buyers), a 1st + Gaudette + Sbisa (send him home)/Granlund (if they want offence).

Is that worth the difference in skill between Mittelstatd/Vilardi/Glass and Hirschier/Nolan? Hard to tell. 

3rd overall might be a little more achievable but again, I don't think there's much difference between Mittelstatd, Vilardi and Glass so wouldn't want to give up too much to move up from 5th to 3rd.

I have no interest at all in moving up to 3 or 4. If we move up, 2 is the only spot I think would be worth trying for. Even then, I'd rather just stay put or even trade down a spot or two depending on who's available. 

Archived