The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks could trade up according to Darren Dreger

ynwa

9 hours ago, Bigturk8 said:

The thing about the past two years, and it will probably be true of next year, is that everyone was saying that it was impossible to trade up because teams wouldn't let go of those picks. We find ourselves in a position where it's either impossible or not worth it.

The same applies every year, which is why you so seldom see trades involving the top few draft picks. Either the player available is too good to pass up, or he's not good enough to be worth trading for. I would be willing to bet that there are no trades involving the top 3 draft picks this year either.

45 minutes ago, firestorm238 said:

Not sure why this is laughable - Patrick and Hischier just aren't projected to be that good.  I'd be laughing too if it was last year's draft - but this year's draft just isn't that strong.  

They are still projected to be top line players.. are younger and have loads of potential over tanev 

23 hours ago, numb3r 16 said:

Wouldn't mind it if it's like our 1st plus a 2nd and something else, especially for a chance to solidify our future no 1 centre position.

Ummm future no. 1 center?  Ermmm Bo says hi... 

Why trade all that and just get Vilardi with out 5th and leave it at that...  there's your solution plus trade a player or 2 and use Miller's cap space and get a bonafide first line sniper around 26-27 tor old-ish and take care of a need right away, plus a promising 6'3 200 lb center

4 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Ummm future no. 1 center?  Ermmm Bo says hi... 

Why trade all that and just get Vilardi with out 5th and leave it at that...  there's your solution plus trade a player or 2 and use Miller's cap space and get a bonafide first line sniper around 26-27 tor old-ish and take care of a need right away, plus a promising 6'3 200 lb center

So? 

12 minutes ago, numb3r 16 said:

So? 

So why would you throw in a second for a top five pick and trades together when Vilardi is enough for now, he's got an nhl ready body, like Virtanen but a faster version of jake with more ermmm hockey sense?  Seems to be the case but anyway it gives us him and see how jake will show up to camp, we only have 6 spots for top 2 lines plus 2 more next year IF the twins depart so what's wrong with waiting it out and see where the new player develop goes and spend cap accordingly., Sounds logical but then again canuck fans demand superstars and win now rather than build through a farm which is finally starting to happen and needs more crop but that can be later for depth too. I like the idea of having a simple but effective hard hitting, fast forechecking team that can jump on mistakes of the oppononents like the elite clubs do and win an extra 10-20 games a year by being good at it. This team is cream puff...  easy to play against...  time for that to change, after watching since I was 13 in 1974 it's getting way past stupid never winning a cup with a really skilled team but never a lot of toughness with the ODD exception

6 hours ago, oldnews said:

What good defensemen have the Canucks ever drafted in the 2nd round?  Is there one?  Jiri Slegr?

On the other hand, the best defensman to ever wear a Canucks jersey was a first rounder - Ohlund.

Im talking about in general , of course the canucks never drafted a stud defensemen. but thats usually where they come out from . The later rounds

2 hours ago, iceman64 said:

So why would you throw in a second for a top five pick and trades together when Vilardi is enough for now, he's got an nhl ready body, like Virtanen but a faster version of jake with more ermmm hockey sense?  Seems to be the case but anyway it gives us him and see how jake will show up to camp, we only have 6 spots for top 2 lines plus 2 more next year IF the twins depart so what's wrong with waiting it out and see where the new player develop goes and spend cap accordingly., Sounds logical but then again canuck fans demand superstars and win now rather than build through a farm which is finally starting to happen and needs more crop but that can be later for depth too. I like the idea of having a simple but effective hard hitting, fast forechecking team that can jump on mistakes of the oppononents like the elite clubs do and win an extra 10-20 games a year by being good at it. This team is cream puff...  easy to play against...  time for that to change, after watching since I was 13 in 1974 it's getting way past stupid never winning a cup with a really skilled team but never a lot of toughness with the ODD exception

This was a good reply except it had nothing to do with what I quoted and bolded you on... Anyways I agree with you, sometimes the longer route is the better one.

or... to be more positive.

If Tanev gets traded anyways...  Patrick or Nico would probably be a better return than anything we could get.  Or is that really true?  If it is, then it is still worth trading up, as they may project to be top line centers.  

I'd rather trade Tanev for one of the top 2 than at the deadline next year...  

anyways, doubt it will happen!  

Only way I see it, is the Canucks trade the 2nd rounder for the Star's #3 pick and take Lehtonen. Saves them almost $6 million in salary. They would still have a 1st rounder, 2 second rounders. Lehtonen means full tank ahead!

Provided he's willing to waive his NTC which is unlikely to play for Vancouver. But then again, he could be the starter! :lol:

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Only way I see it, is the Canucks trade the 2nd rounder for the Star's #3 pick and take Lehtonen. Saves them almost $6 million in salary. They would still have a 1st rounder, 2 second rounders. Lehtonen means full tank ahead!

Provided he's willing to waive his NTC which is unlikely to play for Vancouver. But then again, he could be the starter! :lol:

Tanev + CLB 2nd to DAL for 3rd OA, Lehtonen and Oleksiak.

Draft one of Mittel/Glass/Vilardi (or slim chance of Patrick falling) at 3 and Liljegrin at 5.

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Tanev + CLB 2nd to DAL for 3rd OA, Lehtonen and Oleksiak.

Draft one of Mittel/Glass/Vilardi (or slim chance of Patrick falling) at 3 and Liljegrin at 5.

Heard on 1040 this morning that it is not a foregone conclusion that Patrick and Hischier go 1 - 2.  Middlestadt and Hiskannen (sp?) have potential to go there too.  So, if JB was a smarty pants, wouldn't he have a trade ready to get into that third spot if either of Patrick or Hischier falls?

Anyone happen to catch Dreger's Douchebag Café on TSN? Supposedly he sat down at a "café" in Paris with Babcock and fluffed him for 20 minutes straight while drinking espresso.

Here's a screenshot complete with a Reserve sign on the table, just in case anyone thought to steal Dreger's table.

douche.png

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Anyone happen to catch Dreger's Douchebag Café on TSN? Supposedly he sat down at a "café" in Paris with Babcock and fluffed him for 20 minutes straight while drinking espresso.

Here's a screenshot complete with a Reserve sign on the table, just in case anyone thought to steal Dreger's table.

douche.png

Jebus :sick:

Archived