The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks could trade up according to Darren Dreger

ynwa

2 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Assuming he'd waive, Edler to Dallas for their 2018 first round pick and Lehtonen? I would. Lehtonen has a complicated MNTC though. 

That's an interesting proposal.  That pick in 18 is likely to be middle of the pack (or who knows?) - I think I'd want a bit of sweetener ie their 2nd this draft and would throw in a late pick on our side.

Dallas has Hemsky, Hudler and Sharp expiring.  They could also stand to add to their LSD imo - and Edler actually does well with puck moving partners (ie Klingberg, Honka) - he's played his best hockey paired with guys from that cut.

I've been thinking Tampa, but the need to move a goaltender and necessity to pay to do so gives the Canucks (or any team) some leverage as Dallas sits on about 16 million worth of goaltenders.  I'd take Lehtonen or Niemi if there's enough incentive.

2 hours ago, ynwa said:

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/report-canucks-could-acquire-1st-or-2nd-overall-pick/?ref=trevor

They could, but it would cost way too much for what is available at 1 & 2.

dont think this is the year the team should do that. If there was a generational player maybe you try and bite the bullet to land a franchise player type. This year I would go best player available, either you get a potential top line center at # 5 which is an obvious need or you add a potential top pairing defenseman which again dont grow on trees.

I think it would be wise to keep 5 unless you can gain another asset while even dropping one or two spots. Seems you will either end up with a potential top pairing dman or potential top line player no matter who is taken top 8 or so ?

Meh I'm down to trade up as long as we don't overpay and give any of our top prospects. If they ask for Demko, Juolevi, no thanks. They can keep their pick Buttman gifted them. My only sure thing pick in this year's draft that would become the best player is Hischier

1 minute ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

dont think this is the year the team should do that. If there was a generational player maybe you try and bite the bullet to land a franchise player type. This year I would go best player available, either you get a potential top line center at # 5 which is an obvious need or you add a potential top pairing defenseman which again dont grow on trees.

I think it would be wise to keep 5 unless you can gain another asset while even dropping one or two spots. Seems you will either end up with a potential top pairing dman or potential top line player no matter who is taken top 8 or so ?

to play devil's advocate.....

This is the year that you may be able to move up without bankrupting the team in terms of picks or prospects.

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

Dreger is a worthless source where this team is concerned imo.

He's been far more concerned with trolling this team than being a professional journalist.

Highly doubt anyone legit speaks to Darren Dreger regarding Canucks business or that there is anything at all to this aside from Dreger seeking some attention.

That's the oldnews I love! Tell em! 

Dregger sucks. 

19 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

This is true but unless its Hischier I dont attempt to move up.

i think that means getting the 1oa, Nico goes 1st over Patrick this draft. So, NJ gets to replace Larssen with Tanev, but whats the "+" ? If its just a 2nd sure, thats a given. But Tanev + our 5th is too steep. We can get high picks and/or prospects for Tanev at the next TDL.

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

I'd do Tanev plus our second for one of the top 2.  Patrick and Liljegren would be a nice take.  No idea if that gets it done though.

I also may have some tunnel vision due to recent success from big Canadian centres and smooth Swedish offensive defensemen these playoffs.

I really believe if we're going to trade into the top 2, we have to include our 1st no matter what. I'd want to wheel and deal with Jersey to see if they're willing to move the pick. I'd offer Tanev and our 1st for 1st overall and even then, I think they'll have to add  a solid B level prospect preferably a defenceman who has some NHL upside or say an extra pick like a 3rd or a 4th. Either we have to pay big time to move up

Just now, Beary Sweet said:

I really believe if we're going to trade into the top 2, we have to include our 1st no matter what. I'd want to wheel and deal with Jersey to see if they're willing to move the pick. I'd offer Tanev and our 1st for 1st overall and even then, I think they'll have to add  a solid B level prospect preferably a defenceman who has some NHL upside or say an extra pick like a 3rd or a 4th. Either we have to pay big time to move up

No chance Jim trades Tanev and our first just to move up a few spots. Like he said, we need a 1C or PPQB.  We have one of those at 5 so no point in giving that up plus our best trade chip in Tanev.  It's greedy and unlikely but the prize would be to snag one of those top C's and one of Liljegren/Makar.

Maybe Liljegren or Makar drop a bit and we can move Tanev for one of those 1st rounders (6-10) and just take Glass or Villardi or Mittelstadt with our 5th OA.  

Just as good in my books.

Archived