The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks being approached about Tanev

13 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I think he's 21 year-old Bennett now, so he's less sexy. But sure, if we could swing that one for one, I'd do it. Even when he's not scoring he's still a pest working his ass off.

Yes he is.  I liked him from the draft too.  He's a nasty piece of business to play against I'm sure.  We need those types of players.  I wonder if he could become a Burrows kind of player?

39 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Alright, let's kick around this Calgary idea since it's the off-season and we have nothing better to do. 

First off, what are we trying to acquire in this trade. Another 1st rounder? Prospects? A capable roster player? Or some kind of mix therein?

Let's say we can name our price from Calgary (let's be reasonable, they're not giving up Monahan/Gaudreau/Tkachuk). Would you do their 1st (17th), one of Rasmussen/Kylington, and Jankowski?

OR wouldn't it make sense to target Backlund and take a 2nd as well? Assuming we could even get that. 

Sam Bennett? 

23 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

Tanev + virtanen + 5th OA for Monahan

Interesting proposal, but I don't think Calgary does this.  Monahan is their number one center, isn't he?  Having him and Bo would be great for us though.

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

To Dallas:

Tanev

55th Overall

To Vancouver

3rd Overall

Lehtonen

Dallas 6th round (Jim loves those late round picks :) )

Dallas wins this trade short term with shoring up defense plus dumping a bad contract, allowing them to go after better free agents and make a realistic run at the cup.

Vancouver wins it long term with the 3rd overall pick.

I'd say that Dallas has to sweeten their side. A lot. Especially if the Canucks are throwing in a 2nd, and Dallas is adding a cap dump for some negative value. 

I'd prefer something like:

To Dallas:

Tanev

55th OA  (or possibly the 33rd OA, or nothing here if they don't want to pay more)

To Vancouver

3rd OA

29th OA (or possibly the 39th OA)

Lehtonen

If they don't want to give up the 29th, see if they will go for the 33rd OA in place of the 55th (for the 29th) OR they have to add the 39th and don't get a 2nd from the Canucks.

Something like that.

regards,  G.

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

If Benning actually pulls this off and gets another top 5 pick or a-level prospect I think his GM status will raise considerably.

Ya, I still struggle with the fact that if we trade post entry draft, we end up losing Sbisa too. That would leave our defence decidedly thin.

Edler - Stecher

Hutton - Gudbranson

Holm - 

(Juolevi) Biega, Pedan, McEneny

I think if we do trade Tanev, it has to be before the entry draft so that we can protect another defenseman. 

1 minute ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Ya, I still struggle with the fact that if we trade post entry draft, we end up losing Sbisa too. That would leave our defence decidedly thin.

Edler - Stecher

Hutton - Gudbranson

Holm - 

(Juolevi) Biega, Pedan, McEneny

I think if we do trade Tanev, it has to be before the entry draft so that we can protect another defenseman. 

Thats why I'm fine with the "overpayment" of the additional 2nd round pick to Dallas, we are far better off doing this deal pre-expansion. We'll recover a pick moving Sbisa at the TDL. If he has another solid year he is worth a 2nd rounder to a contender. Thats pretty cheap for D depth for the playoffs. 

There is a rumor from Ben Kuzma that I saw on HF boards that Dallas wants both of our seconds and Tanev for the 3rd OA.  If true, that is a steep price to pay, but one that I would.  We would walk out of the draft with 2 of Heiskanen, Vilardi, Makar or Mittlestead.  This would really speed up the rebuild, and give us one of the top 5 prospect pools in the league.

On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎05 at 3:36 AM, Canuck Surfer said:

I am not an advocate of trading Tanev.  In part based on my opinion we will not get an impact player.  It took a near perfect storm contributing to the market conditions that landed Hall for Larsson.

i value defensive D more than most actually.  I supported the Larsson acquisition when popular opinion buried it.

The market was different.  The current isles, CBJ and Anaheim all have to sell a D man under duress. Or lose a guy, at worst, sexier in appeal than Tanev. Although probably not better.

It will be more challenging than people think to land the 3rd overall. If we can land that I probably would change my stance?

But I don't think it will happen. I definitely don't think we'll be landing an established top line power forward. A matchup every team has to work around. If they can handle at all? Already scoring at a 60 point clip as Hall was.  

A draft pick is not really comparable to a Hall as that player would still not had played 1 single NHL game never mind being a regular. Also, there is no McDavid or Matthews in this group so there is no guarantee the #3  pick will ever be close to a Taylor Hall. I still do not see the reasoning behind you rating Tanev so low. Your argument does not support this.

13 minutes ago, BCNate said:

There is a rumor from Ben Kuzma that I saw on HF boards that Dallas wants both of our seconds and Tanev for the 3rd OA.  If true, that is a steep price to pay, but one that I would.  We would walk out of the draft with 2 of Heiskanen, Vilardi, Makar or Mittlestead.  This would really speed up the rebuild, and give us one of the top 5 prospect pools in the league.

I would pass.  This is a drat where the best player could be a 2nd or 3rd round guy.

Good to see we have Elliot setting the bar high right out of the gate for us.  A trade for Tanev STARTS with a high pick, a top-end prospect, or established forward, likely two such assets.  If Calgary's interested, as has been said above: 18YO + 1st is where it begins.  We'd get a pretty nice prospect at #16 -- a Suzuki, Foote, Hague, Thomas, will be available and even Liljegren/Necas/Pettersson could potentially still be there.  Adding Bennett, Vilardi/Glass/Mittelstadt, and another top prospect would be gold, and we'll still have #33 to take another near the end of that tier.  18YO can step right in next year so we can keep the rest developing, then the Sedins retire and we bring in the next platoon of yutes.

23 minutes ago, BCNate said:

If they wanted both 2nds (33rd and 55th OA) and Tanev then I'd want the 3rd OA, the 29th OA (or a very good prospect) and their 2nd (39th OA) or a good prospect, especially as they supposedly want to unload a goalie in the transaction (Lehtonen).

regards,  G.

4 hours ago, Odjick_fan said:

https://fansided.com/2017/06/04/nhl-trade-rumors-3-best-fits-chris-tanev/

This article suggests 3 trade options with Buffalo, Dallas and Toronto.  The Buffalo trade option he downplays big time lol

But here are the 3 options

Buffalo:  Tanev for Reinhart and 2017 1st (8 OA)

Dallas:  Tanev for Ana 2017 1st (29 OA)

Toronto:  Tanev for 2017 1st (17 OA), Kapanen and Bracco

the Buffalo trade would be the better of all 3 IMO.  It would be cool to watch Reinhart play alongside the Sedins (I am only thinking out loud here)

But then what if the Dallas trade were a bit more interesting.

Dallas:  Tanev and rights to Boucher

Van:  2017 1st (ANA), Antti Niemi and rights to Nichushkin

This option would fill a couple extra needs (goalie and LW)

Lol.

So in 1 scenario we're getting the 8th overall AND former 2nd overall Reinhart 

In another we're getting the 17th a decent prospect and subpar prospect 

And in the Dallas proposal....29th overall pick?  

Fansided is as clueless as Eklund  IMO.

But dude then you offer Tanev and Bouchers rights for a late 1st a bad contract and the rights to a prospect that might never come back to north America.

No....just...no

21 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

If they wanted both 2nds (33rd and 55th OA) and Tanev then I'd want the 3rd OA, the 29th OA (or a very good prospect) and their 2nd (39th OA) or a good prospect, especially as they supposedly want to unload a goalie in the transaction (Lehtonen).

regards,  G.

In a bigger package with Tanev+33+55, I'd consider Johns. He'd fill in nicely on our 3rd pair, right side.

But IMO, it's 33rd OR a goalie dump, not both.

Tanev + 55 and one of taking Lehtonen back/our 33rd.

Archived