The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] EDM trades Eberle to NYI for Ryan Strome

23 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Why would they want or need Strome?  

They have McDavid, Draisatl, RNH, Desharnais and a few more.  All are better centers thus far than Ryan Strome has shown himself to be.  DeHaan or Hamonic are really the only ones that make sense.  Barzal is all but untouchable and Strome is redundant unless they're moving Desharnais or RNH

And there's the update, makes not much sense unless RH or Desharnais are on their way out.

Desharnais is a UFA and wont be signed

Strome would allow them to keep Leon on left wing to play with conner. 

Strome also plays RW, he did that in his only good season in the NHL when he played RW with Tavares. 

Overall it's good to have a bunch of depth in the middle.  If Strome pans out at center it will allow them to move on from RNH..

1 minute ago, mll said:

Desharnais is UFA and won't be brought back.

Chiarelli said they are not looking for Ds even with the Sekera injury.  He is counting on internal growth of Nurse and Benning and wants to back bring Russel.  So not surprising that they did not target a D.

McLellan explained that for him Draisaitl is a forward - they don't worry about position because he is equally good at C or on the wing.  They like RNH a lot and thinks he should have a more offensive role - could Strome help that? 

For the right price I can see Desharnais back for the Oilers, he was surprisingly solid in the playoffs for them.

Chia Pet will always look for D or a two way player, it's his MO and what made him a successful GM.  If there's a D out there he'll find a way to make it work.

Hamonic did make the most sense in my opinion until they announced it was Strome.

Strome could capably help RNH and if they DO keep Desharnais McDavid/RNH/Strome/Desharnais look better than Letestu on that 4th line

Hard to say with Chia Pet really

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Let's ask the honest question here to you and the rest who responded to me

Do ANY of you seriously still see Tavares as an Islander after this season.  Anyone at all, seriously?

I don't.  That would leave Lee and Nelson as your defacto 1st and 2nd line centers.   Still think that deth is that good?  I'd put it on a par with vancouver right now but a shade more developed and with a Barzal in the pool

I honestly expect him to stay.

You cant count chicken before they hatch. And bringing in Eberle for Tavares is most likley an effort to ensure they do resign him. If the two of them have a dynamite year.. well why would he leave?

I am sure Tavares likes living in New York - he is also the face of the franchise and their Captain. I expect this to be similar to Stamkos. 

You cant say a teams C depth is woeful before it is. 

23 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I don't know man, the Isles center depth is pretty woeful to begin with and moving a center for a winger doesn't do them many favours, neither does adding $6 million in cap space.

I think the biggest take away from this is

The Isles are the WORST managed franchise in the NHL bar none.  The Oilers may have been the worst franchise statistically over a decade but for almost 20 years the Isles have been absolutely horrifically run

This i completely agree with.

Massive win for NYI other than the cap exchange.   Eberle had a down year and Strome has a limited ceiling.   This is about making sure they (Edmonton) can afford their two massive contracts ala Chicago's pair that will be soon signed.   This is not an upgrade on the ice at all for them.   For NYI, this helps get Tavares' attention - JT feeding Eberle will be something that should really be interesting to watch.

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I don't think I am

At 27 years old, I see him at his peak as a 65 point guy for a season or two.  With the right linemates.

But it's the isles we're talking about here.  They won't let that happen

He just scored 34 goals, tied for 10th in the league with Patrick Kane and David Pastrnak. You compared him to Brandon Sutter, whose career high was 21.

And on what planet is "65 point guy" not a top-6-worthy player? 65 points this past season was what Eric Staal got in Minnesota - good for 29th overall in league scoring.

Strome also can play the wing so it does give them some options when moving away from Drai and McDavid on the same line. Has some size and is considered more of a two-way player than Eberle, and for the Islanders they have Beauvillier and Ho-Sang, etc., that can fill Strome's shoes and Eberle is a proven goal-scorer when he is given top line minutes.

Pretty classic hockey trade.

8 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Besides the whole NMC thing that actually makes sense.

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That's actually a fair trade.  The Oilers might like that, because Loui would help their team in many ways.

Part of me was joking and also half serious, my lowkey way of testing it out before i put it into proposals :P jk 

Chiarelli was the one that brought Loui to Boston, Loui has history with Lucic, not sure Loui wants to move though, nor do I think Benning will do it because he has too much pride  and say he screwed up the contract.

7 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

He scored 41 points in 44 playoff games for the IceDogs  a few years back. Maybe they want to rekindle that effort for the post season.

(8 points in 15 playoff games with the Isle)

I was talking about Eberle.  He will improve their scoring in the regular season and disappear in the POs

3 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I think he would take some of the pressure off Bo while we're waiting for the 1C prospect to develop.  Trade him in 3years and pickup a player/prospect in return.

You got me thinking...Maybe if RNH was playing with a really tough couple of wingers?  Virtanen could be one.

If they do:

Draisaitl-McDavid-Lucic

Maroon-RNH-Strome

That second line really isnt going to be fast.

So I would expect:

Draisaitl-McDavid-Lucic

Caggiulla-RNH-Strome

Maroon-Letetsu-Kassian

I guess? They could shuffle the wingers quite a lot.

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

For the right price I can see Desharnais back for the Oilers, he was surprisingly solid in the playoffs for them.

Chia Pet will always look for D or a two way player, it's his MO and what made him a successful GM.  If there's a D out there he'll find a way to make it work.

Hamonic did make the most sense in my opinion until they announced it was Strome.

Strome could capably help RNH and if they DO keep Desharnais McDavid/RNH/Strome/Desharnais look better than Letestu on that 4th line

Hard to say with Chia Pet really

Desharnais is apparently looking at his options in Europe.

He was specifically asked about adding a D with the Sekera injury (he will likely not be available for the start of the season) and he answered that he was leaning against it.  He liked how Nurse and Benning stepped up and wants to give them an increased role.  He said he wants to bring back Russel.

3 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I honestly expect him to stay.

You cant count chicken before they hatch. And bringing in Eberle for Tavares is most likley an effort to ensure they do resign him. If the two of them have a dynamite year.. well why would he leave?

I am sure Tavares likes living in New York - he is also the face of the franchise and their Captain. I expect this to be similar to Stamkos. 

You cant say a teams C depth is woeful before it is. 

Except it is.

Stack up their division.  Isles aren't in the top half at the moment and the only reason they're not in the bottom IS Tavares.

Tavares either gets $9+ million or he's most likely gone (I think he's gone no matter what)  Leaving Lee and Nelson and Bailey and Barzal in the background

This is my opinion only and you can argue that all you want.  It's not going to change.

22 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I really don't understand this trade from Edmonton's perspective. In Eberle's worst season he still put up a higher point per game than Strome's best season. Does Edmonton need cap space that badly? 

Me neither especially with them needing defense, doesn't make sense at all. Those mcdavid and draisital contracts are going to be huge 

Archived