The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

DIdn't take him to warm up and get used to the SHL then. I was always confident he'd score at this level, the big question will be how it translates to the smaller, more physical NA hockey rink...

I'd like to see him over in the AHL to start next season and just see what happens with him.

4 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

He is not going to just maintain this pace, he is going to exceed it (I hope).........he is just starting to get comfortable with this team.

I can't wait to see him perform at the WJC.......

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

LOL. Kid's getting points quicker than I can check the stats. 

He's now on a scoring rate that would be 3rd all-time among SHL U20s (he just passed Gradin and is nipping at Forsberg's heels).

Would be amazing if he can maintain anything even close to this pace over the whole season.

Forget about maintaining this pace, he's not coasting, he's still accelerating. Wonder what he'll do next week? 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

You seem to forget, if we had gotten even ONE MORE POINT, we would be picking 7th. 

Given where he was ranked by many, I have a feeling several teams had him closer to 7-10 than #5. We may still have got him anyways.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

DIdn't take him to warm up and get used to the SHL then. I was always confident he'd score at this level, the big question will be how it translates to the smaller, more physical NA hockey rink...

I'd like to see him over in the AHL to start next season and just see what happens with him.

...well someone posted the points conversion chart for SHL too AHL too NHL and someone scoring a PPG in the SHL would be scoring over 1.2 points in the AHL ( by memory ) and .8 PPG in the NHL...so it is highly unlikely he spends any time in the AHL.

3 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Forget about maintaining this pace, he's not coasting, he's still accelerating. Wonder what he'll do next week? 

I think it's also important to keep in mind that he's still playing at about 165 lbs. Imagine what he could potentially be doing with another 10-15 lbs of muscle added to his frame.

21 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

Gradin

Naslund

Daniel and Henrik Sedin

Pettersson?

Dahlin??

Lars Lindgren, Mikael Samuelsson, Alexander Edler, Mattias Ohlund, not too mention immortal Eddie Lack and my fave Patrick Sundstrom!

51 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Given where he was ranked by many, I have a feeling several teams had him closer to 7-10 than #5. We may still have got him anyways.

That is true, but the whole thing of "tanking doesn't work" is not true. Tanking does not guarantee you a top 3 pick, but it helps anyways. You can only move 3 spots back, so might as well finish as low as possible if playoffs are out of the picture.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

That is true, but the whole thing of "tanking doesn't work" is not true. Tanking does not guarantee you a top 3 pick, but it helps anyways. You can only move 3 spots back, so might as well finish as low as possible if playoffs are out of the picture.

A lot of People here don't understand odds and percentages 

• Upvote 2

I was reading this thread this morning and left it on this thread. When I just got back on I got the message go to the first of 111 new posts. My first thought was oh no what happened to Pettersson. Being a Canuck fan makes you pessimistic.  Thankfully my first thought were wrong.

Congratulations Elias on a great game I'm glad for the good news.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

And not to high jack Pettersson's prospect post, but we are so close to having a very good prospect pool that should meld into a very good pro team. This is why I am all for moving as many vets between now and the TDL, as if we can get another 1st and a couple more seconds, we will have an incredible core of young prospects, and a very good, group of young pro's.

And to underline what Adash Sant has said, it is not that you are guaranteed the 1st over all if you tank, but you are guaranteed a maximum of 3 spots from where you finished, and again as Adash pointed out "we were 1 point from picking 7th OA, last year"

It is only one year,and Benning has illustrated that he can sign UFA at decent prices, that can add to the team.......so move the players needed to get additional early picks, and make this year our last at the bottom........"IF" Pettersson continues his development on the same accent as he has shown recently, along with Gaudette, Goldoblin, Dalen, Juolevi, Lind and Demko, putting pressure on Benning to make room on the big club, there will be a lot of movement anyways, it seems like the most logical thing to do is, move vets as they come into demand, and pick up those extra picks......

I have liked the way the Canucks have played, but not as much as these kids have impressed me! Give me a top 5 OA, another later 1st round pick and a couple more seconds, and we will be well on our way into the "new" NHL........darn if I am not just a little bit hyped! I sure hope he (Pettersson) continues to gain strength and power. Cause he doesn't have any problems in the skill or IQ area's!

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I'm still stunned by that 1-timer.  That was a fast pass that a lot of NHLers would have stopped first and then taken their shot.

This kid truly is special.

I was surprised by the velocity he got on the shot weighing only a buck fifty. That’s just filthy. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

And not to high jack Pettersson's prospect post, but we are so close to having a very good prospect pool that should meld into a very good pro team. This is why I am all for moving as many vets between now and the TDL, as if we can get another 1st and a couple more seconds, we will have an incredible core of young prospects, and a very good, group of young pro's.

And to underline what Adash Sant has said, it is not that you are guaranteed the 1st over all if you tank, but you are guaranteed a maximum of 3 spots from where you finished, and again as Adash pointed out "we were 1 point from picking 7th OA, last year"

It is only one year,and Benning has illustrated that he can sign UFA at decent prices, that can add to the team.......so move the players needed to get additional early picks, and make this year our last at the bottom........"IF" Pettersson continues his development on the same accent as he has shown recently, along with Gaudette, Goldoblin, Dalen, Juolevi, Lind and Demko, putting pressure on Benning to make room on the big club, there will be a lot of movement anyways, it seems like the most logical thing to do is, move vets as they come into demand, and pick up those extra picks......

I have liked the way the Canucks have played, but not as much as these kids have impressed me! Give me a top 5 OA, another later 1st round pick and a couple more seconds, and we will be well on our way into the "new" NHL........darn if I am not just a little bit hyped! I sure hope he (Pettersson) continues to gain strength and power. Cause he don't any problems in the skill or IQ area's!

This is not NHL2017 with robot players. To tell professional players to do worse than their level best/ to actively sabotage their play so you can 'tank', is as unprofessional, counterproductive and stupid as it gets.

You can't on one hand, be all for 'solid character guys who aren't complete, self-entitled a$$holes'  and then expect these same players to chuck their integrity away and commit fraud/put up with fraud.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, canuckistani said:

This is not NHL2017 with robot players. To tell professional players to do worse than their level best/ to actively sabotage their play so you can 'tank', is as unprofessional, counterproductive and stupid as it gets.

You can't on one hand, be all for 'solid character guys who aren't complete, self-entitled a$$holes'  and then expect these same players to chuck their integrity away and commit fraud/put up with fraud.

Well....Arizona worked their "stealth" tank on NO goalie this year, and the year that Tampa got Stamkos, they dropped a zillion points from the year before.......Toronto traded a lot of players, and built from the ground up.....there are plenty of examples of "Tanking"

I don't advocate, a complete tear down, but moving 2 of Edler, Baertschi, Del Zotto, Sutter, Markstrom, Dorsett plus Vanek, will open spots and gives us picks. It is not a sin!

As for the "Fraud" comment...........it is not fraud....where the hell did you come up with that one?

But to get back on point.............Pettersson sure had a great game! Don't you think!

• Upvote 1