The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Super excited to see Pettersson over here.  I wonder if he can play for us, like Boeser did last season and Tryamkin the season before, the last 10 or so games this spring?

20 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I am sure that SID can answer this better than I can but I will give it a try. Pettersson;s last home game for the season is going to be March 10th and then they will have their playoffs. Given the strong performance from the Vaxjo team they may be in the playoffs for some time. The Canucks regular season ends in early April so I doubt there would be much time available for Pettersson to get over here at the end of the year.....unfortunately.

Yeah, barring a monumental collapse from Vaxjo and the Canucks making the playoffs, we probably aren't seeing Pettersson play a game in a Canucks uniform until the 2018 Young Star tournament. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Yeah, barring a monumental collapse from Vaxjo and the Canucks making the playoffs, we probably aren't seeing Pettersson play a game in a Canucks uniform until the 2018 Young Star tournament. 

It's CDC, dream big. Canucks will on a deep run and make it all the way to the Cup Final. And EP comes in as a hired gun in for the last 2 rounds of the playoffs and light it up and with 18 pts in 12 games, help the Canucks capture Lord Stanley's Cup. :P

JK, agree with you, next time we see him in BC would be next year's prospects camp and then the 2018 Young Star Tournament and we will go from here :)

• Cheers 2

So, is Pettersson the outright points leader in the SHL? Seems like he's also played fewer games than some. This kid is special. As for next year, who knows? I'd love to see him on the Canucks tomorrow, as I'm excited to see him play in the NHL, but it will take time. He's tearing it up in the SHL right now, and then I suspect next off-season he'll work on bulking up and getting stronger. I don't see how he won't make the Canucks next year, unless he doesn't put on the weight and strengthen. There's also the different sized ice to get used to. What if he plays a few pre-season games next year and lights it up? (Boeser-esque). He could follow a similar path as Brock.

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rick Blight said:

I am sure that SID can answer this better than I can but I will give it a try. Pettersson;s last home game for the season is going to be March 10th and then they will have their playoffs. Given the strong performance from the Vaxjo team they may be in the playoffs for some time. The Canucks regular season ends in early April so I doubt there would be much time available for Pettersson to get over here at the end of the year.....unfortunately.

Better chance we may get to see Gaudette end of March and even then depending on how healthy this team is and if we sell at deadline? Are we in the playoff picture? 

Would love pettersson to get the experience of playing with the twins before they retire in all honesty tho 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, LegionOfDoom said:

Better chance we may get to see Gaudette end of March and even then depending on how healthy this team is and if we sell at deadline? Are we in the playoff picture? 

Would love pettersson to get the experience of playing with the twins before they retire in all honesty tho 

I think there is a very good chance we see Gaudette play a few games with the Canucks this season. Not a bad consolation prize either.

• Cheers 1

Pettersson, Gaudette, Dahlen and Juolevi next year (hopefully). This would also mean at least 4 players aren't with the team next year. Vanek, Gagner, Hutton and Granlund? I'm going to assume the Sedins re-sign (1 year, $2 million each), as management may want the Sedins to mentor the prospects (Swedes) coming up. Besides, don't you think there would be rumblings by now if they planned on retiring at the end of the season? I'm not sure they would make a quiet announcement at the end of the season and disappear into the night. They'll want to make a big announcement to the fans that this will be their last season. I expect that announcement next summer.

Top 6 - Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Dahlen, and maybe Virtanen. Hmm, they could sure use a big, fast, scoring LWer. Maybe someone from here, who played in Vancouver (Giants), who's approaching his prime and ready to rock in the playoffs. #9 is waiting for you eVANder.

Kane - Horvat - Pettersson = GOLD   

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:
Rank Spelare Nr Lag Pos GP G A TP PIM GWG PPG SOG Hits BkS + - +/- TOI/GP
1 Elias Pettersson 40 30.pngVäxjö Lakers F 19 9 15 24 12 2 4 43 5 2 12 5 7 16:02
2 Joakim Lindström 10 30.pngSkellefteå F 20 8 16 24 12 1 3 71 10 2 21 16 5 18:24
3 Ryan Lasch 81 30.pngFrölunda F 20 7 16 23 8 2 3 52 3 3 14 11 3 20:15

Same amount of points as #2, but all around better quality stats.  

Im stoked we got this kid.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:
1 Elias Pettersson 40 30.pngVäxjö Lakers F 19 9 15 24 12 2 4 43 5 2 12 5 7 16:02
2 Joakim Lindström 10 30.pngSkellefteå F 20 8 16 24 12 1 3 71 10 2 21 16 5 18:24

I love how he’s doing it with much less ice time too than the other two players behind him!  I just hope his 21% shooting rate isn’t going to drop a lot and hurt his numbers!!?

• Cheers 1

Unreal to think he's the leading SHL scorer and undoubted MVP so far this season. Taken Vaxjo to top of the league and the next highest scorer on the same team is 21st in scoring.

Of course the big thing will always be transition to the North American rink, there is still a long way to go before calling this kid "elite" but I hope we can send him to the AHL next season and let him be our first call-up for injuries, so maybe play some NHL games next year and the majority in Utica. We should try and follow a Nylander-esque pathway with Pettersson, he paid his dues in the AHL and dominated that before moving on up to the NHL level.

Pettersson could turn Utica into a real powerhouse next season if he follows Nylander's trajectory if not better and scores at a PPG in the AHL too.

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

:wacko::blink:  No where did I say that Pettersson doesn't need time to develop.  I also have nothing to do with the pressure that Pettersson faces. That comes with the territory of his draft pick & his recent play. I'm sure all elite players thrive off of the pressure. That's what makes them elite.

LMAO. What does a scouts report before the draft have to do with us fans hoping that Pettersson can become an elite player? Is it not ok with you if we fans want to have some hope that our top draft pick in years could be an elite player? I thought that all NHL teams have high expectations of their top 5 1st round picks? 

If you wanna talk scouts then tell me what was Gudreau's scouting report when he went in the 5th round?

Datsyuk's when he went 7th round?

Zetterberg 7th?

Benn 5th?

Kucherov 3rd?

Keith 2nd?

Weber 2nd?

Marchand 3rd rounder?

Pastranek?

Boeser?

Tarasenko?

St. Louis never drafted?

Or the other side of the fence. What was the scouting reports on these guys if you really want to get into that?

Stefan

Brendl

Lawton

Scissons

Bonsignore

Filatov

Barker

Brady

Chyzowski

Dal Colle

Yakupov

Daigle

I've watched enough hockey to know that an elite player can come from pretty much anywhere in the draft but your "chances" are better the higher you draft in most cases. (Pettersson is our highest draft pick by the way). 

Saying that there is never any guarantees as the above list of players proves that, but I'm still hoping for the best in all our prospects always.

I think I have wandered into "straw man blunder land"

None of what you have said bears any connection to my post, which as you seem to have forgotten, was that we the fans should not put too much pressure and expectations on a 19 year old under weight kid who is playing on large ice surfaces in the SHL. 

Reading some of these posts is like deja vu when I think of Jake Virtanen but he at least had a big body.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

That's awesome.  I like that number too, rarely used but wasn't he 41 during training/development camp? 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I think I have wandered into "straw man blunder land"

None of what you have said bears any connection to my post, which as you seem to have forgotten, was that we the fans should not put too much pressure and expectations on a 19 year old under weight kid who is playing on large ice surfaces in the SHL. 

Reading some of these posts is like deja vu when I think of Jake Virtanen but he at least had a big body.

Try to think of it as more of Deja vu of when everybody (except me) was saying that Horvat needed time in the AHL or when most people (except me) were saying that Boeser needed time in the AHL...Jake just doesn't have the hockey sense of the other 3 guys and that was evident from year 0 with us...

All you mother hen's trying to "calm us down" on being excited about a prospect.....no....THE prospect of the CENTURY for us....

Boeser and Petterson are going to terrorize the NHL next year and all you hand wringing guys will be going "oh ya I called that"...

• Cheers 3

5 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Unreal to think he's the leading SHL scorer and undoubted MVP so far this season. Taken Vaxjo to top of the league and the next highest scorer on the same team is 21st in scoring.

Of course the big thing will always be transition to the North American rink, there is still a long way to go before calling this kid "elite" but I hope we can send him to the AHL next season and let him be our first call-up for injuries, so maybe play some NHL games next year and the majority in Utica. We should try and follow a Nylander-esque pathway with Pettersson, he paid his dues in the AHL and dominated that before moving on up to the NHL level.

Pettersson could turn Utica into a real powerhouse next season if he follows Nylander's trajectory if not better and scores at a PPG in the AHL too.

...EP will be terrorizing the NHL next year...he would be scoring at 1.5 PPG in the AHL and have just as much chance of injury if not more....

• Cheers 1