The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-prospects-tracker-nov-4-dahlen-rediscovers-his-scoring-touch

Olli Juolevi

A seesaw week for Juolevi, who continues to add to his points total but has been victimized on the defensive side of his game.

The good: Juolevi notched an assist in Utica’s 3-1 win over the Rocket on Friday. The bad: he’s getting turnstiled too often, especially at the point on the power play.

Olli Juolevi has gotten burned multiple times on this Utica power play, Rocket penalty killers have turnstiled him a few times to create shorthanded scorirng chances.

A giveaway on the power play in a 2-1 overtime loss on Satuday to the same Rocket team also led to a crucial tying goal.

#Canucks #Comets Olli Juolevi give away leads to Laval's short handed tying 1-1 goal.

Still, head coach Trent Cull likes Juolevi’s game so far, telling WSTM-TV “(Juolevi’s) done some really good things for us and has shown that he can be a good player, which bodes well for his confidence.

“We want to be a fast moving team, fast moving the puck, fast with our feet and I think Olli fits right into that game style.”

Juolevi now has one goal and six assists in 12 games played for the Comets. But he’s also a minus-9, far and away the worst on the team.

:lol: I think you' may be missing some things there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-prospects-tracker-nov-4-dahlen-rediscovers-his-scoring-touch

Olli Juolevi

A seesaw week for Juolevi, who continues to add to his points total but has been victimized on the defensive side of his game.

The good: Juolevi notched an assist in Utica’s 3-1 win over the Rocket on Friday. The bad: he’s getting turnstiled too often, especially at the point on the power play.

Olli Juolevi has gotten burned multiple times on this Utica power play, Rocket penalty killers have turnstiled him a few times to create shorthanded scorirng chances.

A giveaway on the power play in a 2-1 overtime loss on Satuday to the same Rocket team also led to a crucial tying goal.

#Canucks #Comets Olli Juolevi give away leads to Laval's short handed tying 1-1 goal.

Still, head coach Trent Cull likes Juolevi’s game so far, telling WSTM-TV “(Juolevi’s) done some really good things for us and has shown that he can be a good player, which bodes well for his confidence.

“We want to be a fast moving team, fast moving the puck, fast with our feet and I think Olli fits right into that game style.”

Juolevi now has one goal and six assists in 12 games played for the Comets. But he’s also a minus-9, far and away the worst on the team.

I agree with you, not exactly going as well as people here want to think.  The +/- stat is probably misleading, I imagine since we got pretty much half of Utica up here that they are probably really thin and thus not a very good team. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

That's fine, you are free to be happy with how it all played out. I like looking at what ifs. To each their own. I'd prefer having Tkachuk and Petey.

I'd rather have Brady Tkachuk and Petey when we trade for BT in 3 years when Melnyk decides he doesn't want to pay him big money.

• Upvote 1

It's early, but it's funny to see this guy do so well to the point where we might even have our own Matthews or McDavid (note that I said might as I don't want to go too crazy yet lol). Like the hype is not just here: it's coast to coast. We are literally the center of attention at the moment for much of the league.

This doesn't usually happen to us. It kinda feels weird. lol

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

I almost wish no one was fully aware of him yet, but it feels good to have a player on the roster some are comparing to the game's best already. He's still a skinny teenager, so it's very exciting to think what he'll become in 5 years time, with Hughes feeding him the puck, Juolevi filling Tanev's skates, Boeser and Dahlen on his wings. Goaltending duo of Demko and DiPietro. And if Virtanen continues to improve and becomes that power forward we've been waiting for. The best is yet to come.  

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, The Lock said:

It's early, but it's funny to see this guy do so well to the point where we might even have our own Matthews or McDavid (note that I said might as I don't want to go too crazy yet lol). Like the hype is not just here: it's coast to coast. We are literally the center of attention at the moment for much of the league.

This doesn't usually happen to us. It kinda feels weird. lol

28 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I almost wish no one was fully aware of him yet, but it feels good to have a player on the roster some are comparing to the game's best already. He's still a skinny teenager, so it's very exciting to think what he'll become in 5 years time, with Hughes feeding him the puck, Juolevi filling Tanev's skates, Boeser and Dahlen on his wings. Goaltending duo of Demko and DiPietro. And if Virtanen continues to improve and becomes that power forward we've been waiting for. The best is yet to come.  

Like you guys, I really prefer NOT to be on the radar.  While it's great that we have a player who has the whole league buzzing, I'm holding my breath because I already see how he's being targeted by guys with egos bigger than their play.   The more he's in the spotlight, the more than intensifies.

He's just too nice a kid to share with the dirty dark side of this league.  Plus, all those commentators who love to hate us?  They can take a flying leap.  I hate praise from those wait in the shadows to see us fall.

While I'm totally enjoying this, it will have peaks and valleys.    As long as Petey takes it all in stride, I will too.

But the idiots who glom on like we're their favourite team ever?  Sure, right.  Go play with string or whatever you used to do before 40 arrived.  I feel very Mama Bear protective.

1 minute ago, TGT68 said:

so EP opens the scoring again.  Canucks have only scored first 4 times this season according to play by play.  How many were EP goals? 

I went back and looked.  EP has 2 goals and 1 assist in those 4 goals when the Canucks scored first.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Honestly, this is gonna rub the Juolevi folks the wrong way but imagine if we drafted Tkachuk instead of Juolevi? A line of Tkachuk - Pettersson - Boeser. That's pretty nasty.

Yup.

But at the risk of sounding rubbed the wrong way, what happens when Juolevi works out his deficiencies?

I mean he’s in the process of becoming an NHL d-man but it’s not like he’s forgotten how to pass. 

When he’s matched with dominant forwards to pass to he might quickly recapture similar magic to junior and WJC that led to his draft position.

Edited by nzan

12 minutes ago, nzan said:

Yup.

But at the risk of sounding rubbed the wrong way, what happens when Juolevi works out his deficiencies?

I mean he’s in the process of becoming an NHL d-man but it’s not like he’s forgotten how to pass. 

When he’s matched with dominant forwards to pass to he might quickly recapture similar magic to junior and WJC that led to his draft position.

if we drafted Tkachuk this means no Pettersson with us today and sure as hell no Quinn Hughes.

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, nzan said:

Yup.

I have 0 issue with Juolevi. I love his game. Simple and sound. Just think finding someone to play with Petey to both produce alongside him and protect him will be very hard. Juolevi I have no doubt will be very good for us for a very long time.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

I have 0 issue with Juolevi. I love his game. Simple and sound. Just think finding someone to play with Petey to both produce alongside him and protect him will be very hard. Juolevi I have no doubt will be very good for us for a very long time.

I liked that Eriksson seemed engaged tonight (though if I’m pettersson I’m frustrated that I keep setting him up for opportunities he doesn’t convert on)...Virtanen could do all of that and ideally start converting those chances while simultaneously playing a space-making and bodyguard-ish game.

• Cheers 1