The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

On 6/19/2019 at 11:45 PM, The 5th Line said:

Ahh yes the Virtanen thread.  900 pages of me supporting my unpopular opinion. Whatever.  You're all eating crow.  

You were the one all along saying he would break out in 2019-20 and put up strong offensive numbers to back up his historically strong defensive play?   Well done!    All of the rest of us thought he was a bust.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

46 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No accuracy for Petey?

Seems like a long shot to win hardest shot considering he’s going up against some big defensemen.

Given that he shot almost 100 MPH at the Canucks superskills last year, he might at least impress. It's unlikely he'll beat Carlson or Weber though.

On 12/16/2019 at 7:27 PM, Gaudette Celly said:

Burkie disagrees.

image.thumb.png.4d95ad14548ce24de44a1eb6cfa1f04e.png

The reason why Marner is below Pettersson is because he is a winger. Marner currently is the better player but as a winger he is not as valuable as what Pettersson will be. You can't really build a franchise around a winger.

12 hours ago, peaches5 said:

The reason why Marner is below Pettersson is because he is a winger. Marner currently is the better player but as a winger he is not as valuable as what Pettersson will be. You can't really build a franchise around a winger.

So... Petes better, you'll say why, you just won't admit it?

14 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

So... Petes better, you'll say why, you just won't admit it?

He isn't better right now. Marner is the better player. Marner already has a 95 point season under his belt. Pettersson played against men in Europe too so it's not much of an excuse to say he has played less. Pettersson needs to get better at faceoffs and become a more complete player which he should but as is right now Marner is the better player. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, peaches5 said:

He isn't better right now. Marner is the better player. Marner already has a 95 point season under his belt. Pettersson played against men in Europe too so it's not much of an excuse to say he has played less. Pettersson needs to get better at faceoffs and become a more complete player which he should but as is right now Marner is the better player. 

I disagree, once again. Marners older, played with better players, and is a winger.

Pettersson plays C, which is undoubtedly a harder position in which Pete has a 64% Corsi while Marner is around 54%. Pete has 51 points to Marners 47. Also a factor to add in is that Petterssons line is +12 on the season, and Marners is... Not even in a playoff spot.

Marners corsi with Tavares is also higher than without. Showing that he is not driving the play as much as Pete.

Pete > Marner all day. You wouldn't find a GM who would swap Pete for Marner, and rightfully so.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

I disagree, once again. Marners older, played with better players, and is a winger.

Pettersson plays C, which is undoubtedly a harder position in which Pete has a 64% Corsi while Marner is around 54%. Pete has 51 points to Marners 47. Also a factor to add in is that Petterssons line is +12 on the season, and Marners is... Not even in a playoff spot.

Marners corsi with Tavares is also higher than without. Showing that he is not driving the play as much as Pete.

Pete > Marner all day. You wouldn't find a GM who would swap Pete for Marner, and rightfully so.

Literally, it's splitting hairs and Brian Burke said as much. Pettersson is above Marner because of the position he plays. Top-line centre has far more value than a top-line winger. As of right now Marner is ahead of Pettersson. Pettersson hasn't even shown he can play at a high level for 82 games. Last year he dropped considerably after 50 games. You have to take that into consideration too. Will he have the same drop off this year? I hope not but we don't know yet.

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

Literally, it's splitting hairs and Brian Burke said as much. Pettersson is above Marner because of the position he plays. Top-line centre has far more value than a top-line winger. As of right now Marner is ahead of Pettersson. Pettersson hasn't even shown he can play at a high level for 82 games. Last year he dropped considerably after 50 games. You have to take that into consideration too. Will he have the same drop off this year? I hope not but we don't know yet.

Marner's 1st season was similar to Pete's 1st, although P had more goals.  Marner's 2nd season he played 5 more games, but only increased his points by 8.

I don't see any reason to think EP will drop off this year.  His increased strength and experience have resulted in fewer hits and no injuries.  He hasn't taken anywhere near the smack downs he had last season.

I his 1st two seasons, Marner had 159 games/41g + 89a   130pts;  so far EP has 120games/49g + 68a  117pts (13pts less than M).

With 31 games left to in the season, I see no reason why EP wouldn't easily rack up ++++13pts and surpass Marners'  stats.  The way he's playing, EP will probably beat out Matthews' 1st two season stats (144games/132pts) if he scores +15pts in the next 24 games.:shock:

It will be interesting to see how EP does in his 3rd season, as that was Marner's breakout year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought the All-star weekend has shown how much Petey has grown since last year. Last year he looked a bit nervous and a bit star--struck maybe? This year he acted with a lot more confidence towards media and on the ice. Its great to see him evolve like this. As expected Weber won the hardest shot but Petey is in the top of the league with the power hes got in his shot in any case. U gotta luv how quick of a release hes got to back up that power also. all in all id say this was a great weekend for him and fun to have Marky and huggy alongside with him. 

On 1/24/2020 at 4:13 PM, peaches5 said:

I wouldn't trade Ep40 for any player on the leafs not named Mathews.  

Although I do think that Ep40 is a better complete player than Mathews.  

You cannot discount position in talking about a players value.  

I don't think Dubas has done a good job with the Laffs.  They should have dealt Nylander vs Kadri and used the savings to add to their very suspect defence.  

Instead the laffs are loaded up front with skilled players without an edge or slot of toughness.  

Sure Marner is a great player, a fantastic forward.  

That said, he has far less responsibility than a center.  What would Elias produce as a winger?  Likely higher point totals.