The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

On 11/20/2017 at 11:54 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

A re-draft of this class would be quite interesting in 5 years time. I think Patrick and Nico are still up there but Pettersson might be the steal of the draft even at 5th overall.

In Forsbergian style?

I guess no one can be the steal of the draft like Forsberg was because he came with 15 million dollars in cash as well as bunch of good roster players. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

Not getting carried away at all. Just watching his highlight reels every game & seeing him do something special every game. This is reality, check it out yourself it's all in this thread.

I'm only describing what type of player I see his playing style like. Carried away would be the others saying he is Gretzky like. 

I don't put pressure on a 5th overall player, that comes with the territory. A top 6 pick has pressure on him no matter what.

I'm just a fan hoping the kid could reach his full potential one day which seems to be pretty high from everyone around here.

If you read some here believe he is better than Hischier & that Pettersson could be the #1 guy in this draft.  

When you draft a player like Pettersson & his high draft position it's ok to dream a little high & have some higher expectations. That's called a fan, and to tell you the truth I think Pettersson has the "potential" to be similar to a Datsyuk/Kane type player.

What's wrong with a little wishful thinking? Especially when the kid is playing lights out.

If only that's how it happened on here.

You are either new to these boards or have an exaggerated opinion of how fair the posters on here can be. Highlight reels can be deceptive, the Swedish league can be deceptive, that is all I'm saying.

I want the player to succeed, so I would rather not add to the pressure that comes with a high draft placing. He is 19 and yet only 170lbs at most. That alone should cause the fans to have patience and not try to inflate his potential until he has had time to develop.

"It’s not without cause that Pettersson has been compared by some to Henrik Zetterberg, being a Timrå product himself, and Pavel Datsyuk. If that doesn’t tell you what level of hockey IQ and puck control we are talking about here, I don’t know what does.

So, why isn’t he a sure thing? Well, what concerns the scouts and NHL teams the most is his physique, or lack thereof, weighing in at 161 lbs. And the fact that Pettersson didn’t respond to the high expectations of him at the 2017 World Junior Championships likely had a negative impact on his draft value.

Pettersson would be a long-time project for any NHL team willing to invest in him. He has a load of potential but without room for guarantees, so it’s difficult to project his draft status. With all his upside abilities in mind, one could easily expect to see him get picked between 10th and 20th in the first round."

https://thehockeywriters.com/elias-pettersson-2017-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

• Cheers 1

He does look like a beauty, and since initially watching his highlights I felt he was a special player and have pegged him onto our 1st line since.  Everyone needs to keep in mind though that not every player transitions properly to the NHL from lesser leagues - especially ones that play on international sized ice. I don't think it will be a problem for him since he's such a smart player but you never know....

As far as his weight goes, I am not concerned.  He's young and has lots of time to put some weight on, and he has the frame to do it.  As someone else mentioned, 190 is likely or maybe even 200 at some point.  Also as has been mentioned, size isn't really a huge deal anymore; as long as he is strong enough to take the hits and stay on his skates he will be fine.

Very excited for this guy.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, khay said:

If Henrik could shoot like Pettersson, I think we have at least 2 cups by now. 

The Sedins are special players; they could keep the puck as long as they want as to slowly break down the opposition's defensive structure, which often led to near open net chances so that they can pass the puck to the open net. I can't think of anyone else being able to do that. But Henrik's inability to shoot the puck led them to pass up on a lot of grade A scoring chances, which led to lesser production than what they could have achieved.

I think with Pettersson, we have a player that can shoot (like Daniel pre-Keith elbow but better) and a player that can see the ice and make the passes (like Henrik). 

The PP is gong to be unreal with Boeser and Pettersson on opposite ends. The 5-on-5 will also be unreal with Pettersson-Horvat-Boeser or even with Pettersson-Horvat as top two centers.

We just need a top 2 D prospect, then we will contend for the years to come.

Hank was lighting it up when Danny was missing in 2010... I think it’s  more an issue of looking for the pass then Not being able to shoot. 

Edited by J-Dizzle
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Hank was lighting it up when Danny was missing in 2010... I think it’s  more an issue of looking for the pass then Not being able to shoot. 

He has a pretty weak shot. Definitely not beating any goalie top shelf.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, khay said:

If Henrik could shoot like Pettersson, I think we have at least 2 cups by now. 

The Sedins are special players; they could keep the puck as long as they want as to slowly break down the opposition's defensive structure, which often led to near open net chances so that they can pass the puck to the open net. I can't think of anyone else being able to do that. But Henrik's inability to shoot the puck led them to pass up on a lot of grade A scoring chances, which led to lesser production than what they could have achieved.

I think with Pettersson, we have a player that can shoot (like Daniel pre-Keith elbow but better) and a player that can see the ice and make the passes (like Henrik). 

The PP is gong to be unreal with Boeser and Pettersson on opposite ends. The 5-on-5 will also be unreal with Pettersson-Horvat-Boeser or even with Pettersson-Horvat as top two centers.

We just need a top 2 D prospect, then we will contend for the years to come.

Yeah I remember that elbow Duncan douche. What a coward to intenually injure one of our stars whom happens to be one of the classiest people you'd ever meet. Someone should've taught kieth a lesson. I agree with your statement. It was fun watching the Sedins in their prime breaking down the play into a chess match in the other teams defensive end. Pettersson is an exceptional talent I'm very glad we have him. If we somehow managed to get that elusive #1 defensman (Dahlin) this year, or next year the cup is ours in the very near future. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

In many ways Henrik and Daniel should have been tried more on separate lines based on Henriks success in that year.  Henrik played his most complete hockey away from Daniel that year and made his linemates better. I also believe that Daniel had the same ability and that the Canucks wasted some

of their potential.  

EmW

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast
  • Cheers 1

18 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

No one's putting pressure on the kid, he's just that good. If he comes in and struggles, no biggie, send him down until he's comfortable.

Ten years ago, sure, now, I don't have an issue with his weight, it's a more skilled and speed based league now, if Keller and Hischier are doing well weighing in at 168 and 175 respectively, don't think his weight is gonna be an issue as long as he comes in around 175lbs next season.

Also, we won't have Willie benching him after he scores his first goal or keeping him off the pp because 'he doesn't know the systems yet' .. ;)

I'M SO EXCITED FOR THIS KID :towel:

I don't even see Green rushing to put him in the line up, never mind benching him and he actually coached him in Utica. Green has shown the same good judgement WD showed dealing with the players.

Most people now see why Goldobin was benched....

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Yeah what a pity you are unable to process this game.

I don't even see Green rushing to put him in the line up, never mind benching him and he actually coached him in Utica. Isn't it embarrassing for YOU that Green has shown the same good judgement WD showed dealing with the players but you are still living in last year's bubble of delusion.

Most people now see why Goldobin was benched but you are still stroking your bias and exposing your suspect judgement. :lol:

Funny lack of perspective from Willie D's mom.

• Cheers 3

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Super excited to see Pettersson over here.  I wonder if he can play for us, like Boeser did last season and Tryamkin the season before, the last 10 or so games this spring?

I am sure that SID can answer this better than I can but I will give it a try. Pettersson;s last home game for the season is going to be March 10th and then they will have their playoffs. Given the strong performance from the Vaxjo team they may be in the playoffs for some time. The Canucks regular season ends in early April so I doubt there would be much time available for Pettersson to get over here at the end of the year.....unfortunately.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Super excited to see Pettersson over here.  I wonder if he can play for us, like Boeser did last season and Tryamkin the season before, the last 10 or so games this spring?

Me too...

But?  Top competing team in the SHL.  Not sure they are expected to make an early exit.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I am sure that SID can answer this better than I can but I will give it a try. Pettersson;s last home game for the season is going to be March 10th and then they will have their playoffs. Given the strong performance from the Vaxjo team they may be in the playoffs for some time. The Canucks regular season ends in early April so I doubt there would be much time available for Pettersson to get over here at the end of the year.....unfortunately.

I can wait until next October:)

• Cheers 2