The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

8 hours ago, PlanB said:

No.  Don't get me wrong he'd be an amazing addition to the core, but they'd still need a big, physically dominant, versatile centerman/forward imo.   No slight on BoHo whatsoever but he shouldn't be the one counted on to go head-to-head with the Benn/Kopitar/Laine types of the league, and JV's probably not that guy either. PLD would've been that guy and JB knew it.

As much as that would be awesome... In the salary cap system there’s only so much you can aquire before everything else starts slipping through your hands.

People want to draft an elite player at every single position - but we’re already pretty darn close.  I’ll run with a top 6 of Bo, Brock, Pettersson and Baertschi supported by Loui/Vanek and other prospects / UFAs who make it.  Bottom 6 we still have Sutter for awhile and Gaudette coming in. 

On D IF we somehow land Dahlin he’s joining at the same time as Juolevi to push the rest of our D into their proper spots on the depth chart.  In other words, I think it makes the whole crew stronger beyond their own immense talent.  

Unless some of those aforementioned pieces don’t pan out there’s no way we’ll be bad enough / have the money to retain a Laine/Benn/Koptiar on top of it all.  That’s okay - I think this team is ready to compete if we actually land Dahlin.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

As much as that would be awesome... In the salary cap system there’s only so much you can aquire before everything else starts slipping through your hands.

People want to draft an elite player at every single position - but we’re already pretty darn close.  I’ll run with a top 6 of Bo, Brock, Pettersson and Baertschi supported by Loui/Vanek and other prospects / UFAs who make it.  Bottom 6 we still have Sutter for awhile and Gaudette coming in. 

On D IF we somehow land Dahlin he’s joining at the same time as Juolevi to push the rest of our D into their proper spots on the depth chart.  In other words, I think it makes the whole crew stronger beyond their own immense talent.  

Unless some of those aforementioned pieces don’t pan out there’s no way we’ll be bad enough / have the money to retain a Laine/Benn/Koptiar on top of it all.  That’s okay - I think this team is ready to compete if we actually land Dahlin.

For a CUP contender the Canucks do not have enough size at forward or defense. 

On 10/15/2017 at 6:59 PM, TheHitman said:

I just want to see the Canucks get a high end goal scorer that can jump to the league immediately. Svechnikov looks like he could be that guy.

At the beginning of the previous season, Pittsburgh was the 27th heaviest team in the league (I just looked it up), meaning they were lighter than the average team.

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

As already shown in evidence by a couple of people, I think the evidence shows that size isn't what defines a cup contender, nor should it be really. Rarely do we see teams like Boston make it and more often we see teams with more faster, skilled players like Pittsburgh and Chicago.

Another example is Winnipeg. They've been a huge team. but until Scheifele and Laine showed up, they were pretty bad. Now they have skill and they're good. Toughness alone did diddly squat.

I think a more accurate description would be "For a cup contender the Canucks need more skill at forward and defense before they should even think about toughness.

I think way too many people on these boards are focused on toughness. I think people remember the Vancouver/Boston series and immediately assume, but it's misleading. It's just one series that has proven to be the "odd one out".

Edited by The Lock

15 minutes ago, The Lock said:

As already shown in evidence by a couple of people, I think the evidence shows that size isn't what defines a cup contender, nor should it be really. Rarely do we see teams like Boston make it and more often we see teams with more faster, skilled players like Pittsburgh and Chicago.

Another example is Winnipeg. They've been a huge team. but until Scheifele and Laine showed up, they were pretty bad. Now they have skill and they're good. Toughness alone did diddly squat.

I think a more accurate description would be "For a cup contender the Canucks need more skill at forward and defense before they should even think about toughness.

I think way too many people on these boards are focused on toughness. I think people remember the Vancouver/Boston series and immediately assume, but it's misleading. It's just one series that has proven to be the "odd one out".

They definitely need more size in our potential top 6 though. 

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

1 hour ago, rekker said:

This

56 minutes ago, KKnight said:

They definitely need more size in our potential top 6 though. 

How do you figure?  I support re-signing Gudbranson and adding some team toughness... but we need to get better before we get bigger.  

In the hypothetical situation where we get Dahlin - He’s 6’2 185 and will fill out.  Juolevi is 6’3 200 and getting stronger.  Bo is 220 and Brock and Baer aren't small at 190+ apiece and have both shown to be strong on the puck.

Again, I like team toughness but I’d rather be fast and skilled than lumbering around the ice.

Playoffs and 5 to 7 game series size matters. You get down to the final eight, final four and two and everyone is skilled. In a series you continually pound each other and size wins if skill is equal. Size has a few more tries at injuring skill in a series. You need some size on D to handle some of the size on the opposition. I agree you need skill and size. We don't have the size yet in my opinion. 

15 hours ago, PlanB said:

No.  Don't get me wrong he'd be an amazing addition to the core, but they'd still need a big, physically dominant, versatile centerman/forward imo.   No slight on BoHo whatsoever but he shouldn't be the one counted on to go head-to-head with the Benn/Kopitar/Laine types of the league, and JV's probably not that guy either. PLD would've been that guy and JB knew it.

Why, Tampa Bay, currently the best team in the league, does not,  their biggest centre is Stamkos (6’1, 194) and they have three centres well under six feet?  The biggest center on Las Vegas is 6’1 200.  Horvat is 6’0 220 - I don’t see the problem.  Our biggest problem is our D, which is neither good defensively, nor on attack.  Getting back Tryamkin would get us back a viable player, but to expect a strong offensive element from him is too much to ask - being able to pair him with a strong, mobile D could well be the way to get the best out of both of them.  But even if we picked a strong offensive D, that is not the end of what we need on D.  Juolevi might help, but that is no guarantee either.  The strongest teams now are deep in quality on the blue line - with the possible exception of Pittsburg - who make up for it with exceptional quality at center (though their quality at C is aging now.

Edited by Ray_Cathode
Spelling

Just now, rekker said:

Playoffs and 5 to 7 game series size matters. You get down to the final eight, final four and two and everyone is skilled. In a series you continually pound each other and size wins if skill is equal. Size has a few more tries at injuring skill in a series. You need some size on D to handle some of the size on the opposition. I agree you need skill and size. We don't have the size yet in my opinion. 

We need skilled size, not just size.  That’s why guys like Bo and Jake are important to our forward group; they are both very heavy bodies.  We have Big Jonah coming soon too.  We should resign Guddy.  Juiolevvi is another heavier body too, and he brings a lot of skill.  Is Gaudette bigger?  I think Lind is a big boy?  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We need skilled size, not just size.  That’s why guys like Bo and Jake are important to our forward group; they are both very heavy bodies.  We have Big Jonah coming soon too.  We should resign Guddy.  Juiolevvi is another heavier body too, and he brings a lot of skill.  Is Gaudette bigger?  I think Lind is a big boy?  

For sure. We are tending in right direction. Depth is big though as well. You lose a guy like Jake and his placement is Goldy. Who would you rather face off in a series? By size I also mean tenacity. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, rekker said:

For sure. We are tending in right direction. Depth is big though as well. You lose a guy like Jake and his placement is Goldy. Who would you rather face off in a series? By size I also mean tenacity. 

I totally agree.  We have too many guys who are way too easy to play against.  

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, rekker said:

Tenacity is an element that both Lind and Gaudette bring along significant offence and aggressiveness.  At his best, I’d hope for a Burrows element from both of them.

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 1:19 PM, Nuck1991 said:

He did disappear little bit in the final game, but rest of the tournament went fine for petterson. He cant score on every shift or even every game. Considering his puck possesion was not high he still managed 4 goals in the tournament. Sweden was counting high on him to generate offense. When he was on ice on Powerplays, everyone was passing him the puck to shoot. He shooting lanes were obviously blocked many times. He was obviously matched against the teams top defenders. Every other team knew this kid is the leading scorer from sweden, they played a lot physical game against him. SHL is not much of physical league. We have to consider that he was playing against some of the best players/prospects not in the NHL. 

Other than that, dont rush the kid, another year in SHL or AHL wont hurt him. This is a marathon not a sprint. He not ready yet but we all know its the just the matter of time before he starts his magic show in nhl, when and not if.

I'm also stoked for EP. However he was fully shown up by Mittlestadt who dominated the tourney and was drafted 8th. EP wasn't even picked as a star for Sweden. I think we need to temper expectations after all Rodin dominated the SHL.  

7 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I'm also stoked for EP. However he was fully shown up by Mittlestadt who dominated the tourney and was drafted 8th. EP wasn't even picked as a star for Sweden. I think we need to temper expectations after all Rodin dominated the SHL.  

Not during his D+1 year. Remember, EP was playing with a flu and was anchored down by Alex Nylander. He made plenty of great passes but in the end it's up to the finisher to actually you know... finish them. :(

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Canucks future top 9 includes. Bo Brock Virtanen Gaudette Gadjo Lind I think the future forward group won't be pushovers.

I think this is why we have to focus on the future and not the now

Move players at the TDL and make smart picks at the draft

IMO, if we can somehow get another 1st, we would be in a fantastic position to pick 2 great Dmen, as well as another forward

I can't hang my hat on winning 1st overall.......but there are enough other great Dmen prospects in the top 20

As for Pettersson, he brings skill, creativity and speed........complimentary things that go with our other prospects........ 

We just have to develop a couple of top end Dmen............

This takes time!.....Just time!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1