The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

On 2018-02-17 at 6:09 PM, canuckledraggin said:

I'm kind of wondering from your comments if you have actually watched Elias play. He does pass the eye test from my point of view. He was put into the 2nd line center role recently and it gives Vaxjo a legitimate 2nd line scoring threat, whereas it was him playing with Calof and Rosen previous that was doing all of the scoring.

Generational is such a loaded and subjective term. Is he a generational talent in Sweden? I'd say so. He's destroying the numbers of players who were superstars in the NHL. Then again there are definitely different eras in hockey that can't be compared and it's folly to do so. Maurice Richard, Bobby Orr, Gretzky and Lemieux simultaneously, Sidney Crosby and possibly Tavares, and now McDavid and Matthews are the players I would put in that category. Does that mean that individual countries can't proclaim that their players as generational based on other players who came before them within their countries program? That's the subjective part as far as I'm concerned. 

As far as Pettersson goes we just don't know until he steps up to that next level that's the eventual proving ground; the NHL. I've read on these forums that Tryamkin could be considered generational. That's far fetched considering that he has played in the NHL and didn't exactly dominate, however his size, skating and physical traits, make him a rare player that only comes around once in a generation like Chara. Is Chara a generational talent based on his play in the NHL? He is as far as the Czech republic is concerned.

As far as a comparison to playing style I'd put him with Jagr. This will obviously rub people the wrong way because he could fit his waist in one leg of Jagr's pants, but the way he puts the puck from one side of his body to the other with his reach and puckhandling ability, makes him the best comparable that I've seen.

I don’t think I articulated myself very well, I was actually trying to suggest that Pettersson passes the eye test. His ability is best seen live in game action. His puck skills are Datsyukian. 

I just think his inflated, borderline historic numbers are giving fans the wrong impression. He’s not generational. He’s just a really good forward who should excel alongside the skill guys we have accumulated. He fits our pool perfectly, and he is the crown jewel of our development plan, of course. I just don’t personally think he’s as far ahead of guys like Dahlen or even Horvat as some fans believe. Boeser isn’t going to let somebody else take over his starring role easily either, there will be internal competition. To me that’s the best part of this group, they all have some degree of gamebreaking ability... together they could do a ton of damage. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, nergish said:

I don’t think I articulated myself very well, I was actually trying to suggest that Pettersson passes the eye test. His ability is best seen live in game action. His puck skills are Datsyukian. 

I just think his inflated, borderline historic numbers are giving fans the wrong impression. He’s not generational. He’s just a really good forward who should excel alongside the skill guys we have accumulated. He fits our pool perfectly, and he is the crown jewel of our development plan, of course. I just don’t personally think he’s as far ahead of guys like Dahlen or even Horvat as some fans believe. Boeser isn’t going to let somebody else take over his starring role easily either, there will be internal competition. To me that’s the best part of this group, they all have some degree of gamebreaking ability... together they could do a ton of damage. 

I tend to believe that highly skilled players do better as they play with better players.  I don't think that EP's numbers are inflated.  I think he is just playing with better players this year who can finish better and pass to him better.  I think that last year's numbers were deflated more by the skill around him in general.  

Of course, what do I know! :huh:

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, CanuckinEdm said:

My hopes are that one of Pettersson or Gaudette turn out to be atleast a 2nd line center, you can work with 2 legit 2nd line centers. 

I think that's a stretch for Gaudette.  I mean, any play might surprise people and do waaaayyy better than expected.  No matter what, he was a great selection in that draft position.  But other players have lit it up in college and then done nothing in the NHL.  If he ens up being a high end 3rd line center, consider me absolutely thrilled.

Pettersson on the other hand, has shown amazing skill even against competition more developed than himself.  He is performing against the odds, and Benning saw something so special in him, he was selected well before expected in the draft. For Pettersson, I don't have 2nd line hopes for him.  I have 1st line hopes - as I don't believe Horvat (as good as he is) will quite be elite enough to be an idea 1st line center and if I'm right then we really NEED him to be that 1st line center.

Also, I said it before and I'll say it again - his weight won't be as much of an issue as some of you think.  With the NHL moving to a skill and speed game, and with tons of time to fill out, he should be just fine.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/21/2018 at 3:35 PM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I love it.

I don't necessarily agree that he'll be a first line center on a contending team in this league, but I'll be beyond thrilled if he can prove me wrong.

Mike Richards and Jonathan Toews aren't offensive juggernauts.... but both were/are considered as legit 1st line centres.  Not every 1st line centre has to be top-tiered offensive stars like Thornton, Crosby, McDavid, etc.  

12 hours ago, kloubek said:

I think that's a stretch for Gaudette.  I mean, any play might surprise people and do waaaayyy better than expected.  No matter what, he was a great selection in that draft position.  But other players have lit it up in college and then done nothing in the NHL.  If he ens up being a high end 3rd line center, consider me absolutely thrilled.

Pettersson on the other hand, has shown amazing skill even against competition more developed than himself.  He is performing against the odds, and Benning saw something so special in him, he was selected well before expected in the draft. For Pettersson, I don't have 2nd line hopes for him.  I have 1st line hopes - as I don't believe Horvat (as good as he is) will quite be elite enough to be an idea 1st line center and if I'm right then we really NEED him to be that 1st line center.

Also, I said it before and I'll say it again - his weight won't be as much of an issue as some of you think.  With the NHL moving to a skill and speed game, and with tons of time to fill out, he should be just fine.  

I was considering Horvat one of those 2nd line centers. I do have really high hopes for Pettersson (top end first line center) but if at worst hes a 60 point guy I wouldn't be upset.

7 hours ago, CanuckinEdm said:

I was considering Horvat one of those 2nd line centers. I do have really high hopes for Pettersson (top end first line center) but if at worst hes a 60 point guy I wouldn't be upset.

I don't really think where he plays is all that important.  a 100 point Pettersson and a 100 point Boeser with an 80 point Horvat between them taking draws, creating space and driving the net will work just fine.  Especially with something like Dahlen Gaudette Lind following that up and something like Gadj Macewen JV following that.  

Adding to this prospect pool while developing what we have will be exciting.  

And having the extra guy that can play center down the road insulates from injuries.  Horvat goes down and you slide Pettersen over and elevate someone else.  Team doesn't lose as much as it does when Horvat goes down right now.  

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

I don't really think where he plays is all that important.  a 100 point Pettersson and a 100 point Boeser with an 80 point Horvat between them taking draws, creating space and driving the net will work just fine.  Especially with something like Dahlen Gaudette Lind following that up and something like Gadj Macewen JV following that.  

Adding to this prospect pool while developing what we have will be exciting.  

And having the extra guy that can play center down the road insulates from injuries.  Horvat goes down and you slide Pettersen over and elevate someone else.  Team doesn't lose as much as it does when Horvat goes down right now.  

You do know how hard 100 points is right?? 

I think Pettersson and Boeser are going to be franchise altering players, but damn. 100 points is like Mcdavid. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, KKnight said:

You do know how hard 100 points is right?? 

I think Pettersson and Boeser are going to be franchise altering players, but damn. 100 points is like Mcdavid. 

Yeah 100 points, while certainly not impossible, is probably setting expectations a little too high. I think the point is that elite wingers can make a middle-six centre (speaking generally and not saying Horvat specifically is middle-six) look like a top line player. 

When it comes to Pettersson, I don’t think his game is all that different inside the offensive zone whether he’s playing C or W. So depending on how he develops, he might be better served by having another player covering the centreman’s positional/defensive responsibilities and handling draws, while letting him play to his strengths as an offensive creator and a sneaky good defensive player on the backcheck, getting in lanes, and stealing loose pucks (but maybe not as strong in a pure positional sense defending centrally).

I dunno. Either way I’m not worried. He’s likely going to provide us with a very good first or second line, whether he’s playing LW, C, or RW, and no matter which players end up being his linemates.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah 100 points, while certainly not impossible, is probably setting expectations a little too high. I think the point is that elite wingers can make a middle-six centre (speaking generally and not saying Horvat specifically is middle-six) look like a top line player. 

When it comes to Pettersson, I don’t think his game is all that different inside the offensive zone whether he’s playing C or W. So depending on how he develops, he might be better served by having another player covering the centreman’s positional/defensive responsibilities and handling draws, while letting him play to his strengths as an offensive creator and a sneaky good defensive player on the backcheck, getting in lanes, and stealing loose pucks (but maybe not as strong in a pure positional sense defending centrally).

I dunno. Either way I’m not worried. He’s likely going to provide us with a very good first or second line, whether he’s playing LW, C, or RW, and no matter which players end up being his linemates.

If we get Dahlin, i expect us to have one of the best powerplays in the league for years. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GrizzlyAdams said:

Elias rips home his 18th of the season! 2 points away from Foppa

18 goals and virtually every one that I have seen looks like it would beat an allstar NHL goalie....this one would for sure.

If he plays with Boeser I can see a couple of 100 point season's happening within a couple years...BB is hurting right now otherwise those wrister's would still be going in...

Those 2 with Bo or even Dahlen or Goldie would put up an amazing amount of points once the chemistry gets going....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1