The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, bree2 said:

like i have said before. some of you are just looking for ep to  fail!!!   he is not failing. so  leave it alone.!!!!

noooo we aren’t!!!!!! We are being cautiously optimistic and not putting crazy expectations and expect him to produce crazy levels!!!!

I remember when some were cautiously optimistic with Boeser, thinking he should start in Utica. Now that we know what he's capable of, there are no more concerns. I expect the same with Pettersson. He won't be tearing it up like he did in Sweden, but I think he'll do well. Playing at the Worlds is great experience, giving him a glimpse of his competition and what it takes to excel.    

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The opinions here, we'll...

The pros (our management) will know what's best for him.

I'm hoping for protected minutes with the big club and let the big club keep a close eye on his diet, workout habits etc.

Green didn't let Boeser have the minutes till he proved himself, why would Green treat EP any differently?

2 hours ago, timberz21 said:

It's just funny that our most injury proned players are usually our big and/or tough guys...Guddy, Sutter, Salo, Edler, Dorsett, while our supposedly "soft" players like the Sedins basically went their whole career without a serious injury (except for Daniel's concussion due to a dirty play)

Can't argue that.  But with this teams propensity to have injuries happen out of the blue....I have no issues with him taking one more year or starting in the line up

2 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Comparing Pettersson to guys like Hischier, Ehlers, Marner, etc. doesn't work because all of those guys are better skaters, have a higher top speed and more agility/balance on their skates. Pettersson's skating is good, but those guys are just simply better.

You HAVE been watching him play, yes?

1 hour ago, Qwags said:

I think of it as being cautiously optimistic. We've never had a prospect of this caliber before, not since Bure.

I agree and disagree with this.  I see Bure as a scorer and this would more equate him with Boeser (Boeser being the shot and Bure being the speed but dangerous scorers are both).  

I say what you said was true in we have NEVER had a prospect like this, EVER.  We never got a Gretzky, or Mario or hawerchuk or Yzerman or Crosby.  What everyone hopes (I think) is that EP is that top tier center we have never had.  And thus everyone is worried we screw this up.  

2 minutes ago, TU90 said:

Elias looks ridiculously comfortable at this level of competition. I'm not sure what people are arguing about here.

He's a slow starter, but once he gets going, he's nearly impossible to stop.

He's the Juggernaut of hockey players.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Qwags said:

Could say slow starter. Or maybe he just takes a game or two to process the competition and then begins to play his game. He seems like a very analytical thinker.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I love that Benning thinks outside the box, sees things in young prospects. If I'm being honest, I never even considered Pettersson as our #5 last year. It was all Glass or Vilardi, or Makar if he was available. Yet, Pettersson could end up being the best draft pick in Canucks history. I'm excited to see who he'll nab with the #7 this year. I could really imagine him picking like Hayton or Veleno, and Canucks Nation going "whaaaaat?" lol But if that's who Benning takes, then I have to trust it's the right choice. There's a lot that goes on, more than just viewing highlight reel videos from YouTube. There's the combine and interviews, all of the scouting reports.    

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I have a feeling the Sedins will be hanging around Rogers Arena occasionally next season lol. I'm not sure they'll be able to stay away and get on with normal life, completely. How great would that be for Pettersson, coming to a new city in a new country, and greeted by the legendary Sedin twins. I'm hoping anyway, that the Sedins remain in the picture, even just behind the scenes, to help Pettersson and Dahlen get accustomed to NA life and being a pro.  

They've got to do something while they're kids are in school ;)

54 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

10 minutes ago, Qwags said:

Everybody back on!!!

56e202d831cbb.jpeg

Edited by aGENT
  • Haha 2

Out of the players JB took last year, 5 or 6 have a decent chances to become NHL players.  Has anyone ever seen that high of a percentage actually becoming players in the NHL?

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

Out of the players JB took last year, 5 or 6 have a decent chances to become NHL players.  Has anyone ever seen that high of a percentage actually becoming players in the NHL?

It's not ever a year later yet.  It won't be that high.  But if JB can do a 2015 quality draft every couple years we will be good.  We might get 4 from that year yet.