The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

22 hours ago, Yung1 said:

Then your argument is inconsistent and has no basis. You can't compare end of their career Sedins to late half of their prime Malkin and Crosby. 

It wasn't so much that the Canucks couldnt score a lot of goals because the Sedins were in on each other's goals, it was that the Sedins were 2nd Line players because they were at the end of their career and the Canucks arguably only had one 1st Line player on the team to replace them last year in Brock Boeser, and before that, no one.

really. Malkin and Crosby can still be split and add depth to their team, Something the Sedins could not do in the later years. And basically I agree with the Sedins being second line players, But but not really good enough 5 on 5.

13 minutes ago, cory40 said:

really. Malkin and Crosby can still be split and add depth to their team, Something the Sedins could not do in the later years. And basically I agree with the Sedins being second line players, But but not really good enough 5 on 5.

You're missing my point. Im not at all trying to argue that the sedins were good players last year. I'm addressing your argument that the sedins are easier to replace because they could not be split up. Your basis for that argument is the example of Malkin and Crosby, which makes no sense because they doubled the point totals of the sedins last year. The correct comparable is Anthony Mantha and Henrik Zetterberg. A center and a winger who had the virtually the same point totals as the sedins last year and were split between the 1st and 2nd lines. The result of this more direct and sensible comparable? A team that finished 1 spot below us in the standings.

The Sedins led the highest scoring offence when they were at their peak.

The lack of Canuck goals last year had nothing to do with not being able to split the Sedins and everything to do with the quality of players they had degraded to.

18 hours ago, nergish said:

With EP the main issue is not with spelling/grammar, but pronunciation! 

The man himself said "PEE-TER-son" but everybody in Sweden does call him "PETT-ER-son"... (the latter seems more authentically Swedish).

It's the first name that I have issue with people mispronouncing; it's "Eh-Lee-Us" not "Ee-Lie-Us". :)

The way Swedish announcers say his name gives me goose bumps

30 minutes ago, Yung1 said:

You're missing my point. Im not at all trying to argue that the sedins were good players last year. I'm addressing your argument that the sedins are easier to replace because they could not be split up. Your basis for that argument is the example of Malkin and Crosby, which makes no sense because they doubled the point totals of the sedins last year. The correct comparable is Anthony Mantha and Henrik Zetterberg. A center and a winger who had the virtually the same point totals as the sedins last year and were split between the 1st and 2nd lines. The result of this more direct and sensible comparable? A team that finished 1 spot below us in the standings.

The lack of Canuck goals last year had nothing to do with not being able to split the Sedins and everything to do with the quality of players they had degraded to.

I never understood , why they were not split up in the last few years?

Both are great passers, they could have brought offence to 2 lines with younger faster linemates  playing with each of them

It would have also made Henrik more of a threat to shoot instead of people knowing the pass was going to Daniel or ? (like when Daniel was injured that year)

4 hours ago, Yung1 said:

O.K lets spell it out slow. Two Sedins scored points like one player because they could not be split up. And yes Malkin and Crosby are better players. So if your having trouble under standing I will say player A and player B put up 60 points each on a team and it translated to 90 goals because they could play on different lines and be put together when the going was tough. Daniel and Henrick could not be split up like player  A and player B on the un named team that I used for an example. Now I won't confuse you with names of players that are better or worse. And I am not blaming the Sedins for lack of Canuck goals last year. I am saying they will be replaced very easily and the Canucks won't be any worse than they were last year, In fact they can only get better in my simple point of VIEW> 

4 minutes ago, cory40 said:

O.K lets spell it out slow. Two Sedins scored points like one player because they could not be split up. And yes Malkin and Crosby are better players. So if your having trouble under standing I will say player A and player B put up 60 points each on a team and it translated to 90 goals because they could play on different lines and be put together when the going was tough. Daniel and Henrick could not be split up like player  A and player B on the un named team that I used for an example. Now I won't confuse you with names of players that are better or worse. And I am not blaming the Sedins for lack of Canuck goals last year. I am saying they will be replaced very easily and the Canucks won't be any worse than they were last year, In fact they can only get better in my simple point of VIEW> 

But what everyone is telling you is the twins could be split up.  Just like they were every time one was injured.  The other one didn't sit in the press box, he played and played as well as when his twin was available. (Actually you could argue better if you look at the stats). 

The other thing you are not listening to is simply, it does not work like that.  6 guys on the ice from each team.  Players assist in others goals most of the time.  I believe the stat is that the NHL has on average 1.2 assists per goal.  While Henrik and Daniel were both in on a crazy large percentage of the same goals, does it matter if EP scores 30 goals and one guys assists on every goal or 20 guys get the assists if the number of goals and assists is the same?  It doesn't. And we still need to replace two contributing players.  

Note the Canucks are the advantage of chemistry so much they have a system of drafting players who have chemistry already.  EP and Dahlen for example.  Duos are all the rage and the Canucks are right there at the cutting edge.  

I just really think you see the your own way and don't wish to hear what others are saying.  

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, cory40 said:

Dude, I get what youre saying. Its just that your hypothesis that less goals were scored because the sedins were on the same line makes no sense because the sedins led the highest scoring offence in the entire league and the height of their careers.

Maybe the fact that they were on the same line actually helped them to be more dominant and overwhelming on oppositions? I dont know for sure, but the evidence supports that theory much more than it supports yours.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Yung1 said:

Dude, I get what youre saying. Its just that your hypothesis that less goals were scored because the sedins were on the same line makes no sense because the sedins led the highest scoring offence in the entire league and the height of their careers.

Maybe the fact that they were on the same line actually helped them to be more dominant and overwhelming on oppositions? I dont know for sure, but the evidence supports that theory much more than it supports yours.

Regardless, Pettersson will out score a Twin and a half this season.  

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Regardless, Pettersson will out score a Twin and a half this season.  

And probably the balance will be taken up by several players.  Improvement from Boeser, Bo, Virtanen, Sutter (with a more offensive role), addition of Roussel, Schaller and whoever we keep of Dahlen, Gaudette, Leipsic, and Goldobin.  

Hopefully that nets an increase in total goals.  

Edited by TGT68
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

And probably the balance will be taken up by several players.  Improvement from Boeser, Bo, Virtanen, Sutter (with a more offensive role), addition of Roussel, Schaller and whoever we keep of Dahlen, Gaudette, Leipsic, and Goldobin.  

Hopefully that nets an increase in total goals.  

We will be tougher defensively, but will still have a tough time scoring.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TGT68 said:

But what everyone is telling you is the twins could be split up.  Just like they were every time one was injured.  The other one didn't sit in the press box, he played and played as well as when his twin was available. (Actually you could argue better if you look at the stats). 

The other thing you are not listening to is simply, it does not work like that.  6 guys on the ice from each team.  Players assist in others goals most of the time.  I believe the stat is that the NHL has on average 1.2 assists per goal.  While Henrik and Daniel were both in on a crazy large percentage of the same goals, does it matter if EP scores 30 goals and one guys assists on every goal or 20 guys get the assists if the number of goals and assists is the same?  It doesn't. And we still need to replace two contributing players.  

Note the Canucks are the advantage of chemistry so much they have a system of drafting players who have chemistry already.  EP and Dahlen for example.  Duos are all the rage and the Canucks are right there at the cutting edge.  

I just really think you see the your own way and don't wish to hear what others are saying.  

I hear what your saying. And I get it. The twins were never split up and the reason you never noticed when one was hurt ,Is exactly what I am saying they would still set up the same amount of goals with one of the twins or both on the ice and is exactly why I am saying they will be replaced very easily and we will be a better team moving forward.

• Wat 1

20 hours ago, luckylager said:

Love those guys but I disagree- Players on a consistent, premier second line don't end the season (-30). Especially when they're also PP1 and don't PK.

Their Dzone play was frequently hard to watch, and not in a sense that I was angry, but their own zone play had gotten so bad that I was genuinely in the 12 stages of grief before they even announced retirement.

The Canucks need to replace 30ish goals and that doesn't take the (-30's) into account.

I was posting things like this all year.

that-backpass-on-the-power-play-is-older

and

FB4MRNl.png&key=b28e5558f412ff1f350e31ed

Totally looking forward to a NEW BRAND of hockey.

Edited by xereau
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, cory40 said:

I hear what your saying. And I get it. The twins were never split up and the reason you never noticed when one was hurt ,Is exactly what I am saying they would still set up the same amount of goals with one of the twins or both on the ice and is exactly why I am saying they will be replaced very easily and we will be a better team moving forward.

...doesn’t work like that man. I think seeing double all these years has you confused.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

...doesn’t work like that man. I think seeing double all these years has you confused.

I tend to agree with you. Even though they spent probably 90 % or more of their time together, it does not factor in goals by other players on the line with them. Thomas Vanek and Alex Burrows are decent examples of that. Perhaps a better gauge of their replacement value would be the total points accumulated between them. If you use that metric, we need to replace approximately 105 points with whomever fills their shoes on that line.

54 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

Yeh why two really good players never gave Vancouver 2 really good lines, anyways I understand your view and stand pat on the Canucks will score more goals this year and will not look back at the retirement of two really good players.

• Upvote 1

On 8/19/2018 at 6:16 PM, Bovechkin said:

BRUHHH. This forum can't figure out the right way to spell a player's name.....you want to pile on and add pronunciation to the tasks at hand? You overestimate us ;) 

and to top it all off

we are now being force fed funky math theories on this thread

please just stop that math stuff

or move it to some other thread

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, cory40 said:

Yeh why two really good players never gave Vancouver 2 really good lines, anyways I understand your view and stand pat on the Canucks will score more goals this year and will not look back at the retirement of two really good players.

Agree on all points. 

On 2018-08-19 at 10:16 PM, Bovechkin said:

BRUHHH. This forum can't figure out the right way to spell a player's name.....you want to pile on and add pronunciation to the tasks at hand? You overestimate us ;) 

Schools out for summer and now we elocution class???!!!  

WTF is going on?  

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1