The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

10 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Yeah, must be a fragile psyche. His poor start couldn't possibly have anything to do with missing training camp after not playing for over half a year with a serious wrist injury. With all that rest he should have just exploded out of the gate, right?

Hughes missed training camp as well, and he indeed played pretty ok out of the gate. Training camp is a good way to hit the ground running, but I'm sorry, playing months in the NHL is a pretty good substitute. Besides that, this isn't 50 years ago when players were expected to use training camp to get into shape. Today, players are expected to train over the offseason and training camp is really there to shake off rust and to find the right line combinations. It's also only a couple of weeks, so how much of a "grace period" do you think is appropriate for a 7 1/2 million dollar player to get back into form while playing in an even higher intensity setting than training camp? A month? Two? Three?

Sure, Hughes didn't have an injury but anyone who actually watched the games could see that it wasn't just Petey's wrist that was bothering him. He was making highly poor decisions, and his skating and edgework were terrible. His confidence was shot and everyone knew it and commented publicly about it, including Canucks players and staff and I thought Petey himself - though I cannot find a quote to give you. I could understand that with his injury maybe his scoring wouldn't be up to par, but it wasn't just his scoring - he was literally a detriment to the team for quite a while - to the point that "fans" were questioning if he was even the real deal. Pettersson himself said in mid-November: "The wrist isn't bugging me at all. I don't feel any pain or anything to hold me back", but I suppose you had the inside scoop Pettersson himself wasn't aware of.

It always amuses me when people get all uppity like they have all the answers, yet, ignore blatant facts.

On 6/23/2017 at 4:41 PM, messier's_elbow said:

Over Vilardi and Glass? Fire Benning please. 

Edit: After a few hours to let the pick sink in, I don't hate it. I'd still rather have Vilardi or Glass but if Petterson can fill out he looks like he could be a good player. His stats in his men's league are quite good. I'll give him a chance. 

On 6/23/2017 at 4:42 PM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Hope to God the gamble pays off. Both Glass AND Vilardi were still available......Ugh.

On 6/23/2017 at 4:42 PM, DeltaSwede said:

Vilardi? 

Glass? 

On 6/23/2017 at 4:43 PM, messier's_elbow said:

I'm serious Vilardi will be the best player from the draft. Glass would have been better as well. Benning sucks. 

Because I was reading the Miller trade thread, I had to come back to my second favourite fan reaction thread on this site.

Anyway, career update for Glass, Vilardi, and Pettersson all in their D+5 year:

The safe picks:

Vilardi: 87 GP, 16 G, 17 A, 33 P

Glass: 73 GP, 9 G, 14 A, 23 P

Both have constantly been jumping between the NHL and the minors for the last several years.

The Bustaroo Bonzai (or so heralded by several right after the draft):

Pettersson: 239 GP, 94 G, 122 A, 216 P

Just shows so many people that noone ever knows exactly how good a player is at the draft.  Actually, the worse a certain draft pick or trade is received, the better it probably is because the popular picks are generally overhyped and therefore overrated inflating their value.  Meanwhile, another player like Pettersson, or trade like Miller is severely underrated and therefore turn out better because their value was deflated by the lack of hype.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

Because I was reading the Miller trade thread, I had to come back to my second favourite fan reaction thread on this site.

The safe picks:

Both have constantly been jumping between the NHL and the minors for the last several years.

Just shows so many people that noone ever knows exactly how good a player is at the draft.  Actually, the worse a certain draft pick or trade is received, the better it probably is because the popular picks are generally overhyped and therefore overrated inflating their value.  Meanwhile, another player like Pettersson, or trade like Miller is severely underrated and therefore turn out better because their value was deflated by the lack of hype.

I wanted Mittelstadt out of the popular options but was happy enough with the pick. I think people here tend to sightly overvalue the Canadian prospects due to exposure.

1 hour ago, Rindiculous said:

The safe picks:

Meh. I'd rather state my opinion, risk being wrong and that five years later someone will find that statement and quote it as some sort of "gotcha" than sit quietly and shut up.

It's not the first pick I've been wrong about and it certainly won't be the last.

• Vintage 1

50 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Meh. I'd rather state my opinion, risk being wrong and that five years later someone will find that statement and quote it as some sort of "gotcha" than sit quietly and shut up.

It's not the first pick I've been wrong about and it certainly won't be the last.

The Petey we are seeing these last couple months is a friggn’ steal at his cap hit.  

Im trying to think of a better 200 foot centre.  Sid?  Bergeron?  Petey puts up a lot of points, while being fantastic defensively.  

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The Petey we are seeing these last couple months is a friggn’ steal at his cap hit.  

Im trying to think of a better 200 foot centre.  Sid?  Bergeron?  Petey puts up a lot of points, while being fantastic defensively.  

If he can keep his current level of play up over the course of a full season next year, look the &^@# out. I still have worries about his size and strength, but if he can be effective despite his size, then it really doesn't matter much. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

If he can keep his current level of play up over the course of a full season next year, look the &^@# out. I still have worries about his size and strength, but if he can be effective despite his size, then it really doesn't matter much. 

he could be a selke winner in the future if he works at it and ups his FO game, Miller can mentor keep miller and Boudreaux

On 4/13/2022 at 9:36 PM, WeneedLumme said:

Yeah, must be a fragile psyche. His poor start couldn't possibly have anything to do with missing training camp after not playing for over half a year with a serious wrist injury. With all that rest he should have just exploded out of the gate, right?

I recall Pete saying that he'd made poor choices in his off season training.  He mentioned that he'd

not been on the ice until he left Sweden.  It seems like he spent the balk of his time practicing his

shot.  Highly doubtful there was much in the way of strengthening exercise either.

I thought he appeared sluggish, his timing was off and he was constantly getting pushed around

by the opposition (remember the Bambi comments).

Imo, Pete will have to spend his offseason training like the Sedins.  It took them 4 seasons before they

could handle the physical abuse in the NHL (remember the Sedin Sisters). 

• Like 1

I was on the Glass train not gonna lie...  He's had a really good year in the AHL though we could see a late bloomer with him.

Petey is fantastic but still needs to badly gain 8-10 pounds this summer if he can.  He still get's chucked down to the ice and loses a few more board battles than he could win with just a bit more strength.  Kid will be a Barkov 2.0 with 10 more pounds on him 

On 4/20/2022 at 1:41 AM, Canucks Curse said:

he could be a selke winner in the future if he works at it and ups his FO game, Miller can mentor keep miller and Boudreaux

God, Miller can't mentor a guy like Petey.

Petey is the next generation. 

Miller can learn a lot from Petey but he won't ever say he does that. 

On 4/19/2022 at 6:03 PM, King Loui said:

I was on the Glass train not gonna lie...  He's had a really good year in the AHL though we could see a late bloomer with him.

Petey is fantastic but still needs to badly gain 8-10 pounds this summer if he can.  He still get's chucked down to the ice and loses a few more board battles than he could win with just a bit more strength.  Kid will be a Barkov 2.0 with 10 more pounds on him 

To be fair, during his first year, Glass had a pretty good pre-season for the Knights. I remember watching him then, and he seemed one step ahead of everybody on offense. At the time, I really thought that Jim Benning blew it. But because of the logjam among the vets, Cody couldn't make it. Then, he had a severe knee injury.

Btw, I just checked, and he has 60 points (14 goals, 46 assists) in 63 AHL games this year so he still has a chance.

Edited by Vinny in Vancouver

On 4/13/2022 at 1:29 PM, Addison Rae said:

We are watching a superstar develop in front of our eyes. He has this innate ability to elevate his game in big moments, we saw it in the playoffs in 2020 where he scored at over a PPG rate, he won playoff MVP in a mens league at 19. This player is the future of the franchise, he plays at both ends of the rink, has the will to win and is one of the most talented players in the history of the Canucks franchise.  

The ridiculous sentiment on this player a few weeks ago was absurd, he was dealing with a severe wrist injury in a horrible offensive system under Travis Green. Pettersson is finding his groove and with a full summer and training camp I firmly believe that this guy can challenge for the Hart next season. 

That maybe true, but Pettersson is no way a superstar in the NHL at this stage of his career.  Until he can play at the level of Pavel Datsyuk/Henrik Zetterberg on both sides of the puck on a nightly basis, he'll be a good/gifted player with the POTENTIAL to be a superstar.  Pettersson couldn't crack the top 50 in scoring this season, and that is what he's paid $7M+ to do.  An offensive player who's career PPG is slightly above 0.9 is not a superstar in my books. 

A couple of two-way dominating seasons like Barkov/Bergeron/Toews, or a couple of 100+ point seasons will be a conversation starter.  Til he's done that, Pettersson is not even close to being a superstar. 

And for the love of God, Pettersson needs to stop being a human zamboni.  They've got machines to clean the ice. 

On 4/13/2022 at 1:29 PM, Addison Rae said:

We are watching a superstar develop in front of our eyes. He has this innate ability to elevate his game in big moments, we saw it in the playoffs in 2020 where he scored at over a PPG rate, he won playoff MVP in a mens league at 19. This player is the future of the franchise, he plays at both ends of the rink, has the will to win and is one of the most talented players in the history of the Canucks franchise.  

The ridiculous sentiment on this player a few weeks ago was absurd, he was dealing with a severe wrist injury in a horrible offensive system under Travis Green. Pettersson is finding his groove and with a full summer and training camp I firmly believe that this guy can challenge for the Hart next season. 

Only Pavel Bure and Alex Mogilny had more pure talent than Petey.  He is a superstar in the making and will challenge for major NHL trophies in the not too distant future.

An argument can be made that he is the most valuable player on the Canucks.  A superstar #1 centre may be the hardest piece to acquire.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Only Pavel Bure and Alex Mogilny had more pure talent than Petey.  He is a superstar in the making and will challenge for major NHL trophies in the not too distant future.

An argument can be made that he is the most valuable player on the Canucks.  A superstar #1 centre may be the hardest piece to acquire.  

The only untouchables on our club are Demko, Hughes, and Petey.  Sure wish Benning had the cap space last off season to sign Petey to an 8 year deal.

• Upvote 1

During the first half of this yearI was worried E.P. was going to be "just " a point per game guy; but his play over the last few months indicates he will reach superstar level.

Get ready to pay this guy in the $10 mill per season range.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

During the first half of this yearI was worried E.P. was going to be "just " a point per game guy; but his play over the last few months indicates he will reach superstar level.

Get ready to pay this guy in the $10 mill per season range.

Petey will get 80 million on his next deal, and that’s great for us.  Petey is a true superstar number one centre, who plays as well without the puck as he does with it.  And having him is exactly why Miller or Bo must go.  

• Upvote 2

On 4/19/2022 at 8:20 PM, Alflives said:

Petey has the same anticipation of Datsyuk and or Forsberg over two hundred feet, when both knew when to intercept a pass before it left the players stick.  

It’s a killer over a seven game series.  Give away counter play that takes away teams mojo faster than a snake bit goalie.  

the more reps, the more give aways,  the more goals that come on breakaways, two on ones as the other team is caught going up ice. 

That is were I would put his play, but forsberg was a winger PF.  

With the reach, the build, it’s hard. 

I think he has a Ron Francis type of consistency and style that will develop, with more defence, two way play that was Datsyuk.  

He has a Viking in him, he managed to bulk up this last off season, maybe a reason for his slow start. 

I see him as the second option for face offs, always, but becoming a good solid Center, that is the first option for the PP, unless Miller and Bo are out playing him… then he goes to wing.   

He needs to bring a full year of the second half play of this year to truly become the guy he clearly can become.  

this team has never had this deep of a Center ice.  

This good and deep of wingers, except for Linden and Naslund teams, and the best D man and drafted goalie of all club history. 

Bruce is the has the best winning percentage of any coach and we have never had a President of Hockey that had two or three cup rings… 

or that the media liked… so take it and run…

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Petey has the same anticipation of Datsyuk and or Forsberg over two hundred feet, when both knew when to intercept a pass before it left the players stick.  

It’s a killer over a seven game series.  Give away counter play that takes away teams mojo faster than a snake bit goalie.  

the more reps, the more give aways,  the more goals that come on breakaways, two on ones as the other team is caught going up ice. 

That is were I would put his play, but forsberg was a winger PF.  

With the reach, the build, it’s hard. 

I think he has a Ron Francis type of consistency and style that will develop, with more defence, two way play that was Datsyuk.  

He has a Viking in him, he managed to bulk up this last off season, maybe a reason for his slow start. 

I see him as the second option for face offs, always, but becoming a good solid Center, that is the first option for the PP, unless Miller and Bo are out playing him… then he goes to wing.   

He needs to bring a full year of the second half play of this year to truly become the guy he clearly can become.  

this team has never had this deep of a Center ice.  

This good and deep of wingers, except for Linden and Naslund teams, and the best D man and drafted goalie of all club history. 

Bruce is the has the best winning percentage of any coach and we have never had a President of Hockey that had two or three cup rings… 

or that the media liked… so take it and run…

Maybe our best move is to run with Bruce leading this club for Petey’s two years at his current cap?

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Petey will get 80 million on his next deal, and that’s great for us.  Petey is a true superstar number one centre, who plays as well without the puck as he does with it.  And having him is exactly why Miller or Bo must go.  

We have a ton of time and it’s not like trading a player of Bo’s or Miller’s caliber is a hard thing to accomplish, at any price. 

There will be takers.. guarantee Miller brings back more than a late first and third, what JB paid to get him, and Bo could easily get more than the 9th pick this year, so we have a asset rich scenario and time.  Petey just got the first of three years.. he also likes it here.  

as bad as it will be for him to miss the post season, he will also likely shoulder the blame himself with his slow start.  Not winning, it’s something Petey hates, but in a healthy way.  

With Alvin and the management team, I see the club moving in the same direction of the Canes, Pens and others, with the stronger players are paired, and then as a player here or there gets too rich, then the club has a good idea of what type of player and style of prospect to search for to pair with a veteran as everyone climbs and falls the depth chart and cap chart.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

The only untouchables on our club are Demko, Hughes, and Petey.  Sure wish Benning had the cap space last off season to sign Petey to an 8 year deal.

Petey was never going to sign an 8 year extension last year. Luckily they got Quinn for 6 years. 

Petey played this perfectly. By the time his current contract is up his next contract will allow him to become the first $10 million player in Vancouver Canucks history. JR will need to plan accordingly. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Upvote 1