The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

3 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Also on-board with this call. Hope he gets in 30-40 AHL tilts, & returns hungry in the last quarter of the season. Kid needs ice time.

Yeah, I have no issue with the demotion, as a development decision. It’ll probably be better for Rathbone, long term, to get some time away from the current NHL team and it’s team-wide struggles.

I just don’t really see it as performance based, as he’s hardly been our worst defenseman. I’d probably rate him 4th or 5th, on player performance and overall statistical results, among the 8 D’s who’ve played minutes so far this season. 

But with the roster, as currently constructed, with our two most valuable and talented defensemen both being LHDs, and all our other Dmen being waiver eligible, it made sense for Rathbone to be the player making way, to create an opening for Hamonic.

• Vintage 1

56 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, I have no issue with the demotion, as a development decision. It’ll probably be better for Rathbone, long term, to get some time away from the current NHL team and it’s team-wide struggles.

I just don’t really see it as performance based, as he’s hardly been our worst defenseman. I’d probably rate him 4th or 5th, on player performance and overall statistical results, among the 8 D’s who’ve played minutes so far this season. 

But with the roster, as currently constructed, with our two most valuable and talented defensemen both being LHDs, and all our other Dmen being waiver eligible, it made sense for Rathbone to be the player making way, to create an opening for Hamonic.

I hope Rathbone can excel while in Abby and make a case for him to be a full time player in the NHL. Since he will no longer be waiver exempt next year , some major decisions will have to be made on the LD.

• Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I hope Rathbone can excel while in Abby and make a case for him to be a full time player in the NHL. Since he will no longer be waiver exempt next year , some major decisions will have to be made on the LD.

IMHO Rathbone can be a 2LD on this team. Some time in Abby to refine his d-game. Spot duty throughout the season and he starts next fall at 195 pounds. :) 

• Vintage 1

43 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

IMHO Rathbone can be a 2LD on this team. Some time in Abby to refine his d-game. Spot duty throughout the season and he starts next fall at 195 pounds. :) 

for myself I think he is down in Abby to learn and simplyfy his game. I think he seems to making his game too complicated? He sees Hughes garnering praise and wants part of that glory?? You have to play within yourself/own abilities. How Hughes is allowd to get away with some of his choices still has me scratching my head

47 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

The question will be what do you do with OEL, Quinn and Rathbone all on the same side? Do they move Quinn to the right side; or do they trade one of them for a big imposing LHD that can make decent passes but more known for his physical play and clearing out the front of the net

2 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

The question will be what do you do with OEL, Quinn and Rathbone all on the same side? Do they move Quinn to the right side; or do they trade one of them for a big imposing LHD that can make decent passes but more known for his physical play and clearing out the front of the net

I tend to think Vcr is an easy team to play against

This will pay big dividends for the Canucks and Jack.

I said that he would be better served to start the season in Abbotsford logging heavy minutes and getting looks to play roles he isn't used to. Evidently with OEL and Hughes taking up all the offensive looks, Jack needs to develop his defensive game. I'd get him out there in Abby to see PK minutes and match up minutes to. He is really going to help out that blueline.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

On 11/1/2021 at 6:18 PM, fanfor42 said:

Rathbone was disappointing to start the season but it really is on Green.  He muzzled him. Rathbone was given very limited minutes and is on a leash so he can't be creative.  In Abby he will excel as he is a talented kid. Don't forget he played with Adam Fox in college for a year.

Green sends him down the day before we play Fox. Yup.  That's Green.  Gonna send the message I am in charge...that is until he gets fired.  Which is coming.

There are two $7,000,000 LD playing in front of this rookie.  Do you play them less minutes than Rathbone?

• Vintage 4

Green sends him down the day before we play Fox. Yup.  That's Green.  Gonna send the message I am in charge...that is until he gets fired.  Which is coming.

It's not Green's job to send players down or call players up - that's on JB. 

Green may have his faults as a coach, but 'ego' has never been one of them in my view. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Rathbone was disappointing to start the season but it really is on Green.  He muzzled him. Rathbone was given very limited minutes and is on a leash so he can't be creative.  In Abby he will excel as he is a talented kid. Don't forget he played with Adam Fox in college for a year.

Strongly disagree with you. Putting a kid out there for more minutes, when he's already struggling against NHL players, is how you destroy a player, not build their confidence.

Abbotsford is where he should have been at the start of the season, but we were short on NHL ready defense due to injuries.

Give him 2 months down there to work on his defensive coverage and decision making and he'll be back.

Did you see the look on his face when he made the really bad pass to the middle of the ice in his own zone that resulted in a goal? That was the look of a kid who is in over his head and knows it.

33 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Strongly disagree with you. Putting a kid out there for more minutes, when he's already struggling against NHL players, is how you destroy a player, not build their confidence.

Abbotsford is where he should have been at the start of the season, but we were short on NHL ready defense due to injuries.

Give him 2 months down there to work on his defensive coverage and decision making and he'll be back.

Did you see the look on his face when he made the really bad pass to the middle of the ice in his own zone that resulted in a goal? That was the look of a kid who is in over his head and knows it.

Rathbone will learn and maybe Abbotsford is part of his journey BUT he will be a NHL defenceman more so than the other options Vcr are carrying on the roster. He will excel in Abby but I doubt that will teach him the lessons he needs to learn. The AHL is too easy for him and I doubt he will be challenged. Bottom line unfortunately for him he is waiver free. You take a look at the bottom end of the Canucks roster and it's a hodge podge of lower grade players. It's a shame he missed the NYR and his buddy Fox but I suspect that's more to do with the travel plans of Abbys team

Nothing wrong with Jack’s play on the big team this year (other than that one game, from which he bounced back nicely in the next game) but I have zero issues with him going down to Abby to work on his game and play tons of minutes in all sorts of situations. Heck, it’s going to improve the entertainment value and team of quality of the baby Nucks as well.

Tanev had a very similar start to his career with the Nucks back in the day, bouncing between the AHL and the big team until one day he just stuck with the big team….and became a fixture here for many, many years. See the same happening with J-Bone. 

Edited by Locke Lamora

22 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Rathbone will learn and maybe Abbotsford is part of his journey BUT he will be a NHL defenceman more so than the other options Vcr are carrying on the roster. He will excel in Abby but I doubt that will teach him the lessons he needs to learn. The AHL is too easy for him and I doubt he will be challenged. Bottom line unfortunately for him he is waiver free. You take a look at the bottom end of the Canucks roster and it's a hodge podge of lower grade players. It's a shame he missed the NYR and his buddy Fox but I suspect that's more to do with the travel plans of Abbys team

I have no doubt that he will be an NHL defenseman, but rushing a kid who isn't ready, is NOT a good development path. Look over at Edmonton for the last 12 years for evidence of that.

Rathbone needs some work on making decisions in his own end of the ice, and AHL is by far, a better place for him to work on that

• Cheers 1

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

I have no doubt that he will be an NHL defenseman, but rushing a kid who isn't ready, is NOT a good development path. Look over at Edmonton for the last 12 years for evidence of that.

Rathbone needs some work on making decisions in his own end of the ice, and AHL is by far, a better place for him to work on that

You could say that for Hughes too, I know this isn't a populat concept but his defensive game ( better this season ) is not a shining example of how to play defense. But they stick with him because the pluses are greater than the negative IMO

37 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

You could say that for Hughes too, I know this isn't a populat concept but his defensive game ( better this season ) is not a shining example of how to play defense. But they stick with him because the pluses are greater than the negative IMO

Hughes is a completely different level than Rathbone, he does make some mistakes, but he is also far better defensively in his own zone and is far more advanced in compensating for his lack of size against stronger forwards. He was far better on that, when he came to the Canucks. He was used extensively by team USA in international play against men, because he was generally strong in his own zone.

He still has things to work on, but when he concentrates in his own zone, he doesn't make the same mistakes that Rathbone does.

Rathbone is going to be a really good player for us, but I think you will have trouble finding guys on this board, who don't believe that he would benefit from a couple of months in Abbotsford, working on his defensive zone coverage and how to handle larger forwards.

Interesting take by Craig Button on  the Donny and Dhali show where he said the Canucks are trying to cover the poor defensive core by using the forwards to cover up, which he felt was wrong. Basically you don't throw away your stregnth to over come your eakness. He sai the forwards were good and our wasting their talent by using them mostly on defence. Funny enough Horvat said the same but in a different way ie just becauuse we're playing more defensive we don't need to give up on offense

2 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Interesting take by Craig Button on  the Donny and Dhali show where he said the Canucks are trying to cover the poor defensive core by using the forwards to cover up, which he felt was wrong. Basically you don't throw away your stregnth to over come your eakness. He sai the forwards were good and our wasting their talent by using them mostly on defence. Funny enough Horvat said the same but in a different way ie just becauuse we're playing more defensive we don't need to give up on offense

When we were down 2 in the third I feel like the players changed their strategy.

They started to open things up and trade chances with the Rangers and it paid off.

When you have a goalie like Demko back there you can afford to take chances. Sitting back and letting the other team dictate play will not equal success.

This coaching staff needs to play to their teams strength and that’s offense not defense. You can’t give up completely on defense but we can definitely afford to press more and take risks.

Good teams still give up chances, they just have a strong transition game. Which is what we need to focus on. Don’t get the puck and hand it right back to the opposition on a dump and chase.

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

When we were down 2 in the third I feel like the players changed their strategy.

They started to open things up and trade chances with the Rangers and it paid off.

When you have a goalie like Demko back there you can afford to take chances. Sitting back and letting the other team dictate play will not equal success.

This coaching staff needs to play to their teams strength and that’s offense not defense. You can’t give up completely on defense but we can definitely afford to press more and take risks.

Good teams still give up chances, they just have a strong transition game. Which is what we need to focus on. Don’t get the puck and hand it right back to the opposition on a dump and chase.

maybe with Hamonic we can get some pressure off the forwards, great take Craig, I guess that explains our futility on the PP too...oh and Petey's obvious slow start... yeah Petey is so concerned with playing D that he has struggled baby dead Bambi in headlights at time on PP or in the offensive zone... some truth to this 5 v 5 but great teams play team defence