The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matt Brassard | D

Tomato Pajamas

A little surprised to see Brassard not be signed considering he's had a good season and is a RD. That said, Mitch Eliot profiles to be very similar and Brassard's skating had been seen as an issue. I don't think Brassard gets drafted but I can see him inking an AHL deal somewhere this Summer. It's a shame the Canucks aren't trying to sign and develop there late round picks as much as they should because with the lack of defensive prospect depth coming into the system, Brassard seemed worthy of a guy you take a chance on.

That said, I wonder if by not signing Brassard, the Canucks have there eyes set on a Euro defenseman (Oliwer Kaski perhaps) or a NCAA d-man that they want to sign soon... Also, I wonder if this means Gunnarsson will get a deal or be let to walk soon too...

Still, wishing Brassard the best wherever he ends up.

• Upvote 1

Seriously shocked about this as he Is putting up good points for where he is drafted, plus minus is decent and he has size and can skate. Shoots right as our right side is weak as heck. What am I missing here, oh and our position of weakness in our organization depth is defense and we aren’t giving this 7th round draft pick a shot? Is Eliot (Brassard is 3 inches taller then Eliot and weighs 30 pounds  more as well) or Teves better then Brassard? Just disappointed that we don’t give these late picks a shot. Will be interesting to see where he gets picked this coming draft.

Edited by EP Phone Home

silly move not to see what this late round pick could do as a RHD down in Utica next year. But hey we are so deep on the right side.....have to make room for....thats right 0 rhd prospects in Utica next fall that we have drafted. Woo is still in junior and then he will likely need a season or 2 to adjust to the pros down in the A.

time to draft the next Brassard in the 6th or 7th this year again i suppose

1 hour ago, cyoung said:

Kind of saw this coming, the Eliot and Teves signings sort of put the nail in the coffin. Should see him in the AHL possibly though if a team gives him a shot.

To me its odd...

Eliot must have beeen a defensive guy  in college as his point totals were minimal. Now he is 21 playing in the OHL and had 55pts in 66 games

Brassard had 58pts in 65 games, and is 20

Why does an undrafted guy who quit on his college have an upper hand over a player we drafted late who has done well ever since he was drafted? Neither guy will ever amount to anything in the NHL most likely, but still would be nice to see some more of our picks I dont care what round actually get given a contract and an opportunity. Not sure what else you can ask from a late round pick...especially in our worst area of depth and always a position of need within NHL clubs, even if it just for a call up and a more prominent role with the farm team.

Nothing would have been lost other than a contract i suppose, but absolutely 0 gained by not giving a kid a chance

• Upvote 2

Not sure why Dhaliwal thinks Brassard is going back to the draft.  He should become an UFA as this is his overage year in the OHL and he's 21 years old in August.  Per NHL draft rules:

To be eligible, players must be 18 years old by Sept. 15 and under 20 years old by Dec. 31 in the draft year. However, non-North American players over 20 years old are eligible.

If an NHL team does not sign a player within the two years in which he was drafted, he can re-enter the draft as long as he is 20 years old or younger for his second draft. Players over 20 years old automatically become UFAs.

Brassard had issues with his skating and management probably just didn't see NHL upside in him.  It's not all about the points.  Carl Neill had 69pts in 67GP as an overager, better than Brassard's 56pts in 65GP.   Sautner had 51pts in 72GP as an overager, and only 1pt in 5 playoff games.  Canucks decided to let Neill go and he's now playing at Concordia U; on the other hand, Sautner is in the NHL.  Coincidentally, Neill was also not a good skater.

Ten years ago, teams would've tripped all over themselves grabbing Bouchard over Hughes and Boqvist.  But more and more, skating ability determines your ceiling at the NHL level.  Contract spots are limited and the Canucks are at 48/50 currently.  If there's little chance that Brassard will turn into anything better than a waiver pickup, why waste a contract on him for three years?  Even if you don't need that extra spot right now, there's a good chance you might need it before his ELC expires. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Disappointed it not really surprised by Brassard not getting a contract. I would’ve rolled the dice on him, and you just need to read through my posts in this thread to understand why.

That said, he didn’t improve his skating quite as much as I’d have liked. He made progress, but nothing dramatic. Also, he didn’t quite reach a point per game, which is where I targeted him. There are reasons for this, most notably his injury history, and some usage in Oshawa this year, but I think the numbers were slightly underwhelming for an overager.

Also, the Canucks are rumoured to be in on two NCAA players, so contract slots play a factor.

Personally, I like Brassard more than some of the others who have contracts in our system, so I’d have given him a deal. But realistically, he’s a guy with an outside chance of becoming a third pairing guy who can QB a second unit PP. Not a huge loss. And he was a long shot to reach that potential. Just IMO better odds than others that JB has actually extended deals to. 

But the Canucks scouts know more than me, so I trust they are making the best calls they can on who they sign and don’t sign.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

But the Canucks scouts "supposedly" know more than me, so I trust they are making the best calls they can on who they sign and don’t sign.

You always have good insight, I am not totally sold on how we draft and sign prospects. Thankfully we have EP otherwise this team would be a disaster for who knows how long

The Brassard thing actually isn't that complicated, it doesn't matter if hypothetically he put up 100 points. If our scouts watched him and identified that his skating is not even close to nhl or ahl level, and that he hasn't made major strides in improving it, there's no reason to use a contract spot on him.

• Upvote 2

On 3/30/2019 at 2:09 AM, Theguy445 said:

The Brassard thing actually isn't that complicated, it doesn't matter if hypothetically he put up 100 points. If our scouts watched him and identified that his skating is not even close to nhl or ahl level, and that he hasn't made major strides in improving it, there's no reason to use a contract spot on him.

You are spot on here. The scouting and prospect list is so much stronger these days, we passed on Carl Neill and now Brassard who both seem better prospects than Mackenzie Stewart who got a contract a few years back. Its a good sign overall for the team moving forward, I hope to see in the future even better prospects not given a contract as the Canucks prospects cupboards become even better stocked. 

• Like 1

His speed is suspect and not everyone can just improve their skating the way Bo did.  I think he is unique when it comes to how much he has improved.  I thought he would be a 3rd line center with Selke possibilities.  The way he has improved is amazing.  Go Bo :gocan:

• 2 weeks later...

I know he’s no longer considered our prospect, but Matt Brassard is having an eventful series against his former team. It’s been quite a seesaw battle between Niagara and Oshawa, with the Gens winning game 5 last night (Brassard was named 2nd star in the 3-1 loss) and now leading 3-2 in the series, and nastiness ramping up between Brassard and his former team.

Matt’s agitator game is in full effect, with him going after several Gens players this series, including some former long time teammates. He’s been smashing guys’ heads into the glass, crosschecking former teammates in the face, and he even went after an injured player, who was chirping him, threw a punch at the guy, which was partially blocked, and ended up clocking his former trainer in the face (as the trainer was attending to the Gens player).

Brassard has also been putting a little extra mustard on his cellies, which already tend to be pretty over the top and enrage opposing teams, and the fans in Oshawa have not appreciated watching one of their former favourites trying to rub it in whenever he gets the chance.

It’s gotten to the point where Brassard is being booed by the Oshawa fans on nearly every shift. Which definitely adds an interesting extra dimension to the series.

Here’s Brassard throwing that punch that ended up hitting the trainer:

As for his playoffs, Brassard has 8 points in 10 games, and somehow only has 4 PIM, despite being involved in countless rather nasty extracurriculars. He definitely knows how to sneak in his dirty work, which only enrages opponents (and their fans) even more, when it somehow escapes detection and doesn’t draw what seems like a clear penalty. Kid is a real piece of work.

Oshawa fans on twitter have certainly turned on their former player. The hate is quite palpable and the former fan favourite has become public enemy #1. Brassard has always been very good at getting under the skin of opponents. And he certainly hasn’t pulled any punches with his former team, or their fans (or even the Oshawa training staff :lol:).

I’m really hoping this series goes to 7 games.

• Upvote 2

I could see MB being offered an AHL deal if there are no NHL takers. The fact that JB used up all 50 slots may have been a factor. I don't know where the 50 man roster will stand on 1st July. If there is lots of room ( doubt it ) then a Woo like, delayed contract, could have been reached. I thought the exact same stuff with Carl Neill tho'. We'll strike pay dirt on one of these late pick RDs one day !

10 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

We'll strike pay dirt on one of these late pick RDs one day !

Have to sign the kid and give him a chance outside of junior to see. Even if they just become solid AHL D who can mentor and provide leadership that is better and worth taking the risk vs just cutting bait with players we have developed.

Wish him luck, its no easy climb after junior but hope he can carve out some sort of hockey career going forward