The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do we even need Dahlin?

Hortankin

Juolevi Stecher

Tryamkin/Hutton Gudbranson

Every one of these guys have proved to be able to play top 4 and not look out of place except for Juolevi, but I seen enough from him to believe he will be a solid #1 for years to come.

Stecher and Tryamkin are solid top 4 already and have so much potential to grow. They have #1 potential as well IMHO

Hutton won't be that shutdown Dman but boy can he create chances in the Ozone while being respectable defensively.

Gudbranson is a solid top 4 defenceman right now. He hasn't reached his prime yet either. Right now I'd label him a solid #4 but he will become a solid #2/#3 guy soon enough.

Then there is still Brisebois, Subban, McEneny, and a few other prospects fighting for that bottom pairing while hoping to take over top for duties from above players.

Do we really need Dahlin or are you comfortable with what we already have in the system?

Wouldn't it be more worth it over the long run to try and get these young guys to the playoffs this year before losing becomes a habit? Or should we tank for Dahlin?

Can never have enough talent.   Certainly things are looking up for Canucks from just a year or three ago but not really a championship D quite yet (even if potentially better than what Penguins won the Cup with having their best dude injured). 

@Hortankin - I thought this thread was going to be an homage to the "Burrows, do we really need him" thread!  :lol:

As improved as our prospect D cupboard is, beyond Juolevi, we don't have any blue chip, likely first pair D. Could one of those guys surprise and become a 1st pair D? Sure. But we shouldn't be banking on it.

And while both Stecher and Hutton are decent at moving the puck, neither scream 1st pair, elite PP QB.

So whether it's Dahlin or another D, we likely still need one more, blue chip, top pair, offensive D.

Some of those other guys who don't rise to the top will be moved.

11 minutes ago, J.R. said:

As improved as our prospect D cupboard is, beyond Juolevi, we don't have any blue chip, likely first pair D. Could one of those guys surprise and become a 1st pair D? Sure. But we shouldn't be banking on it.

And while both Stecher and Hutton are decent at moving the puck, neither scream 1st pair, elite PP QB.

So whether it's Dahlin or another D, we likely still need one more, blue chip, top pair, offensive D.

Some of those other guys who don't rise to the top will be moved.

It could get done by committee, and will probably have to be given our lotto luck, but yes there's an "elite" (for lack of a better term) hole on the right side.

I don't know that we have to be all that hung up on this particular guy tho, there's a lot of really great players in the top 10 next year. 

44 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

Juolevi Stecher

Tryamkin/Hutton Gudbranson

Every one of these guys have proved to be able to play top 4 and not look out of place except for Juolevi, but I seen enough from him to believe he will be a solid #1 for years to come.

Stecher and Tryamkin are solid top 4 already and have so much potential to grow. They have #1 potential as well IMHO

Hutton won't be that shutdown Dman but boy can he create chances in the Ozone while being respectable defensively.

Gudbranson is a solid top 4 defenceman right now. He hasn't reached his prime yet either. Right now I'd label him a solid #4 but he will become a solid #2/#3 guy soon enough.

Then there is still Brisebois, Subban, McEneny, and a few other prospects fighting for that bottom pairing while hoping to take over top for duties from above players.

Do we really need Dahlin or are you comfortable with what we already have in the system?

ARE U serious?    OMG, you can NEVER have enough D.    All I can say is:   OMG< OMG< OMG

People think I'm saying I don't like Dahlin or want him or something. What I'm saying is we have very good young Dmen already in the system and Idk if it's worth another losing season to get him.

I don't want that Edmonton fever we have to get these kids winning before losing becomes the norm for them

Archived