The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Andrey Pedan, 4th-round pick to Penguins for Derrick Pouliot

8 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Canucks JB loves picking up off the scrap heap...

This off season  now 5  guys from the wrecking yard.....  All former first rounders...   Gagner ( 6th ) Burmistov ( 8)  DelZotto ( 20 ) and Poullit ( 8)   and Vanek (  5 )

Why would JB throw in a  4th rd pick for  Pouilot who was about to go on waivers.....  JB loves wasting picks his deals and does it again..

JB just got the 2017 version of Puilliot   not the 2012 version......     He was so far off the Penquins roster he had a hard time even getting near the rink...

nice to see you approve of the trade :P

17 hours ago, Alflives said:

Would putting Dorset on LTIR eliminate his contract from the total?

No. IR and LTIR still count towards the cap. LTIR only allows you to temporarily exceed the cap by that players cap hit until the player returns. All NHL contracts count towards the total allowed whether injured or not. Of course a player actually has to be injured to be put on LTIR. Dorsett has both been medically cleared to play and has been playing. I highly doubt the league would buy it.

Interesting that Vegas ending up settling with a roster of 11 forwards 9 defenceman and 3 goalies after they couldn't deal a defenseman and picked up the other subban off waivers.

Just glad JB didn't pick up Sbisa again.   

4 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

Interesting that Vegas ending up settling with a roster of 11 forwards 9 defenceman and 3 goalies after they couldn't deal a defenseman and picked up the other subban off waivers.

Just glad JB didn't pick up Sbisa again.   

That won't be their actual roster. Cap/roster compliance gymnastics. 

10 hours ago, oldnews said:

HF boards is full of HF boards types - the equivalent of the types here that would be 'ecstatic' if we had dumped Jake Virtanen for a 4th round pick.

Let's revisit this once Green has had an opportunity to work with Pouliot. 

We stand to lose a 4th round pick here (which comes with about 8%ish odds- give or take - of being an NHL asset.

Pittsburgh has already lost an 8th overall pick - done deal.

Who should be ecstatic?  What the hell are they ecstatic about?

HF boards - we should heed what random HFboarders post.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't HF boards where the banned idiots go to continue their stupidity?  :lol:

2 hours ago, Baggins said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't HF boards where the banned idiots go to continue their stupidity?  :lol:

It's unbelievable how negative everyone on that site is. I believe in everyone having their own opinion, but over there it's just constant bashing, and negative energy. How about we give this kid a chance. There's a good chance a change in scenery might improve his confidence esp under TG's coaching and system. I hate how everyone jumps to conclusions right away. Why not take the let's wait and see approach ffs. I think it's because all of the haters want to say I told you so just incase a player doesn't succeed, and if they do you don't hear from them anymore, trolls..

9 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

This off season  now 5  guys from the wrecking yard.....  All former first rounders...   Gagner ( 6th ) Burmistov ( 8)  DelZotto ( 20 ) and Poullit ( 8)   and Vanek (  5 )

Why would JB throw in a  4th rd pick for  Pouilot who was about to go on waivers.....  JB loves wasting picks his deals and does it again..

JB just got the 2017 version of Puilliot   not the 2012 version......     He was so far off the Penquins roster he had a hard time even getting near the rink...

would you have felt better if they had all been 2nd rounders with less talent? ^_^

the kid still has potential, thats worth the 4th if you look at the chances of success of a 4th round pick. So the idea that its a "waste" is simply not true. JB raised the chances of getting an NHLr eventually.

the reason not to pick him off waivers was twofold: 1) colorado probably picks him first, 2) we needed the roster spot in order to sign Gaudette later this year, to be potentially active in NCAA free agency, and maybe trades.

you'd think by now the "Jim wastes picks" things would be getting old given how well Granny and Baer have worked out.

10 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Actually if anything this should point out how worthless top 10 picks can really be if you don't capitalize on them and possibly put a stick in the "if JB misses this top 10 pick he's...." crowd

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

It's the place where on the Canucks page the two most vocal moderators make combover look like he's a benning worshiper and the average flames fan a life long fan of the Nucks.  That place is the most vile spot going honestly for any kind of general canucks related talk.

53 minutes ago, Kungfudru said:

It's unbelievable how negative everyone on that site is. I believe in everyone having their own opinion, but over there it's just constant bashing, and negative energy. How about we give this kid a chance. There's a good chance a change in scenery might improve his confidence esp under TG's coaching and system. I hate how everyone jumps to conclusions right away. Why not take the let's wait and see approach ffs. I think it's because all of the haters want to say I told you so just incase a player doesn't succeed, and if they do you don't hear from them anymore, trolls..

Fixed for you

This could be a win/win for both Pouliot and the Canucks.  It will probably be his last chance to get his game on track and what a great opportunity he will have.  As the 7/8 dman, he will be brought along gradually and will have lots of time to learn the system and build up his game.  All the while, working with a coach who knows him well and appears to be a very good teacher. I look forward to see how things go for him over the season.

I was never that excited about Pedan's game; although I liked his speed, size and aggressive approach, he always seemed to be lacking in hockey sense.  Often seemed lost and his positioning was really bad at times. 

Travis Green knows Pedan's game better than anyone, so I trust that he was a major influence in making the trade happen.

In the end, I think that Pouliot is in a better situation to succeed.

I always liked Pedan but it was obvious he was never gonna crack this roster.  But thinking back on it a bit I think I liked Pedan simply for his ability to drop the gloves - he played tough and we so needed that. Obviously something in his game did not meet the standards that Green has set for the team - will this trade work? who knows - I hope so. Either way  it is low risk in my opinion. And having no one claim Pedan off waivers says a whole lot.  On the flip side it doesn't sound like the Pittsburg fans are gonna miss Pulliot.  I am hoping he just didn't work in their system.

My rose coloured glasses view

I remember Pouliot playing for the WJC team. I was mighty impressed. He reminded me of Duncan Keith with his skating and puck moving ability. 

If you compare stats (yes, just stats) you will see Pouliot is only about a year behind Keith's trajectory at the same time. But Keith had the benefit of being on a lousy team so he could get regular NHL reps a year ahead of Pouliot's timeline. No one thought much of Keith at this stage in his career then all of a sudden he and the Hawks were amazing.

And back when Pouliot was looking really good his regular coach was Green.

That is my lofty view. More potential and hopeful than actual right now. But it makes me feel good about the trade.

I never had much hope for Pedan.

i remember back in portland, his defense partner was cederholm.  i remember wanting us to draft him, the same way i wanted us to draft cliff ronning. we ended up with both of them. i agree we should give players a chance to prove if they can play this game. 

Read (heard?) Pouliot is 210 pounds, and his commitment to fitness has been questioned.  Maybe we get lucky and the guy is overweight and out of shape?  Maybe in time he gets his body to the proper weight, and gets NHL fit?  Much like Virtanen this year, we might see a huge step forward with Pouliot if he loses pounds and gets fit?  This could be a steal of a deal for us!!!  Very excited for his potential.

Archived