The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks set opening night roster

Adarsh Sant

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Interesting - wonder if this how this compares across the league.....particularly up front?   13 of 21 position players....first rounders.   Doubt Canucks have had this sort of ratio up front (or even overall) before.   Not that it means jack squat unless they all play well but I found it interesting.      

Who knows, but this should be expected given the typical drop-off of NHL players with 100 games after the first round.  What this is suggesting is that JB is starting to put together an NHL-worthy team (mostly young).....hopefully this pans out well but it's indeed a rebuild.

5 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Can't have any toughness in the line up except Guddy now, it makes him necessary and look more important when most fans will over look the skill level vs the toughness factor. He is all they have now.

Dorsett, Virtanen, Horvat are all capable of handling themselves. 

Del Zotto and Pouliot are tougher than you think. 

Nilsson is a brick wall. 

Not as bad as you might think. 

13 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has placed forwards Brendan Gaunce and Cole Cassels on injured reserve, designated defenceman Patrick Wiercioch for assignment, assigned defenceman Olli Juolevi to TPS Turku and Darren Archibald will report to Utica, after being released from his PTO. The moves set the Canucks roster at 23 to start the 2017.18 season.

FORWARDS (13)

BAERTSCHI, SVEN

BOESER, BROCK

BURMISTROV, ALEXANDER

DORSETT, DEREK

ERIKSSON, LOUI

GAGNER, SAM

GRANLUND, MARKUS

HORVAT, BO

SEDIN, DANIEL

SEDIN, HENRIK

SUTTER, BRANDON

VANEK, THOMAS

VIRTANEN, JAKE

DEFENCEMEN (8)

BIEGA, ALEX

DEL ZOTTO, MICHAEL

EDLER, ALEXANDER

GUDBRANSON, ERIK

HUTTON, BEN

POULIOT, DERRICK

STECHER, TROY

TANEV, CHRISTOPHER

GOALTENDERS (2)

MARKSTROM, JACOB

NILSSON, ANDERS

Sounds good to me, I think the coaches and management made the right decisions based on training camp and the preseason. Virtanen certainly deserved to stay, as did Boeser. The two of them could have gone either way. Shame with Gaunce's injury but we'll see how long it takes for him to get back to the NHL. Archibald was pretty clearly ousted by Virtanen for the same role. Bit worried about Goldobin and if/when he'll ever make the NHL again permanently.

Now the key is chemistry in our lines. I think we'll have the best chance with something like this:

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Granlund - Sutter - Gagner

Sedin - Sedin - Vanek

Virtanen - Burmistrov - Dorsett

Eriksson

Honestly this depends on Eriksson, I think he had brilliant chemistry with Granlund to start last season and all pre-season but Gagner, Vanek and Eriksson are all playing for 2 roles on this team.

Edler - Stecher

MDZ - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Pouliot

Biega

Very interested to see how Pouliot goes with Green and if he can get back to what he was like in junior and the AHL, and he'll get his chances with injuries later in the season, especially on the PP which is where we need him. Del Zotto looked very solid in the preseason as well and might even switch spots with Edler later on. I really hope Hutton has a big year.

Green has LOTS of different possibilities this upcoming season, especially in the forward group. I think we'll score more goals, let in far more goals and end up in the bottom 3 or 5 of the conference easily.

Good choice for roster. 

Now it will come down to giving ice time to those who deserve it.

If the Sedins continue to kill the PP by passing around the perimeter, looking for the pretty play and not taking shots, then we will see if they continue to kill the PP or sit and watch Boeser, Baer, Horvat, Gagner and/ or Granlund, Vanek put the puck in the net on the PP.

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

Another year of getting pushed around, injuries, goalies run, and no responses.

One more year of this leadership and I am hopeful for when the "changing of the guard" happens and those days are behind us. New leadership, faster, younger players should spell a better performance on the ice.

Looking forward to see how players such as Virt and Guddy deal with cheap shot artists such as Marchand and pretty much every leaf player.  

1 minute ago, EdgarM said:

One more year of this leadership and I am hopeful for when the "changing of the guard" happens and those days are behind us. New leadership, faster, younger players should spell a better performance on the ice.

Looking forward to see how players such as Virt and Guddy deal with cheap shot artists such as Marchand and pretty much every leaf player.  

It's too bad Kassian got into sledding because he would have been an amazing player for us.

21 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Guddy yes.

jake provides a heavy forechecking game but I see no snarl there otherwise.  He's just a kid and I don't expect him to mix it up with aggressive seasoned players.

a changing of the guard essentially means the sedins retiring.  But I don't see any toughness in the top six or even nine regardless.

12 hours ago, bluesman60 said:

Jake Virtanen will answer the bell everytime. How do you figure that Guddy is the only tough guy? Dorsett also.

Jake? Really? How many fights he ever had? What? Seven, eight? In his whole career? OOOooooo I am intimidated already? If I am Lucic or Maroon I am terrified....RIIIIGHTTTT.

The team is older, smaller, softer and easier to squeeze, just like Charmine.

15 hours ago, Qwags said:

Remember when some of us thought Virt was a bust because of one bad season?

Man you are easy to please, the season hasn't started yet. And I do believe that most of the discontent centered around that he was picked #6 and still hasn't played a significant NHL regular season game. I myself kept posting that I thought the Nucks were ruining him by emphasizing the hitting over the goal scoring and that image of him still resonates with the fans. 

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

Guddy yes.

jake provides a heavy forechecking game but I see no snarl there otherwise.  He's just a kid and I don't expect him to mix it up with aggressive seasoned players.

a changing of the guard essentially means the sedins retiring.  But I don't see any toughness in the top six or even nine regardless.

A heavy forechecking game that has been nonexistent for years now. This should slow down the likes of Patrick Kane type players. 

A change in Captaincy say from Hank to Bo or Guddy will instantly change the culture from bring gentlemenly to "if you want a war let's go" mentality. After all this sport is hockey not golf or ringette.

Archived