The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Playoff Watch

Roberts

On 11/14/2017 at 1:36 PM, aGENT said:

Fast approaching the 20 game mark and presently out of the playoffs and as predicted, goal differential has regressed back in the red, the PP is 4th from the bottom and the PK is 7th from the bottom.

We're starting to get a large enough sample size to have a better understanding of where this team averages out to and presently, that's as a bottom 10 +/- team. 

Again, a bubble playoff, 15th-21st +/- team if we get lucky, things go well, we stay pretty healthy etc. A 21st-31st team if those things don't happen (as they haven't the last couple years).

Now we certainly have more/better depth this year to cover some of that but in all likelihood that's the difference of landing bottom 10 rather than bottom 5 when it all shakes out. We should have an even clearer picture in the next 3-8 games.

hopefully the picture in your sig comes true by the trade deadline so we can move on. Would only be 2 more to get rid of in Sedins and we would have cleaned up the roster of any players that played in 2011 cup finals.

3 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

But only 1 point out of the playoffs...

Sure :lol:

I doubt we'll be able to say that after this next stretch of tough games.

3 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

hopefully the picture in your sig comes true by the trade deadline so we can move on. Would only be 2 more to get rid of in Sedins and we would have cleaned up the roster of any players that played in 2011 cup finals.

*Tanev

I'm an Edler fan but I have to agree with this. As I wrote in the PGT, We now have tonnes of ready/near ready left D depth that he's no longer required to help shelter or retain respectability. He's also of the age that he won't be around for the next core. That puts him in a bit of a no mans land of not overly needed now or in the future. His trade value is also likely to only go down next year. The MDZ signing was hopefully the writing on the wall that his time is coming to an end here.

Edler with 50% retained closer to the TDL this year to a contender should offer a nice return. Even more so if we can package him with some of our forward depth (Vanek?). I'd sure love to nab say Cal Foote out of TBL for him...

Of course that will depend on if he'll waive....

• 2 weeks later...

Missed updating this at the 20 game mark but we're now at 25 and we likely have a pretty good idea where we're at. And that's presently 18th place, a -5 goal differential. Our PP has miraculously shot up to 14th (though I question how sustainable that is) and our PK is a 'decent' 18th.

Still looking like a bottom 10-15, 'near bubble' team if we can stay relatively healthy and before we move players at the TDL. With any serious injury trouble and/or shipping out vets, we likely fall to a bottom 5-10 team IMO.

On the "Predictions" pinned thread I made a vague prediction based on many previous seasons of lower end teams, I see no reason to change my thoughts on it.

Many stats experts put the "playoffs or not" date at American Thanksgiving, I myself prefer December 1 week. I think that date is more accurate for the 90% rule.

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Missed updating this at the 20 game mark but we're now at 25 and we likely have a pretty good idea where we're at. And that's presently 18th place, a -5 goal differential. Our PP has miraculously shot up to 14th (though I question how sustainable that is) and our PK is a 'decent' 18th.

Still looking like a bottom 10-15, 'near bubble' team if we can stay relatively healthy and before we move players at the TDL. With any serious injury trouble and/or shipping out vets, we likely fall to a bottom 5-10 team IMO.

Its been a good season so far, but totally expects us to start falling behind over the next month... Its all a process...

I am sorry, I don't agree with you guys.  I can't.  I said it from the beginning - we are going to vie for a playoff spot.  Wasn't sure if we would make it and I am still not sure, but I maintain we will be close.  Keeping faith.

10th worst in the league would be the worst possible outcome for the season.  Kills our lottery chances AND denies us some playoff hockey. 

Really impressed with the ongoing ability to absorb the injuries the team is taking.

Thought they'd be competitive enough to stay in the race - if they were healthy.

But they haven't been - and they're still gutting out wins and playing solid team / systems hockey.

The veteran depth has been very good.  MDZ carrying a heavy load with injuries to Tanev, Edler and now Gudbranson.  Vanek with 17 pts for 2 million.  Gagner playing a solid bottom six matchup role.  Without Sutter and Dorsett, you'd think this team would be in for a rough ride without a real shutdown line to back up Horvat, and an aging Sedin line.  But Loui has re-emerged, and the young guys are playing great hockey.  Boeser has given them that dangerous goal-scoring presence that makes a world of difference.

Even if we don't expect them to sustain this pace, they're playing extremely promising hockey - and the majority of their young talent is not yet on the roster, so JB has definitely done some damn good work on the fly.

3 hours ago, kloubek said:

I am sorry, I don't agree with you guys.  I can't.  I said it from the beginning - we are going to vie for a playoff spot.  Wasn't sure if we would make it and I am still not sure, but I maintain we will be close.  Keeping faith.

10th worst in the league would be the worst possible outcome for the season.  Kills our lottery chances AND denies us some playoff hockey. 

Meh...  with the shuffling of the draft lottery odds (not sure if you caught that last off-season?) it makes even less difference now if you finish 5th or 10th worst.  

I also hope that we stay close to a playoff spot.

In past years it was easier to be more sure of the 90% average on December 1 week but this year the teams have played so few inter divisional games.

As it stands the Canucks are currently a bubble team to make the playoffs as a wild card team.

The Canucks have played only 7 games against teams in their division so far this year. These divisional games are the "4 point" games which impact the standings in a bigger way. So far they are 3 wins and 4 losses.

At this time it looks certain that the Canucks will not be playing for a divisional playoff berth but a wild card spot.

They could be a bubble team.

On 2017-11-29 at 3:14 PM, aGENT said:

From near last to in the league to bubble team seems like a positive development and way beyond anyone’s predictions. 

Hope we we can pull a Philly and land a great Lotto pick and be competitive up until the playoffs. That would be a successful year IMO. 

Unless of course we can be a dark horse cup winner... ;) 

The division is still messed up at the third way point.  I still think LV falls back as well as LA.  People have written Edmonton off, but they are just 3 points behind Anaheim.  I think either or both of them could heat up, and there is plenty of time left if they do.  But certainly no dominant team or teams in the Pacific. 

On 29/11/2017 at 11:21 AM, spook007 said:

Its been a good season so far, but totally expects us to start falling behind over the next month... Its all a process...

Based on what? We have been hearing that all year. You could be totally righ but. I don't think losing is part of the process at all. I know everyone dreams of Dahlin. Or any otjer top pick. Personally I think were A playoff team. And next year Real threats to win A few rounds as favourates Cheers hava great night

9 minutes ago, bp79 said:

Based on what? We have been hearing that all year. You could be totally righ but. I don't think losing is part of the process at all. I know everyone dreams of Dahlin. Or any otjer top pick. Personally I think were A playoff team. And next year Real threats to win A few rounds as favourates Cheers hava great night

Exactly. Too much doom and gloom around here. I’m not saying plan the parade but jeez goaltending has been much better than anyone could have hoped for they’re competing every night pp and pk have vastly improved let them keep doin what they’re doin and get into the playoffs and see what happens 

On ‎2017‎-‎11‎-‎17 at 10:01 AM, aGENT said:

Sure :lol:

I doubt we'll be able to say that after this next stretch of tough games.

*Tanev

I'm an Edler fan but I have to agree with this. As I wrote in the PGT, We now have tonnes of ready/near ready left D depth that he's no longer required to help shelter or retain respectability. He's also of the age that he won't be around for the next core. That puts him in a bit of a no mans land of not overly needed now or in the future. His trade value is also likely to only go down next year. The MDZ signing was hopefully the writing on the wall that his time is coming to an end here.

Edler with 50% retained closer to the TDL this year to a contender should offer a nice return. Even more so if we can package him with some of our forward depth (Vanek?). I'd sure love to nab say Cal Foote out of TBL for him...

Of course that will depend on if he'll waive....

9 hours ago, PuckFather said:

Are you eating crows now?

He has been called on his "bold statements" before. I hope he is not a bettin man. :lol:

7 hours ago, canucksrock!88 said:

Exactly. Too much doom and gloom around here. I’m not saying plan the parade but jeez goaltending has been much better than anyone could have hoped for they’re competing every night pp and pk have vastly improved let them keep doin what they’re doin and get into the playoffs and see what happens 

Well said. Cheers.

Archived