The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] What happens when Gaunce comes back?

Crabcakes

5 hours ago, CanuckinEdm said:

Im pretty sure he was a point a game player or very close, the thing with Gaunce is he has shown 0 offensive ability at the nhl level. The only reason he was in the NHL is he was a first rounder and the Canucks didnt want to lose him on waivers. That first rounder status can only carry you so far before your considered a bust.

That's true.

Hence I feel its swim or sink time for Gaunce.

Just seen last nights game delayed, and looking at that it won't be easy to break in. The line you'd assume he'd be on (Dors and sutter) is playing so well just now with Granlund. 

19 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

This too, with Eriksson out. Our depth this year is crazy. 

Gaunce is going for the full stint in Utica, so it's possible that someone gets hurt in that timeline. If he were to replace someone in our current lineup, I'd like it to be Gagner or Vanek. I think when Gaunce does comeback he'd be an excellent winger for Sutter/Dorsett; not that Granlund has been bad at all, just a more defensive fit for that unit. 

Assuming no further injuries:

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Sedin - Sedin - Virtanen

Granlund - Burmistrov - Vanek

Gaunce - Sutter - Dorsett

Gagner

Thought this would be the lines as well, but Granlund - Sutter - Dorsett are playing really well together just now. Very impressed with that line.

12 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

You are right except that Green has been grooming Gaunce as a LW for a couple of years.  Green has said that he felt that was where his future was in the NHL.  I think that this comment was based on his skating at the time.  The only time he played centre in Utica is when they had injury troubles.

Recently, Green has said that there are still a few players on the Canucks who he hasn't figured out yet and how to use them optimally.  I have to think that Gagner tops the list.  Also, Burmistrov has looked good some games and not so much in others.  

Green said today that he's not going to make changes for no reason.  If lines are doing well, why change them up?  I have to agree with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality but if the team can be better.....

I think that Granlund is wasted on a shut down line for starters and I think that 5 x 5, the Gagner Burmistrov Vanek line is a bit of a lame duck line

Good point I forgot that Green moved him to a wing. I’m not sold on that myself but Green likes those flexi guys like Granlund, Sutter, Biega. Gaunce fits that mold too. Really have my fingers crossed that Gaunce continues to develop he could be a good piece for this team and Travis likes him. 

Burmistrov line line looked very good against Caps. 

5 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Just a little information here, the Canucks have now had 35 man games lost.

I wouldn't count Cassels.  

Edler 7

Eriksson 6

Stecher 2

Gaunce 10.

That's 25 and Gaunce was not part of the opening roster.

1 hour ago, mll said:

I wouldn't count Cassels.  

Edler 7

Eriksson 6

Stecher 2

Gaunce 10.

That's 25 and Gaunce was not part of the opening roster.

The Canucks and the NHL count those games that's why the Nucks had so many games lost to injury last year, they counted Rodin and Dorsett, those two account for over a third.

I actually think his best chance at success/ staying up is to start playing a physical role. He is extremely soft for a player of his size, but if he ever started making some big hits and putting his size to good use, he could be a valuable contributor to the team. I don’t think we can ever count on him to be a point producer. I think that ship has sailed. 

I thought that I'd resurrect this thread as it looks like Gaunce is being called up tomorrow (Nov 5) after the Comets defeated the Rochester Americans in a penalty shootout 3-2 on Nov 4.  Goals by Rodin and Goldobin, shootout winner by Goldobin.

Gaunce has played 5 games for the Comets this year netting 2 goals and 1 assist.

31 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Nothing much happens.

We have a team that has more trouble scoring than any team in the league - so adding yet another player who can't score to save his life isn't going to change much of anything.

He's very proficient offensively in the AHL, one of the go-to guys for Travis Green last season.  

Gaunce in his very limited/defensive role last season created more offensive chances than his stats indicated.  

I was thinking about this yesterday and my thoughts are pretty simple (what's new :wacko: )

I still am of the opinion Jake and his enthusiasm is wasted with what the Twins have now become. What I would like to see is a new line where Gaunce centres Jake and Rodin.

I think that line would certainly not be any worse than Jake with the twins and in fact I would have big hopes for it.

Jake, smart, fast, great shot, back checker, drives to the net.

Gaunce, smart, heavy body, fast, good shot, play maker.

Rodin, good shot, smart. 

Would we really miss the Twins if we had this line? There is really only one way to find out - give them 10 games.

I believe Gaunce will be a great addition under Coach Green.   He’s a good forechecker and plays smart, much like Sutter.  I think they’ll compiment each other’s games.  

I think we’ll see him rotate with Burmistrov, and potentially move Granny to center Vanek and Gagner to hopefully help them all get some more offense going. 

Baer Bo Boeser

Vanek Granny Gagner

Gaunce Sutter Dorsett

Sedin Sedin Virtanen

Things do get interesting once Edler comes back...  Really dont want want to see Pouliot come out of the lineup.  He needs to play!  I think we’ll see a point where his strengths begin to shine as he’s playing the right way to start here...  But he’ll probably get scratched unless there’s injury or a trade....  wish he’d waive that ntc!

4 minutes ago, 70seven said:

I believe Gaunce will be a great addition under Coach Green.   He’s a good forechecker and plays smart, much like Sutter.  I think they’ll compiment each other’s games.  

I think we’ll see him rotate with Burmistrov, and potentially move Granny to center Vanek and Gagner to hopefully help them all get some more offense going. 

Baer Bo Boeser

Vanek Granny Gagner

Gaunce Sutter Dorsett

Sedin Sedin Virtanen

Things do get interesting once Edler comes back...  Really dont want want to see Pouliot come out of the lineup.  He needs to play!  I think we’ll see a point where his strengths begin to shine as he’s playing the right way to start here...  But he’ll probably get scratched unless there’s injury or a trade....  wish he’d waive that ntc!

Well, when Edler comes back I believe Biega will be sitting in the pressbox.  When Stech comes back I wouldn't mind seeing Hutton, Pouliot and Stech doing somewhat of a rotation or giving other guys a break here and there.

3 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I was thinking about this yesterday and my thoughts are pretty simple (what's new :wacko: )

I still am of the opinion Jake and his enthusiasm is wasted with what the Twins have now become. What I would like to see is a new line where Gaunce centres Jake and Rodin.

I think that line would certainly not be any worse than Jake with the twins and in fact I would have big hopes for it.

Rodin, good shot, smart. 

Would we really miss the Twins if we had this line? There is really only one way to find out - give them 10 games.

Good point about Virtanen with the twins.  His ice time last night was 6 minutes because he only plays 5 on 5.  The twins played 8 minutes and had some pp time.  It's not enough.  I thought he had some good moments last night where his speed was really giving Pitt some concern.  The thing is, the twins cannot come close to supporting a player who can move that fast.

1 hour ago, 70seven said:

Baer Bo Boeser

Vanek Granny Gagner

Gaunce Sutter Dorsett

Sedin Sedin Virtanen

This is what I thought would happen with Gaunce.  I'm not sure we see him with 17-18 mins of ice time though.

2 hours ago, 70seven said:

Baer Bo Boeser

Vanek Granny Gagner

Gaunce Sutter Dorsett

Sedin Sedin Virtanen

I agree, Pouliot should be given more opportunity and yes too bad Edler has that NTC.  Unfortunately being stuck with Biega last night (who had an atrocious game) against the Pens caused him to be sidelined for most of the 3rd period.  No matter, he certainly has better speed and offensive potential than Edler who only has two predictable plays in his book ("the back pass" coming out of our zone play and the "wait until the opposing player is 3' feet in front of you in their zone - so you can take a 0% chance slap shot on his knee pads" play).

Hopefully, Travis will do like the Sedins and put Edler down at the end of the bench and play him as 3rd pairing and cut his ice time to 12-14 minutes. That ought to limit the damage - somewhat.

Time for change - let the young players play!!!!!!!

7 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Rodin, good shot, smart. 

I'd, personally, be happy to see the Rodin story come to a merciful end. I feel for the guy, as he's not been able to get any kind of regular play, due to nagging injury but; How much longer can we wait for this guy to come around? If he ever does.

This would also upset a balance TG has achieved with this roster and would, and should, be hesitant to do anything to upset it until the need arises.

Even if he were to experiment, I would be more inclined to put Eriksson on the LW than Rodin. Eriksson needs to get going. He is the one player on this team that needs to find chemistry. At this point, I'm open to anything. The Sedins are having woes of theirs too but as they're only averaging ten minutes a game and appear primed for retirement, I think it more vital that Loui regains his offense. 

But first, let's see what Gaunce has to offer before finding a fit.

1 hour ago, komodo0921 said:

I'd, personally, be happy to see the Rodin story come to a merciful end. I feel for the guy, as he's not been able to get any kind of regular play, due to nagging injury but; How much longer can we wait for this guy to come around? If he ever does.

This would also upset a balance TG has achieved with this roster and would, and should, be hesitant to do anything to upset it until the need arises.

Even if he were to experiment, I would be more inclined to put Eriksson on the LW than Rodin. Eriksson needs to get going. He is the one player on this team that needs to find chemistry. At this point, I'm open to anything. The Sedins are having woes of theirs too but as they're only averaging ten minutes a game and appear primed for retirement, I think it more vital that Loui regains his offense. 

But first, let's see what Gaunce has to offer before finding a fit.

Fair points but imo Loui has 5 years to get going, we need to see what Rodin, Jake and Gaunce can do in a more expanded role.

Who gets Megna's spot sitting? I think Gaunce will have a few practices before he draws in unless Green is unhappy with someone's play of late. After that it should be a bottom 6 guy. I like Gaunces game and hope he can get up to speed soon. He's playing catch up right now.

Archived