The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] What happens when Gaunce comes back?

Crabcakes

Provided they don't need him as an injury fill-in (very possible), then I could see a scenario of: Alternating 3 of Gagner, Gaunce, Burmistrov and Vanek. Three of them can play center, Gagner and Gaunce are both experienced at wing. Alternate them either by 1) who is the coldest (he sits) or 2) just straight missing one game every 4 games. I think it's pretty reasonable to foresee at least one of them being trade deadline material, if not two of them. Leave the Granlund/Sutter/Eriksson (when he comes back) alone.

I trust Green in deploying the best lines every night. I can't see Gaunce stepping in right away if the nucks are winning. If Gagner has to sit, I don't think he will hesitate. Players should not be iced just because of their salary if they are slumping.

We really only have a few defensive forwards on this team.  Sutter, Dorsett, Granlund, Erikkson and Gaunce.  Bo really hasn't turned into the shutdown guy he was thought to be, great player but not the shutdown guy. 

Gaunce and Sutter are probably the top two from a shutdown forward perspective, Gaunce led the team last year in the silly possession stats, he drives play.  He is young, cheap, effective and drafted and developed by the team.  I think all some people see is the zero goals.

Chaput goes down and if no one else gets injured, Burmistrov is likely next man to sit.  I feel he has played well but Gaunce really is needed on PK.

Gaunce took a step forward last year in terms of skating, hitting and positioning. He was an effective forechecker and if he had only put up some points he would be hailed as a terrific 3d line center and the Canucks would have left some of these off season acquisitions alone. But he got hurt and he didn't score so the Canucks went out on the market and he has something to prove. He gutted out much of the season apparently with a tough injury so he has character. Plus, Green knows him very well, knows Gaunce is hard to play against, and will give him a chance I'm sure. It goes the other direction too.  Gaunce knows what Green wants and will turn into another Virtanen type story under Green and will push out Burmistrov. That line will take off with him. 

You get 14 consecutive days on the conditioning stint which I guess starts tomorrow.  That means he comes back as late as November 11. In the mean time the Comets play 7 games during that span so he could get a lot of work.  They are away in Charlotte this weekend then home for 5 games in a row so Gaunce will get plenty of practice time and won't have to travel much.  Cant wait to see him again he is a good old Comet who has played a lot of games here.  

10 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

This too, with Eriksson out. Our depth this year is crazy. 

Gaunce is going for the full stint in Utica, so it's possible that someone gets hurt in that timeline. If he were to replace someone in our current lineup, I'd like it to be Gagner or Vanek. I think when Gaunce does comeback he'd be an excellent winger for Sutter/Dorsett; not that Granlund has been bad at all, just a more defensive fit for that unit. 

Assuming no further injuries:

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Sedin - Sedin - Virtanen

Granlund - Burmistrov - Vanek

Gaunce - Sutter - Dorsett

Gagner

I really like these lines

1 hour ago, hobart16 said:

Gaunce took a step forward last year in terms of skating, hitting and positioning. He was an effective forechecker and if he had only put up some points he would be hailed as a terrific 3d line center and the Canucks would have left some of these off season acquisitions alone. But he got hurt and he didn't score so the Canucks went out on the market and he has something to prove. He gutted out much of the season apparently with a tough injury so he has character. Plus, Green knows him very well, knows Gaunce is hard to play against, and will give him a chance I'm sure. It goes the other direction too.  Gaunce knows what Green wants and will turn into another Virtanen type story under Green and will push out Burmistrov. That line will take off with him. 

You get 14 consecutive days on the conditioning stint which I guess starts tomorrow.  That means he comes back as late as November 11. In the mean time the Comets play 7 games during that span so he could get a lot of work.  They are away in Charlotte this weekend then home for 5 games in a row so Gaunce will get plenty of practice time and won't have to travel much.  Cant wait to see him again he is a good old Comet who has played a lot of games here.  

You are right except that Green has been grooming Gaunce as a LW for a couple of years.  Green has said that he felt that was where his future was in the NHL.  I think that this comment was based on his skating at the time.  The only time he played centre in Utica is when they had injury troubles.

Recently, Green has said that there are still a few players on the Canucks who he hasn't figured out yet and how to use them optimally.  I have to think that Gagner tops the list.  Also, Burmistrov has looked good some games and not so much in others.  

Green said today that he's not going to make changes for no reason.  If lines are doing well, why change them up?  I have to agree with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality but if the team can be better.....

I think that Granlund is wasted on a shut down line for starters and I think that 5 x 5, the Gagner Burmistrov Vanek line is a bit of a lame duck line

10 minutes ago, oldnews said:

We see if he commands a roster spot.

Until then, hypothetically he becomes the fourth forward on the fourth line - Gaunce Gagner Burmistrov Vanek.....  one of them sits on a rotating basis - platoon style.

I would agree - my comments are based on Gagner's play to date and his (imo) poor showing vs Washington.

Cheers.

Just now, singing chef said:

I would agree - my comments are based on Gagner's play to date and his (imo) poor showing vs Washington.

Cheers.

Gagner is a funny one.  He'll look like this for 10 games....and then he'll score 8 points in three games.  Rinse and repeat.  Streaky player.

My own opinion would be that Gaunce will leapfrog those three vets on the depth chart - but that's assuming he returns as good or better than he was before.  However, that's no easy feat, recovering, missing preseason,and the first 10 games - not easy to jump in without missing a step - so I can't assume anything, but I really like everything that a healthy Gaunce brings - perhaps most obvious is that he will make us harder to play against.   I like the idea of Gaunce and Burmistrov forming a second shutdown line - or the idea of moving Gaunce onto Sutter's line - although if anything Granlund is commanding a greater role so I'm not sure I move him to play with Vanek, Gagner, Burmistrov who imo are not as focal as Sutter's line.  In the end, I think I'd leave the mix relatively as it is and make Gaunce the focal point of that veteran line with Burmistov, Vanek and Gagner competing for the final spots in the top 12.  That all assumes the team remains relatively healthy - the whole question could become a moot point.

13 hours ago, spook007 said:

Did he not score quite regularly for Greene in UTICA?

Im pretty sure he was a point a game player or very close, the thing with Gaunce is he has shown 0 offensive ability at the nhl level. The only reason he was in the NHL is he was a first rounder and the Canucks didnt want to lose him on waivers. That first rounder status can only carry you so far before your considered a bust.

Archived