The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The two year plan (discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

Just been thinking of the Sedin's, and what I hope respectfully is their last year. So, as this year is partially done, I have started this plan, for discussion purposes on TDL 2018 and have ended it approx. July 1st, 2019, which admittedly is less than 2 years, but not a heck of a lot.

TDL 2018 (Feb. 26, 2018).....................................................Move Edler (2 seconds), Vanek(1 third), maybe Burnistrov (1 fourth), (sign or trade Gudbranson) (1 fist + 2nd )

April 2, 2018..........................................................................Signing of Adam Gaudette

April 8, 2018 Sedin's Retire...................................................Loose 1 center and 1 Left wing (3rd Liners)

Draft Day 2018 ( June 22-23, 2018 ).....................................(2018 9th OA) With the extra picks, Benning continues his stocking of our prospect shelves

July 1st 2018 Start of UFA's and College Signings...............1 signing Evander Kane (5 year 6.5 million per)...............go after for 1 NCAA Free agent

Early September 2018...........................................................Demko, Juolevi, Gaudette, Pettersson, and Dahlen all impress at Young Stars Tournament

Late September Training Camp and Exhibitions...................Young Stars continue to dazzle management at camp........MacEwen makes plays well

October 2018.........................................................................Canucks under Green, continue development, and move into a solid mid standings team

Jan.1, 2019.............................................................................Resign MDZ to 2 year contract

TDL 2019................................................................................Canucks move Gagner (1 fouth), Nilsson (1 third)

Draft Day 2019........................................................................(2019 12th OA) With extra picks, Benning continues his stocking of our prospect shelves

It will be interesting to see how Benning and Green Navigate the next 24 months, who we trade, who we sign and most importantly how Benning handles the obvious pressure that will be put on him from the prospects in the summer of 2018.

Benning will have big decisions to make and I for one, am now very interested in every hockey games we play, who's playing well, who makes Benning's decisions difficult, and have now started following Utica and our drafted prospects.

I have not had this much interest in the Canucks in a long time, and I am pretty much a 24/7 fan........since their inception

I would love to hear how you see it unfolding.............not saying I am right, as much as the way, I would like to see it unfold............I would keep Gudbranson, up to around 6 million on a long term deal

13 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I wouldn't count the Sedins out just yet.

Come on.  They are looking SO slow out there, and aren't even playing that bang-bang quick-move intuitive play they used to.  I'd love to see them salvage their season, but it sure looks to me like this could and should be their last season.

I am looking forward to seeing Goldobin, Demko, Pettersson, Juolevi, Dahlen, Lind, Gadjovich, and Brisebois make the big team.

I am looking forward to see if Chatfield, McEneny, MacEwen, and Laplante are able to rise to the next level.

We have the best group of prospects in a LONG TIME, FOLKS.

Interesting with the Sedins, they'll retire when they know they're done. I wonder what they're thinking? I can see them re-signing for $1-2 million for one more year, but I find it astonishing how quickly they've slowed down. It seems only a few years ago they were both in Top 5 NHL scoring.  Now, they'll be lucky to end up with 30 points each. Their leadership is invaluable, but will they continue to need them for that moving forward? Players like Gagner, Vanek (if he stays), Dorsett, Sutter, Eriksson, Tanev, Del Zotto and even Horvat can provide leadership. Maybe it's time to cut the cord. Hello, $14 million. I love the idea of bringing in Kane.

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Interesting with the Sedins, they'll retire when they know they're done. I wonder what they're thinking? I can see them re-signing for $1-2 million for one more year, but I find it astonishing how quickly they've slowed down. It seems only a few years ago they were both in Top 5 NHL scoring.  Now, they'll be lucky to end up with 30 points each. Their leadership is invaluable, but will they continue to need them for that moving forward? Players like Gagner, Vanek (if he stays), Dorsett, Sutter, Eriksson, Tanev, Del Zotto and even Horvat can provide leadership. Maybe it's time to cut the cord. Hello, $14 million. I love the idea of bringing in Kane.

Obviously I don't want to speak for them, but I think this season is an important one for the Sedins. They clearly have loyalty to the team and I think they would be disappointed if they had to hand the team over to Horvat and Co if the team wasn't obviously headed in the right direction to be a contender again.  Almost as if their work "isn't done".  But we HAVE made strides, and DO have a good prospect pool now so they should be able to retire happy knowing our path is clear. Obviously they would have loved to win a cup back in 2011 (and damn, these guys deserved it) but I think if their performance continues to be substandard that retirement should be a no-brainer for them all things considered.

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Just been thinking of the Sedin's, and what I hope respectfully is their last year. So, as this year is partially done, I have started this plan, for discussion purposes on TDL 2018 and have ended it approx. July 1st, 2019, which admittedly is less than 2 years, but not a heck of a lot.

TDL 2018 (Feb. 26, 2018).....................................................Move Edler (2 seconds), Vanek(1 third), maybe Burnistrov (1 fourth), (sign or trade Gudbranson) (1 fist + 2nd )

April 2, 2018..........................................................................Signing of Adam Gaudette

April 8, 2018 Sedin's Retire...................................................Loose 1 center and 1 Left wing (3rd Liners)

Draft Day 2018 ( June 22-23, 2018 ).....................................(2018 9th OA) With the extra picks, Benning continues his stocking of our prospect shelves

July 1st 2018 Start of UFA's and College Signings...............1 signing Evander Kane (5 year 6.5 million per)...............go after for 1 NCAA Free agent

Early September 2018...........................................................Demko, Juolevi, Gaudette, Pettersson, and Dahlen all impress at Young Stars Tournament

Late September Training Camp and Exhibitions...................Young Stars continue to dazzle management at camp........MacEwen makes plays well

October 2018.........................................................................Canucks under Green, continue development, and move into a solid mid standings team

Jan.1, 2019.............................................................................Resign MDZ to 2 year contract

TDL 2019................................................................................Canucks move Gagner (1 fouth), Nilsson (1 third)

Draft Day 2019........................................................................(2019 12th OA) With extra picks, Benning continues his stocking of our prospect shelves

It will be interesting to see how Benning and Green Navigate the next 24 months, who we trade, who we sign and most importantly how Benning handles the obvious pressure that will be put on him from the prospects in the summer of 2018.

Benning will have big decisions to make and I for one, am now very interested in every hockey games we play, who's playing well, who makes Benning's decisions difficult, and have now started following Utica and our drafted prospects.

I have not had this much interest in the Canucks in a long time, and I am pretty much a 24/7 fan........since their inception

I would love to hear how you see it unfolding.............not saying I am right, as much as the way, I would like to see it unfold............I would keep Gudbranson, up to around 6 million on a long term deal

I like most of this but the MDZ extension. 1) I don't think he'll have the longevity into his 30s for the type of minutes he's playing right now, and 2) I'd rather move him for a pick/prospect and make room for hopefully what will be some elite puck moving D from the 2018 draft. 

I'd really like to extend Guddy as well, even up to the 5 mil in the last year of his deal (so maybe 4.5 aav over 5 years in that range).

1.  I would consider re-signing the twins to 'reasonable' contracts after this season - they bring more to the franchise than just ppg output imo.

2.  MDZ looks like a very good FA signing by JB but it's way too early to consider re-signing him to an extension.

3.  No one likes what Quads brings to the team more than me but even I'll admit - no way he should be making more than Tanev (yes, I know Tanev is on a really team friendly contract right now but even then, no way Quads should be making what OP suggests at upwards of 6mil/per. 

4.  No to Kane - see other existing threads. 

Finish wherever, draft 1st overall, DAHLIN! :bigblush:

I wouldn’t go all in on Kane, maybe 4-5 years at 5.5m-6m. He’s been outta trouble for a bit now and let’s see if it continues 

I would throw 12m a year at Tavares though ::D

Baertschi-horvat-boeser

kane-petterson-virtanen

eriksson-gagner-goldobin

granlund-sutter-dorsett

edler-stecher

dahlin-tanev

delzotto/hutton-gudbranson 

A lot can/will unpredictably happen over the period of 2 yrs. As fans, we're all mostly enthusiastic & curious. Such a pivotal time for their future direction, & I'd say we've got some good hockey minds to help chart the course.

I'm wondering if they maintain a steady influx of youth, gradually as the lineup turns over? Or might they package some youth, in order to land a key, vet piece?

Perhaps the biggest plus I hope they land in 2 yrs is the promised return of Tryamkin.

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

1.  I would consider re-signing the twins to 'reasonable' contracts after this season - they bring more to the franchise than just ppg output imo.

2.  MDZ looks like a very good FA signing by JB but it's way too early to consider re-signing him to an extension.

3.  No one likes what Quads brings to the team more than me but even I'll admit - no way he should be making more than Tanev (yes, I know Tanev is on a really team friendly contract right now but even then, no way Quads should be making what OP suggests at upwards of 6mil/per. 

4.  No to Kane - see other existing threads. 

1. The Sedins are done here if 2 or 3 more of our prospects are ready for the show, regardless of the cost to re-sign them.

2. Agree.

3. Quads needs to put up some assists at least, the guy is good but he needs to do more on the other end of the ice. Just as forwards are taught to be defensively responsible, he needs to be offensively responsible.

4. Yes to Kane, he has been amazing this year and last. He is showing that he can play through diversity and come out on top. He's older, more mature, and more responsible. Bring him over to the Canucks if you can Jimmy boy.

Guddy is a core piece to the Canucks and they should be trying to resign him ASAP. He definitely lacks offensive skill but his toughness, defensive skills and leadership is a need this team requires. He is not a 6 million dollar man but he definitely needs to be resigned.

Love the Sedins but they no longer bring anything to this team on the ice. They are definitely Canucks for life but their playing years have come to an end. Their playing skills have seriously declined the past 2 seasons and I think they have too much pride to sign on for any kind of extension.

6 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

1. The Sedins are done here if 2 or 3 more of our prospects are ready for the show, regardless of the cost to re-sign them.

2. Agree.

3. Quads needs to put up some assists at least, the guy is good but he needs to do more on the other end of the ice. Just as forwards are taught to be defensively responsible, he needs to be offensively responsible.

4. Yes to Kane, he has been amazing this year and last. He is showing that he can play through diversity and come out on top. He's older, more mature, and more responsible. Bring him over to the Canucks if you can Jimmy boy.

Yes Kane is the type of player that would fit perfectly with this group. We have the money, lets sign him if the opportunity arises.

14 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

If I was Kane I might just stick around Buffalo. They gave him a chance when everyone hated him, and he proved them right. Now he gets to play with Eichel who is undeniably one of the best players in the league. Why wouldn't you want a guy like that passing you the puck?

I still think he will sign with Vegas simply because he lives in the city. 

I am not a proponent of advanced analytics at all, I don't pretend to understand them to any great degree, but am trying to learn more.  I was looking at the Corsica.com website last night and looking at the Canucks defense.  Gudbranson is notably lower in almost every category than any of the other d players on the team.  I haven't dug into the definitions of each stat to better understand why that might be but found it interesting as I've seen comments regarding his stats referenced in a couple of recent articles I've read.  He's big and tough, I hope that isn't masking underlying issues with his play that we should be considering?   I love watching him play, love watching him crush opposing players but before we offer him a significant long term contract we should be sure what we're signing on for.  

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

With respect it shouldn't be up to them, legends or not. It's not like they are the owners. I also question that train of thought too, because it is not borne out by their post game statements, where they seem reluctant to take personal responsibility for their mistakes or slow play. They love playing, they love being in the NHL and they love Vancouver, so we have to ask just how slow and unexceptional they have to get before they think "they are done"

They are 37 and will be 38 at the start of next season. So we haven't pushed them out of the team, many clubs part company with their "legends" a lot earlier  - Iginla 35, Jagr 28, Datsyuk 37, Owen Nolan 30. etc

it's not, as I have said before, about whether they could still play a lesser role, I'm sure they could but that is not imo what this should be about. This is about moving on, moving forward, changing our style and our identity. - 4 lines running the opposition ragged.

They are slow and no matter who is on their line that line will still be slow. You can't have 3/4 of your team playing a fast game, if you want to be a FAST TEAM.

3 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Interesting and well thought through plan.

Only one question, at which stage over the next two years does Benning put a gun to Erikssons head, and frees up 6 million year?

17 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

With respect it shouldn't be up to them, legends or not. It's not like they are the owners. I also question that train of thought too, because it is not borne out by their post game statements, where they seem reluctant to take personal responsibility for their mistakes or slow play. They love playing, they love being in the NHL and they love Vancouver, so we have to ask just how slow and unexceptional they have to get before they think "they are done"

They are 37 and will be 38 at the start of next season. So we haven't pushed them out of the team, many clubs part company with their "legends" a lot earlier  - Iginla 35, Jagr 28, Datsyuk 37, Owen Nolan 30. etc

it's not, as I have said before, about whether they could still play a lesser role, I'm sure they could but that is not imo what this should be about. This is about moving on, moving forward, changing our style and our identity. - 4 lines running the opposition ragged.

They are slow and no matter who is on their line that line will still be slow. You can't have 3/4 of your team playing a fast game, if you want to be a FAST TEAM.

I agree with you sentiment, alfstonker. I hope that the Sedins are realizing that it's time for them to hang them up. Green's deployment of them this season should be a clear message to them of their place on the team.

While they have been great for the team, so were Hamhuis, Bieksa, Burrows, and Hansen. All were moved because, as players, they offered dwindling returns to the team as far as ability. Treating the Sedins as untouchables at this point is a faulty idea. They were no more important to the 2011 team than Hamhuis, Bieksa, Kesler, Luongo, Burrows, or Hansen. All those players are no longer Canucks, for various reasons. The Sedins are no different.

Archived