The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Maple Leafs Have Interest In Erik Gudbranson

Bo53Horvat

10 minutes ago, Monty said:

Schneider, who I love, had a grand total of 98 NHL games to his name over 4 years when Vancouver traded him. I don’t remember the last time a goalie with that few NHL games under his belt was traded for a 1st round pick at all, let alone a top 10 pick. Would have been great to get more, but the market was what it was.

Not to mention we were 8 million over the cap at the time. We couldn't take back a roster player, had to slash cap.

8 minutes ago, Monty said:

Schneider, who I love, had a grand total of 98 NHL games to his name over 4 years when Vancouver traded him. I don’t remember the last time a goalie with that few NHL games under his belt was traded for a 1st round pick at all, let alone a top 10 pick. Would have been great to get more, but the market was what it was.

I think many of us could see that Schneider had the potential to be a top 5-10 goalie, but he certain wasn't established as that at the time of the trade. 

I was as disappointed as anyone to see Schneider go, but a top 10 pick is a serious asset and we sure picked the right guy. It's a trade that worked out well for both teams. You have to remember that we ended up signing Ryan Miller, who was a more than adequate fill in and cost us nothing but money in the process. Not bad at all.

4 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Are you charged with shop lifting for shopping on Black Friday? Lou didn't rob us. We purposely gave him a slightly discounted rate to keep Schneider out of the west. 

Also, when was the last time a goalie garnered something as high as the 9th OA pick in a trade? You're acting like we traded Schneider for Alex Stojanov.

You are under valuing Schneider.. you are pretty much saying top goalies ain’t worth much in the trade market.. well I don’t recall much top goalies in the league traded period.. off the top of my head.. Schneider Luongo and Patrick Roy in the past 20 years or so? Luongo pending ufa was traded for Bertuzzi despite his luggage still is a 70 point player plus a goalie and a defensemen. Roy who was viewed at the time as possibly declining and got blown out and requested a trade. So not really comparable. If Carey Price was available for trade before this year. I’m sure plenty of teams depending on where they are in the rebuild would gladly give away their top 10 picks + for it. 100 games might not be a lot of games but over the span for 4 years it’s showing consistency. 

7 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I think many of us could see that Schneider had the potential to be a top 5-10 goalie, but he certain wasn't established as that at the time of the trade. 

I was as disappointed as anyone to see Schneider go, but a top 10 pick is a serious asset and we sure picked the right guy. It's a trade that worked out well for both teams. You have to remember that we ended up signing Ryan Miller, who was a more than adequate fill in and cost us nothing but money in the process. Not bad at all.

They still had Luongo - and Lack - and added Markstrom, the following season.

Millier didn't come along until the Benning era - a year later.

8 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

You are under valuing Schneider.. you are pretty much saying top goalies ain’t worth much in the trade market.. well I don’t recall much top goalies in the league traded period.. off the top of my head.. Schneider Luongo and Patrick Roy in the past 20 years or so? Luongo pending ufa was traded for Bertuzzi despite his luggage still is a 70 point player plus a goalie and a defensemen. Roy who was viewed at the time as possibly declining and got blown out and requested a trade. So not really comparable. If Carey Price was available for trade before this year. I’m sure plenty of teams depending on where they are in the rebuild would gladly give away their top 10 picks + for it. 100 games might not be a lot of games but over the span for 4 years it’s showing consistency. 

So Schneider and his 98 games is all of a sudden comparible to Patrick Roy, Luongo and Carey Price? You do realize that Roy and Luongo were both already Vezina trophy winners prior to being traded, right?

I'm not under valuing Schneider at all. He was a great young goaltender with loads of potential that he appeared close to realizing and by all accounts, we had a slightly better offer on the table from Edmonton, but we accepted less so we didn't have to play him 8 times a year or whatever it is. That in itself holds value and that's all there is to it. But comparing him to Vezina winners, hall of famers and future hall of famers is a bit much. 

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

you have some fantasy ideas about what goaltenders command in the market.

you might want to look further - and realistically - into what some of the best goaltenders in NHL history have commanded as trade returns.

Right. You might want to look back and see the reaction the league and other gm's had to the Schneider trade.

2 hours ago, Monty said:

No. Schneider was put on the market at the last second and it was clear that The Canucks wanted Horvat instead of getting fair value they unloaded Schneider to fix their never ending goal-tending saga. They didn't even take the best trade available. 

15 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

No. Schneider was put on the market at the last second and it was clear that The Canucks wanted Horvat instead of getting fair value they unloaded Schneider to fix their never ending goal-tending saga. They didn't even take the best trade available. 

Sorry, “no” to what?

No to me loving Schneider?

No to him playing 98 games over 4 seasons?

No to not remembering a goalie with that few NHL games getting traded for a first round pick, let alone a top 10?

No to the market being what it was?

I am sorry. I’m just genuinely confused what your reply has to do with my post. Are you sure you responded to the right post? If so, that’s like responding to the following:

”That cheeseburger was delicious!”

”No.”

25 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Right. You might want to look back and see the reaction the league and other gm's had to the Schneider trade.

The faux-rage (which was largely the local media echo-chambering each other and the same, usual panicky fans) was just as ridiculous then as it is now.

34 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

It's important to note that the pick we got for Schneider was and still is the highest pick in NHL history traded for a goalie. I couldn't imagine this team without Bo. 

27 minutes ago, aGENT said:

The faux-rage (which was largely the local media echo-chambering each other and the same, usual panicky fans) was just as ridiculous then as it is now.

Pierre Mcguire said at the time of the trade Vancouver could have gotten way more.

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

gallagher for gudbranson? apparently mtl is now open for business. gallagher may be an option.  freidman saying gallagher may be available 

Would love Gallagher here. Would cost more then Guds though. Not sure if we have what they would want. 

4 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

You're saying local media. These were not local media analysts.

Ok local media and some of the crack team at tsn. I like Pierre and all but his trade valuation there is nonsense. He should stock to evaluating 'monster' prospects. 

Archived